PDA

View Full Version : FW190 Sturm

jaycee
September 7th, 2010, 01:13
I was just thinking last night(what a headache that gave me)about the fw190's i have just uploaded, i maybe should have put more in the read me about the Sturmbock, Most of you will know what the Sturmgruppen were, but one or two might not, The FW190 Sturmbock(battering ram), Was a uparmoured and sometimes up gunned fw190, Extra armour around the engine and cockpit and sometimes extra armoured glass on the canopy (so called blinkers) There job was to smash through the massed ranks of USAAF daylight bombers and engage the enemy at extremely close range in tight arrowhead formation, and in some cases even ramming the enemy before parachuting to safety, only volunteers could serve in this elite unit and wore a special badge (the whites of there eye's badge) But as you may well realize all of this extra armour had a detrimental effect on the fw's performance, and they were easy prey for the "little Friends".

Pat Pattle
September 7th, 2010, 03:21
Sounds like a bunch of nutters to me Jim!

jaycee
September 7th, 2010, 03:32
Sounds like a bunch of nutters to me Jim!

I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures Pat.

HouseHobbit
September 7th, 2010, 10:48
These are great birds Jaycee, I do enjoy them..

I have rammed several bombers and gotten out, last nite while working up missions for the Fw 190's..
Managed to clip a few and take them down this way also..

I just love wrecking aircraft....:gameoff:

I have a video from PBS that covered the Great Raid done by this group of pilots
and several of the survivers speak of it all..
Very interesting, the germans expected the pilots to bail out, or crash land..
They were not spoke of in the same way as the japanese did..
They throught many would survive with the armored up birds, long enough to get out..
And they did have some success doing this..

Off to wreck a few more RAF/USAAF bombers, and "bend" my Fw 190 a bit in the process..
And yes I am fair about it all, I ram the Brits too..

Anyone one know of a good body shop near Trier???
I have a couple of bent FW 190's that need some attention..:jump:

jaycee
September 7th, 2010, 10:55
These are great birds Jaycee, I do enjoy them..

I have rammed several bombers and gotten out, last nite while working up missions for the Fw 190's..
Managed to clip a few and take them down this way also..

I just love wrecking aircraft....:gameoff:

I have a video from PBS that covered the Great Raid done by this group of pilots
and several of the survivers speak of it all..
Very interesting, the germans expected the pilots to bail out, or crash land..
They were not spoke of in the same way as the japanese did..
They throught many would survive with the armored up birds, long enough to get out..
And they did have some success doing this..

Off to wreck a few more RAF/USAAF bombers, and "bend" my Fw 190 a bit in the process..
And yes I am fair about it all, I ram the Brits too..

Anyone one know of a good body shop near Trier???
I have a couple of bent FW 190's that need some attention..:jump:

HA HA HA, HH. Sounds like you'r having fun.

garykidman
September 8th, 2010, 10:16
Must have ben suicide pilots to me did they wear the strip around their heads

Gary

ndicki
September 8th, 2010, 10:23
I don't think they took the idea of committing suicide quite as seriously... The Rammjaeger concept is in my opinion at least largely apocryphal, or at least in so far as if a ramming did occasionally take place, accidental. The possibility of accidentally ramming the target aircraft is quire real if your closing speed is high, and you need to be very close in order to guarantee that your weapons will inflict the greatest possible degree of damage. Try it.

jaycee
September 8th, 2010, 13:43
Here is what a Sturm pilot volunteer had to sign.

I have volunteered for the Sturmstaffel of my own free will.I fully understand the fundamental principles of the Staffel.

1.All attacks will, without exception,be carried out in formation and to within the closest possible range of the enemy.

2.Losses suffered during the approach will be compensated for by immediately closing up on the formation leader.

3.The enemy under attack is to be shot down from the shortest range possible or, if this is unsuccessful,destroyed by ramming.

4.The Sturm pilot will remain in contact with the stricken enemy until the point of impact with the ground has been established.

I voluntarily accept the obligation to abide by these principles,and will not return to base without having destroyed my enemy. should i violate these principles, I am prepared to face court martial or dismissal from the Staffel.

It was probably in German though.

jaycee
September 8th, 2010, 14:27
Ever heard of Kommando Elbe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rammkommando_%22ELBE%22

Mathias
September 8th, 2010, 22:01
Don't confuse the Sturmstaffeln with Kommando Elbe, it's not the same.
The Sturmstaffeln where in no way suicide commandos but a highly effective elite unit and ramming was the expection whereas Kommando Elbe is not related to those units.

jaycee
September 9th, 2010, 00:24
Yes M. two completely different and separate units ,And neither of them were suicide units, The Kommando Elbe unit was a ramming unit, But the pilots were supposed to parachute to safety.completely different from the kamikaze concept,

20MikeMike
September 9th, 2010, 03:26
Check this link a Hurricane rams Do17
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/hurricane-that-saved-buckingham-palace-unearthed-after-63-years-734148.html

alain95
September 9th, 2010, 06:35
Nice news 20MikeMike, you should have made a new thread for it !

:engel016:

ndicki
September 9th, 2010, 07:34
Yes M. two completely different and separate units ,And neither of them were suicide units, The Kommando Elbe unit was a ramming unit, But the pilots were supposed to parachute to safety.completely different from the kamikaze concept,

I especially like the bit about jumping out AFTER ramming the enemy aircraft. I suppose in that case, the ramming was supposed to be "gentle" rather than a full-tilt pile-in!

jaycee
September 9th, 2010, 10:39
I especially like the bit about jumping out AFTER ramming the enemy aircraft. I suppose in that case, the ramming was supposed to be "gentle" rather than a full-tilt pile-in!
As the osprey book says N. To survive a ramming attack in a heavily armoured FW190, is much different to surviving a ramming in a standard Bf109, Most of the volunteers were ex bomber pilots or trainees, there requests for familiarization flights were refused due to a shortage of fuel,