PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain install coming soon

Pat Pattle
September 7th, 2010, 03:32
Just wanted to give a heads up on the BoB install. It's projected release is sometime on or before September 15th.

The purpose of this install is to give those interested in this period of the war a basic framework in which to place their favourite aircraft, missions etc. It comes with all new photo-terrain scenery taken from samples of southern England (to which the existing BoB era airfields have been matched). There are also new French airfields in place. The Global layer files have been heavily modded and the qclocations is different in format, just to add a bit more historical 'feel' to it.

It contains at least one example of the main aircraft used in the battle. These use stock effects where possible, the object of the exercise being to keep everything nice and simple. All stock a/c have been modified to not appear in the ui. Many thanks to Rob 'Capt Winters' for his huge input here!

The main idea behind it all is that it is a community project with input from many modellers and modders both past and present and will be open to anyone to add to and improve as they wish.

I'll post more info again when it's up.

cheers,

Clive

alain95
September 7th, 2010, 04:13
Ready to scramble ! :salute:

jaycee
September 7th, 2010, 07:32
Nice one Clive

ndicki
September 7th, 2010, 08:07
I still owe you a Spitfire...

loverboy1
September 7th, 2010, 08:37
oh my this is better than eating pie and ice creame in an addict to that era

tks

lb

garykidman
September 7th, 2010, 09:38
It sounds great and I can't wait

Gary

dewoitine
September 7th, 2010, 09:52
Over Britain :

"- Come-on chaps, Breafing !"

"- Good luck and good show !"

"- Hullo Yellow one, Turban Yellow 2, I got one, got one ! Jesus, I got one of them !"

(Le grand Cirque - Clostermann)

Bravo Clive !

André.

HouseHobbit
September 7th, 2010, 10:05
:salute: BRAVO, Clive,
I am looking forward to this also..
I shall be very pleased to help out with the missions..
Can't wait to set this up....
BRAVO..:salute:

loverboy1
September 7th, 2010, 10:49
adding the 'HH' branded missions is a for sure fire way of bringing this to the masses imho

hope HH' is considered for this project

from a fellow simmer

LB

ndicki
September 7th, 2010, 10:53
Over Britain :

"- Come-on chaps, Breafing !"

"- Good luck and good show !"

"- Hullo Yellow one, Turban Yellow 2, I got one, got one ! Jesus, I got one of them !"

(Le grand Cirque - Clostermann)

Bravo Clive !

André.

Bunch of monkeys on your ceiling, sir! Grab your egg and fours and let's get the bacon delivered.

Daiwilletti
September 7th, 2010, 20:26
Excellent news, Clive!

Because it's a stand alone install by the sounds of it, I hope to provide one or two campaign xmls over time - I'm thinking for very short periods - perhaps as little as a fortnight, so that campaign mission priorities can reflect the action of the day.

David

Pat Pattle
September 7th, 2010, 21:51
Because it's a stand alone install by the sounds of it, I hope to provide one or two campaign xmls over time - I'm thinking for very short periods - perhaps as little as a fortnight, so that campaign mission priorities can reflect the action of the day.

Yep, it's a pure stand-alone install and is just under 3gb total at present.
I was rather hoping that you could look at a campaign(s) for it :), that would be great!

I'd wondered myself about short campaigns, maybe 4 or 5 sorties over just one day rather than as seperate missions.

I shall be very pleased to help out with the missions..

Owen - I'll be uploading a pre-release for you as soon as I have all a/c installed which, if you have time, will give you a few days to make a mission or two. Your input will be very much appreciated sir!

HouseHobbit
September 8th, 2010, 09:06
BRAVO My friend BRAVO..
I am ready and willing..
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Led Zeppelin
September 8th, 2010, 10:09
Some time ago, I've tested several 110's Jabo missions that will be inclided in this add on. They were really great and just as I like missions: plenty of details in briefing/debriefing sections and missions are as historically accurate as possible.

I'm really looking forward to try this one.

mrjmaint
September 9th, 2010, 21:43
I made a BoB campaign XML for ETO. I made specific spawn files for that campaign and added, for my own use, BoB Axis and BoB Allied choices in the spawn selector. I made an Axis and an Allied version of the campaign so the mission priorities could be adjusted for each side.

I like using the campaign engine because with the proper spawn files every mission you fly is different.

I look forward to using them in the new install.

Thanks.

Led Zeppelin
September 9th, 2010, 21:46
Why don't you upload your BoB campaign & spawns? It's a very long process to build and I'm sure many people here would be interested.

mrjmaint
September 9th, 2010, 22:24
Not sure of the permission issues. My spawn tables use a mixture of spawn files I made and some that were existing and some of the spawn files use specific ships or aircraft. And the campaign aircraft tree uses some of the newer uploaded aircraft (i.e. Defiant, Catalina) and a Beaufighter I modified to use for the FAA.

ndicki
September 9th, 2010, 22:34
I don't expect anyone will object to your including references to their aircraft, ships or other models in your campaign. It isn't as though you're including the models themselves. If you need to ask for permissions, you'd be surprised to learn just how approachable most people are! It's all for the common good after all.

Meanwhile, if you're thinking of putting together a package, make sure you include a complete "must-have" list, preferably as a Word or HTML file with clickable links to the downloads necessary.

Pat Pattle
September 9th, 2010, 22:57
Some time ago, I've tested several 110's Jabo missions that will be inclided in this add on. They were really great and just as I like missions: plenty of details in briefing/debriefing sections and missions are as historically accurate as possible.

Great stuff LZ, looking forward to flying them! :)

mrjmaint Not sure of the permission issues. My spawn tables use a mixture of spawn files I made and some that were existing and some of the spawn files use specific ships or aircraft. And the campaign aircraft tree uses some of the newer uploaded aircraft (i.e. Defiant, Catalina) and a Beaufighter I modified to use for the FAA

Like Nigel said, you're not harming anyone by uploading an xml, just include a list of requirements. I'd like to see it anyway, I want to learn how this campaign magic is performed.
Daiwiletti is also on the campaign trail, hopefully it's intricacies can be revealed.

grizzly50
September 10th, 2010, 03:49
I made a BoB campaign XML for ETO. I made specific spawn files for that campaign and added, for my own use, BoB Axis and BoB Allied choices in the spawn selector. I made an Axis and an Allied version of the campaign so the mission priorities could be adjusted for each side.

I like using the campaign engine because with the proper spawn files every mission you fly is different.

I look forward to using them in the new install.

Thanks.

:kilroy:Mrjmaint, just as a forethought to avoid sim issues, I don't at this time know exactly what Pat Pattle used for his install. If you built your campaign for ETO, there may be considerable differences, and problems may occur. You would have to check it very carefully, but by all means, when Pat Pattle has released his project, give it a hearty go. We'd love to see it.

Why don't you upload your BoB campaign & spawns? It's a very long process to build and I'm sure many people here would be interested.

:kilroy:If you built it for ETO, then why not? It may be a good idea to wait for the release of the upcoming ETO 1.40 Update, as there will be even more goodies from which to choose that won't require simmers to download extras.

Not sure of the permission issues. My spawn tables use a mixture of spawn files I made and some that were existing and some of the spawn files use specific ships or aircraft. And the campaign aircraft tree uses some of the newer uploaded aircraft (i.e. Defiant, Catalina) and a Beaufighter I modified to use for the FAA.

:kilroy:Also, the ETO has already states clearly that ETO is intended to be used as a sandbox, and new creations using the contents for uploads for use in ETO are much welcome. It may also help some to ask permission of a particular author of some items to further avoid issues. Any and all extras used in your campaign should definitely be arranged on a requirements list to aid the simmer.

Great stuff LZ, looking forward to flying them! :)

Like Nigel said, you're not harming anyone by uploading an xml, just include a list of requirements. I'd like to see it anyway, I want to learn how this campaign magic is performed.
Daiwiletti is also on the campaign trail, hopefully it's intricacies can be revealed.

:kilroy:Me, too.

Very good luck with that, Mrjmaint, and we hope to see something from from you in the near future.:d

mrjmaint
September 10th, 2010, 21:30
Pat, Griz, LZ and ndicki. Thanks for the interest and input.

I have put together what I have into a package with some simple instructions. I would really like you guys to take a look at what I have and give me some further input.

If any of you are interested PM me with your Email and I will send you the file or a download link, whatever will work best for you.

Thanks.

BeauBrummie
September 11th, 2010, 01:14
Hello Mr Pattle old chap. When you first were musing about this BoB install thingy of yours, I believe I volunteered to do a number a missions based on 'The Other Few' (or "what the other RAF Commands did in the BoB!"). Now I'm wondering whether to do some now or wait until it's been out for a while. then there's the thorny issue of suitable aircraft. Hmmm.

Pat Pattle
September 11th, 2010, 05:49
Jeff, it'll be out early next week hopefully, so maybe afterwards I can work with you on them and provide some invasion barges etc which I didn't have time to include this time around.

ps whatever happened to Banff?

loverboy1
September 11th, 2010, 05:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVdTQ3OPtGY

goosot know now i got a face to his missions ...lol

BeauBrummie
September 11th, 2010, 13:58
ps whatever happened to Banff?

It's merely on hold Clive. I've done some of the buildings. But I then became involved with the Liberators. Also the summer hols were unproductive as far as CFS3 work went. After 1.4 is released I hope to continue and then maybe Dellachy?

HouseHobbit
September 11th, 2010, 14:42
I have the first set of missions finished for the BOB set up..(5 missions)
And are working on the second set..(5 missions)
Will have them in a few hours for upload..( first and second set)
Boy this is FUN..
I like wrecking new birds..
Having a Ball here..
Thanks All for this..
BRAVO..
The Scenery is Wonderful..
BRAVO..

Second set finished, starting third set..
This is a Ball..