PDA

View Full Version : Paul Rebuffat Spit XIV Weapons

alpha_1
September 6th, 2010, 20:28
Hi All. Does anybody know if there are weapons addons for this aircraft? If my memory serves me correctly these aircraft were used mostly for ground attack, etc. in late '44.

The model, out of the box, only includes drop tanks. Rockets and small bombs would be nice, though I don't know how authentic.

Cheers!

sc7500
September 6th, 2010, 20:45
How About the Groundcrew Brit Weapons Pack ?

"...This is a pack of british weapons for use in custom-made damage profiles.
Included are items like 11.5lb practice bombs up to 500lb bombs, rockets, 18" torpedo,
smokefloats, 250lb depthcharges, MkI and MkVI mines and various racks.
Due to CFS2 limitations the smokefloats, mines and depthcharges work like usual bombs. Itīs
possible though to make the smokefloats actually smoke, but the necessary changes would
affect even your standart bombs. If anybody has a solution, Iīd love to learn about it.
The bombs and the universal carrier come in two versions, light and normal.
The light versions are more framerate friendly.
Color of the bombs is early war dull buff..."

http://www.regshanger.com/Groundcrew/homepage/CFS2/stuff/zip/GC_britweap.zip

SC
:kilroy:

JapLance
September 6th, 2010, 22:35
With some of Rebuffat's Spitfires (e.g. spit_IXc_602.zip (http://www.myzone59.com/rebuffat/spit9.php)) comes a weapon pack comprising two drop tanks (30 and 45gal) and 250 and 500lb bombs. Also included are a couple of pylons.

If I knew were to place them I could add it for you in the .dp file in just a few minutes. Any visual references?

JapLance
September 7th, 2010, 01:27
The 45gal tank in the pack doesn't seem to work *:isadizzy:.

Here is a reworked .DP with the 250 and 500lb bombs added:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z92/JapLance/CFS2/SupermarineSpitfireMkXIVe-02.jpg

alpha_1
September 7th, 2010, 06:12
Thanks a lot, JL. I'll give that a try today. If I knew how to add rockets and pylons I'd do that as well.

Just reading a book on 'operation bodenplatte, Battle of the airfields' by Norman Franks. This was a major German raid/attack on Allied airfields in Europe, January 1945. He talks about the Spit IX, XIV being rocket equipped for ground attack missions in the book. A lot Allied planes got caught on the ground and destroyed. A fair number were also already in the air when the attack came. The Germans lost a lot of planes that day as well.

The book has planted a germ of an idea in my wee brain. Though I'd like to see this done as a campaign, I don't yet have the smarts. I'm going through CC's excellent Handbook, but ideally I'd like to see an experienced expert tackle this one. Lots of possibilities here.

There may just be time for me to dabble with it as we've got lots of new campaigns coming on stream as I write this.....but I'd be talking months here.

Thanks for your input on the weapons! Cheers!

JapLance
September 7th, 2010, 06:42
Adding a few rockets wouldn't be difficult at all, but I just don't know where to put them to be historical. I've seen many pics of Spitfires with bombs, but none of a rocket laden Spitfire.

alpha_1
September 7th, 2010, 07:32
I hear ya. Let me do a little research on this and see what I come up with. Thanks again, my man! Will keep you informed.

Cheers

alpha_1
September 7th, 2010, 08:00
Doesn't look too good for rockets, JL. Did some searching but the best I could come with was the bombs.

It's possible that the rockets upset the aeronautics of the Spits too much so weren't used. Thanks so much for your input!

Cheers!:salute:

alpha_1
September 7th, 2010, 09:02
I've found Cryintoto's Spit IX SAAF with various rockets from the spitpak weapons. Took a couple of screenies and will try to insert them here.

Question: Can these be adapted and used on Paul Rebuffat's Spit XIV?

Rami
September 7th, 2010, 09:20
Thanks a lot, JL. I'll give that a try today. If I knew how to add rockets and pylons I'd do that as well.

Just reading a book on 'operation bodenplatte, Battle of the airfields' by Norman Franks. This was a major German raid/attack on Allied airfields in Europe, January 1945. He talks about the Spit IX, XIV being rocket equipped for ground attack missions in the book. A lot Allied planes got caught on the ground and destroyed. A fair number were also already in the air when the attack came. The Germans lost a lot of planes that day as well.

The book has planted a germ of an idea in my wee brain. Though I'd like to see this done as a campaign, I don't yet have the smarts. I'm going through CC's excellent Handbook, but ideally I'd like to see an experienced expert tackle this one. Lots of possibilities here.

There may just be time for me to dabble with it as we've got lots of new campaigns coming on stream as I write this.....but I'd be talking months here.

I covered that briefly in Battle for Europe. If you download that campaign or my updated Dora / Pfeil / Spitfire campaign, there's an updated .dp file for the Spitfire Mk. IXc.

alpha_1
September 7th, 2010, 09:41
Thanks Rami!

tonybones2112
September 7th, 2010, 18:34

Alpha, though not related directly to your pursuit of the Spit, I have a conundrum regarding books I've tried to solve since I was a child. The first is Saburo Sakai mentioning towards the end of the war the Zero being "...equipped with FOUR cannon now...". The second is a paperback recounting different US aces of WW2, Charley McDonald being descibed as firing "...his TWO 20mm cannon..." in a P-38.

Some of these editors really need to read their work.

HP Bonescraft

alpha_1
September 7th, 2010, 18:39
Hey Bones, it's all about research methinks! Some of these authors did lots, some did little and the results usually come home to roost.

I read Ernie Pyle's book about WWII and I reserve judgement on it. I think he dandied lots of stuff up.

JapLance
September 7th, 2010, 22:01
I've found Cryintoto's Spit IX SAAF with various rockets from the spitpak weapons. Took a couple of screenies and will try to insert them here.

Question: Can these be adapted and used on Paul Rebuffat's Spit XIV?

Of course they can. I'll check it out and try to replicate it in the XIV :icon31:

alpha_1
September 8th, 2010, 05:20
JL........thank you, Man!

JapLance
September 8th, 2010, 06:44
Here it is.

I have used the PHF Burnage Typhoon rockets (RAF_60lbs_rocket) instead of the ones in the Spit weapon pack, just because I find them better scaled.

alpha_1
September 8th, 2010, 07:00
Absolutely (blank) awesome, JL. I owe you for this, thanks again!:ernae:

Discus
September 8th, 2010, 07:17
Taking a look at whatīs being interchanged in the forum. My little contribution:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/images/spit_rockets.jpg"The breakout from the Normandy beachhead was achieved by a classic pincer movement between British and American troops, which forced the retreating German Army into the Falaise Gap. Here, 22 squadrons of Typhoons and Spitfires decimated the enemy forces, attacking with rockets, bombs and guns."

Source: http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/spit7.html
after a Google image search of "Spitfire + rockets"

It looks as if only 2 rockets were used by only 1 Spitfire unit, nš 74. I think they had nothing better to do!

Cheers, Discus

alpha_1
September 8th, 2010, 07:41
Thanks for that, Discus. JL, just a wee screenshot for ya!

Who's a happy boy?:jump: I was pretty sure that some Spits DID carry these puppies.

Cheers!

JapLance
September 8th, 2010, 22:08
Taking a look at whatīs being interchanged in the forum. My little contribution:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/images/spit_rockets.jpg"The breakout from the Normandy beachhead was achieved by a classic pincer movement between British and American troops, which forced the retreating German Army into the Falaise Gap. Here, 22 squadrons of Typhoons and Spitfires decimated the enemy forces, attacking with rockets, bombs and guns."

Source: http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/spit7.html
after a Google image search of "Spitfire + rockets"

It looks as if only 2 rockets were used by only 1 Spitfire unit, nš 74. I think they had nothing better to do!

Cheers, Discus

Thanks Discus, the typical British rocket rails look more logical to me. With that pic I can now add them to my .dp file.

alpha_1
September 9th, 2010, 06:11
If you update, JL, will you pass it on please? As I said, I'm dumber 'n a bag full of hammers and looking at any dp file gives me vertigo.

I don't know if you can upload this to the Library but I think it might be worth it. There seems to be a growing interest in the late '44-45 ETO era as of late, and I betcha some guys will grab it purdy quick.

A lot of the missions flown at that time, were, of course ground attack, what with the almost demise of the Luftwaffe. I'm sure there'll be some missions, if not campaigns coming that will reflect that.

Cheers!

JapLance
September 10th, 2010, 05:51
If you update, JL, will you pass it on please? Sure, I'll add it to this thread, just like the previous ones.

I don't know if you can upload this to the Library but I think it might be worth it. There seems to be a growing interest in the late '44-45 ETO era as of late, and I betcha some guys will grab it purdy quick.

A lot of the missions flown at that time, were, of course ground attack, what with the almost demise of the Luftwaffe. I'm sure there'll be some missions, if not campaigns coming that will reflect that.

I don't upload them to the library for just one reason: they're not fully tested, and a wrong .dp file can crash your CFS2. I usually create them for my own use, and have, literally, hundreds of .dp files in my HD. I probably spend longer making them than playing the game :running:.

Rami
September 10th, 2010, 10:32
Japlance,

Outstanding work! I also would encourage you to perhaps consider uploading this enhanced .dp permanently. :salute:

JapLance
September 11th, 2010, 07:17
Well, here is the final version, taking into consideration the pic Discus found. The different options now are:

-1x 30gal drop tank
-1x 500lb bomb
-2x 250 lb bombs
-1x 500lb 2x 250lb bombs
-2x 250lb bombs LR
-2x 60lb rockets
-1x 500lb bomb 2x 60lb rockets (I think the belly pylon holds a 500lb bomb, not 100% sure though).

If any other evidence is found of the 8x 60lb rockets as in the previous version, I'll add it.

Rami, thanks for your interest in getting it uploaded, but for the moment I'll keep the file just to the forum, where I can get some feedback. Maybe later on...

alpha_1
September 11th, 2010, 10:49
JL you are a wizard, man! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to do this. As the ubiquitous Dirtman would say......"A tanker truck full of beer for that man!"

I'll give it a whirl and let you know, but I'm already sure it's terrific!

Cheers!:ernae:

alpha_1
September 11th, 2010, 20:33
18426Ain't she a beaut? 2 X 20's, 2 X 60lb rkts, 1 500 pounder.....loaded for bear! Very nice, Japlance!

Thanks again!:salute:

JapLance
September 12th, 2010, 00:14
18426Ain't she a beaut? 2 X 20's, 2 X 60lb rkts, 1 500 pounder.....loaded for bear! Very nice, Japlance!

Thanks again!:salute:

Yeah, it looks great, but the merit is for the model creators (plane and weapons). I just put a few pieces in place.

Alpha_1, I'd like to know how does it behave when hit in combat. Does it look right? (I mean smoke, fire, fluids... stuff like that). Are there double planes when a part should come off?. Any crashes to desktop when hit by enemy bullets?.

Discus
September 12th, 2010, 03:56
Havent proved it yet but looks good!!

Keep on.

alpha_1
September 12th, 2010, 04:00
I'll try putting it through it's paces in QC for starters, JL and let's see what happens. I''ll use the same loadout, so we know she'll take some hits for sure. She seems to handle very well loaded but in combat could be a different story. I'll also fly 'er loaded as a replacement plane in a mission or two and see what happens.

alpha_1
September 12th, 2010, 05:29
'K.....QC........got myself shot down for the betterment of the game (Sheeeeesh!......what a sacrifice!)...and I can report to you that there were no problems with this aircraft whatsoever. She took multi hits, caught fire, and spun in nicely!

I think she's a keeper, Japlance. Is there anything else you'd like me to do with this?

Cheers!

JapLance
September 12th, 2010, 09:26
That's fine. Glad to see it seems to work.

Keep using it and report here if you (or anybody else for that matter) see anything strange.

alpha_1
September 12th, 2010, 11:08
Will do!

bearcat241
September 12th, 2010, 14:26
Can't do much about the PR 45 gal slipper, even with scasm. But if you have the SAAF Spitfire's Spitpak Additional Weapons, it contains a 45 gal slipper tank that fits nicely when needed for those extra long sorties.

[HARDPOINTS]

mount.X=0,0.2,-2.10

[PAYLOAD.X]

; Payload = 45 gal droptank
mount.X=spit_slipper_tank, 1, -1

[STRINGS]

"payload_name.2"=45gal droptank

alpha_1
September 12th, 2010, 17:31
Nice one, Bearcat! We'll give this a go as well, thanks very much.

Cheers!:ernae:

PJMack
September 12th, 2010, 18:35
JL........thank you, Man!

Try this one. Thanks again for the B25,:salute:

demorier
September 13th, 2010, 01:03
I made up some of my own loads years ago. I think I used the Brit. weapon pack mentioned earlier.

alpha_1
September 13th, 2010, 03:37
I know how the Dirtman feels. Gotta love ground attack, it somehow satisfies my desire to peacefully blow things up!:jump:

JapLance
September 13th, 2010, 23:22
Bearcat is right, there are 45 (and 90gal) slipper tanks around, but the airfile of the plane is set for a 30gal tank. If you really want to get the extra range you'll need to change it.

bearcat241
September 14th, 2010, 01:56
But of course, my good man...you can't get 45 or 90 gals in a 36 gal tank :icon_lol:

Oglivie
September 14th, 2010, 18:29
You could get 136 liters into a 36 U.S gallon tank. Or 36 U.S gallons into 30 Imperial gallon tank. Also 108 U.S. gallons into a 90 Imperial gallon tank. Or 54 U.S. gallons into a 45 Imperial gallon tank.:kilroy:

alpha_1
September 14th, 2010, 19:37
HAHAHAHA! Youse guys is splittin' hairs, which if I might say so, at dis age, we don't wanna lose any!

PJ, You're more than welcome.....anytime

PomBee
September 15th, 2010, 05:44
I can tell you that Post-war Spits (FR18 and F21/22) were able to be literally festooned with weapons. Check out his one by A.F Scrubb. You'll be amazed.......

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb.cgi?section=vintage&file=Spitfire22.zip

Cheers,

PomBee. :ernae:

alpha_1
September 15th, 2010, 12:30
Good heads up, PomBee.....thanks!

PomBee
September 15th, 2010, 17:47
Your welcome. I used this Spit as the basis for an FR18 repaint for my Middle Eastern Install. A.F. has uploaded a revised version to SOH, but it doesn't have the same .dp, so there are fewer loadouts.

PomBee.:salute: