PDA

View Full Version : Strange weather in southside VA.

Cazzie
November 21st, 2008, 05:04
It's snowing and there is not a cloud to be seen!

We had a dusting last night, but the mountains of VA are still getting snow and the strong NW winds that have just picked up are blowing that snow down our way. It is a curiosity to see though, perfect blue sky and snow flurries falling from the sky, almost surreal.

Caz

cheezyflier
November 21st, 2008, 05:06
when i lived in northeast tenn i used to love it when it would snow, because at the same time, there would be thunder and lightning. i have never seen that anywhere else.

Toastmaker
November 21st, 2008, 05:24
Here in the Maryland suburbs of D.C., it's the same schizophrenic weather you're having. . . snow flurries one minute and bright sun rays the next !

WTF is going on here ? Somebody quickly report this to Al Gore, please !

:isadizzy:

Snuffy
November 21st, 2008, 06:09
Well it aint snowin here but I can tell you this ... the first coast of FLA is experiencing its longest cold snap this early in the year ... we've had 3 nights now of freezing temperatures and freeze warnings. Highs during the day not clearing 50 degrees.

I tell ya ... it makes a former yankee miss home.

I remember many a day somewhere further north of here where clear skys still released snow flurries ... those were the best days. :applause:

JoeW
November 21st, 2008, 06:12
Snuffy .......
Where is the first coast of Florida? I know about the Gold Coast, The Green Coast and I know where Beer Island is.
First is a new one.

Snuffy
November 21st, 2008, 06:16
Joe ... thats what i've been trying to figure out for the 6 years I've been here. Every tv station and newspaper here call this area the first coast ...

I assume they mean the florida coast from the FLA/GA Line to a point south of there ... most likely Daytona ...

Otherwise known as the Northeast corner of FLA. :d

hews500d
November 21st, 2008, 06:59
when i lived in northeast tenn i used to love it when it would snow, because at the same time, there would be thunder and lightning. i have never seen that anywhere else.

Cheezy, what part of NE Tenn did you live in?

Darrell

Corsair Freak
November 21st, 2008, 10:53
Like cheezy I have to say that lightning during a snow fall is a very strange thing to witness.

FAC257
November 21st, 2008, 15:01
Snuffy & Joe

Official Florida Coasts:
http://www.floridasmart.com/facts/floridascoasts.htm

Lived or worked in several of them at some point or another.

GT182
November 21st, 2008, 15:53
I've seen thunder and lightning a few times while it was snowing up in NY on the Canadian border. It's rare and it does make ya wonder what in h3ll's name is going on. During the Ice Storm of 98 up there there was a bit of thunder and lightning too, IIRC.

TARPSBird
November 21st, 2008, 16:14
We had snow flurries here in Norfolk this AM, it's been real cold here last few days - at least by local standards. :d

hey_moe
November 21st, 2008, 16:31
Caz, we worked on a 50 ton heating system on the roof this morning at Riverside hosipital. With the wind chill and the snow flurries I like to have my...well you know:costumes: Weird weather for this time of the year.

cheezyflier
November 21st, 2008, 19:30
Cheezy, what part of NE Tenn did you live in?

Darrell

i left my heart in sullivan county, near kingsport.

srgalahad
November 22nd, 2008, 01:16
Anyone want to buy some good Canadian natural gas? I need a few extra $$ before I head for Mexico in 5 days .. let's see... 88F for the next week .. no snow in the forecast, hmmmm :icon_lol:

Ickie
November 22nd, 2008, 01:39
This is central florida and freeze warnings in Nov. :bs:

stiz
November 22nd, 2008, 02:16
we had a heavy snow fall here this morning first time in years! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

hews500d
November 22nd, 2008, 06:23
i left my heart in sullivan county, near kingsport.

We were practically neighbors, I grew up in Johnson County, moved away for several years to the Roanoke Va area and now the wife and I are "back home" in Johnson County (actually she's from New Jersey but adjusting to life in the south pretty well :costumes: :bs: ) It's tooooooooooo darn cold here now though!

One does feel as if they've left their heart here though if they ever leave.

Darrell

cheezyflier
November 22nd, 2008, 11:56
One does feel as if they've left their heart here though if they ever leave.

if i am ever able, i'm for sure goin back :wavey:

Snuffy
November 22nd, 2008, 12:27
Snuffy & Joe

Official Florida Coasts:
http://www.floridasmart.com/facts/floridascoasts.htm

Lived or worked in several of them at some point or another.

Thanks for the link Forrest! I found some good info there :)

:applause: