PDA

View Full Version : The takeover of America by Belgium has begun.........

Cazzie
November 21st, 2008, 03:56
The first thing an enemy does is destroy culture. Well folks...it's started...

So being in a daring mood, yesterday I purchased a six pack of the first new beer from Budweiser since it's takeover: "American Ale." You know what? In a scary turn of events two things will happen: folk will buy it because it's Budweiser and Americans will actually learn what real beer tastes like.

Good Gawd 'a mighty, it's actually quite good. In a cross between fine British bitter and dark European brews, it's nutty and mellow and highly potent. Why...I can see my fellow citizens joining me in a rousing singing of Lee Greenwood's "Proud To Be An American" while waving a Bel-jin flag in one hand and a 12 ounce bottle of American Ale in another.

Those Bell-jins are quite clever folks; the beer is drinkable from a bottle which is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo un-European. NO ONE DRINKS BITTER FROM A BOTTLE. 'Cept maybe the Scots and Irish. I felt no guilt or fear as I popped the cap off of my second one, which - by the way, was not an un-cooth Twist-Off cap, but rather the European type. Then I poured it out into my glass and that's when it dawned on me that those wily Bel-jins were truly mad.

There's only twelve ounces! Not the European pint but the wimpy American measurement. Ahhhhh...crafty. Not too much change lest those American catch on to the Euro-attempts to control their minds.

In all seriousness, this beer is reeeeeeeeeally potent. Please don't drive after drinking it. I fear that trendy college age kids will see the commercials on TV and think it's as pussy-weak as old Budweiser. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Take care, the invasion has begun.

Caz

Cratermaker
November 21st, 2008, 04:41
They started the invasion with waffles ya know... :mixedsmi:

This is hilarious. They take over Budweiser and they are now attempting to "correct" the beer market in the USA. Bravo!!!

I, for one, welcome our new Belgium overlords! :costumes:

Panther_99FS
November 21st, 2008, 04:54
So being in a daring mood, yesterday I purchased a six pack of the first new beer from Budweiser since it's takeover: "American Ale." Good Gawd 'a mighty, it's actually quite good.

Caz

I must admit that "American Ale" is the best thing to come out of Anheiser-Busch in their entire history....:mixedsmi:

cheezyflier
November 21st, 2008, 05:09
that's pretty funny :icon_lol:
it almost makes me wish i liked beer so i could try it and appreciate the difference.

Toastmaker
November 21st, 2008, 05:19
Yeah, Cheezy - I'm not a beer drinler either but it makes for a nice story - Go Belgium !!

Captain Tenneal
November 21st, 2008, 07:01
I think I'll stick to Sam Adams...or Blue Moon, but there maybe winds of change in the air.

Daveroo
November 21st, 2008, 07:10
Yeah, Cheezy - I'm not a beer drinler either but it makes for a nice story - Go Belgium !!

drinler???? you sure about that???? hehehehehe:d

Daveroo
November 21st, 2008, 07:10
makes me want to start drinkin again...........

Craig Taylor
November 21st, 2008, 07:13
Blue Moon is actually brewed by Molson-Coors...

Cratermaker
November 21st, 2008, 07:34
My favorite is Paulaner Salvator Double Bock (Doppelbock). GOOD stuff.

I don't have beer very often, which is good because this beer is a bit pricey...

Captain Tenneal
November 21st, 2008, 07:39
I know, I work for one of the "big 3" so i get to taste most new beers before the general public didn't like "American Ale" that much. although "free" is my favorite beer!! :jump:

personally I prefer craft beers from the locally owned microbrews
love this place (http://www.lengthwise.com/)

Craig Taylor
November 21st, 2008, 07:50
We don't have many locally-owned microbreweries around here, but I've always been a fan of craft-brewed beers. I remember reading a year or so ago that Anheuser Busch owned a stake in Redhook, which makes a tasty IPA and ESB. I guess something was bound to rub off.

I've got some Magic Hat seasonal (from South Burlington, VT) put away for the weekend. We visited them on two summers ago. Good stuff.

Cazzie
November 21st, 2008, 08:42
We have a real nice home-brewery down Tom's way in Greensboro, NC. I always pick up a 12-pack when I go down to that city for model meetings and bike supplies.

If you're ever in the Greensboro area, drop by the Red Oak Brewery and get some Red Oak, it's good beer. Here's their website: http://redoakbrewery.com/contact.php

Otherwise, I have to get what is available and they had American Ale on sale, so rather than get my usual "rather" expensive Killian's Red, I said why not and opted for the cheaper brew. It's good stuff, but you have to like a tint of bitters in your beer. I like it also, because Anheiser-Busch didn't add carbonation like they do to Bud Soda to give it that bite, but only the natural carbonation that comes about in the brewing process.

Caz

GT182
November 21st, 2008, 08:47
The takeover of America by Belgium has begun.........

Well, they'll just have to get in line won't they. There's a whole bunch of other countries that have beat them to it. :costumes:

I'm waiting for this..... http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/11/10/beer-cancer-health.html
The Belgians will need to top this before their grand takeover succeeds. :d

Toastmaker
November 21st, 2008, 09:32
drinler???? you sure about that???? hehehehehe:d

Aw, jeeez - kaut agin. . :isadizzy:

Snuffy
November 21st, 2008, 09:59
I didn't drink Bud before ... I'll be damned if I start now ... :wavey:

I'll take my Coor's any day.

wombat666
November 21st, 2008, 23:11
Best of the local beers brewed in Oz would be 'Redback', one of those 'mini-breweries' that has resisted take-over bids galore.

BTW, the 'American Ale' sounds like one of our brews.

The winds of change might make 'American' brews acceptable .........:d

jmig
November 22nd, 2008, 04:36
I love beer. Whenever I travel I look for local beers. At restaurants I will ask if they have any local beer and usually try it out.

Snuffy, I have always liked Coors at a company. The Coors boys political prejudices tend to parallel mine. In the USAF we use to call it Colorado Kool-Aid. It is still rather tasteless to me. I consider Coors Lite to be a repetitive expression.

TeaSea
November 22nd, 2008, 05:41
My wife will tell you I've become a beer snob.

I went to Germany in 1986 thinking Michelob was about as good as it gets and that American Beer was just fine. All that ended in about 30 seconds after I was handed my first pils in Kitzingen. My goodness! Beer with real taste!! Beer that had a bouquet!! Beer that was, well, beer!!! What American Beer was before Prohibition wiped everyone out!!

After spending almost half of my military career in Europe, I became very spoiled. So, I was thrilled to begin to see the rise of the micro-breweries into something resembling a real industry, and local beers begin to emerge. Sam Adams isn't really a micro-brewery, but they put out a good product and whenever I"m on the road I can usually get one with dinner now. So we've come a long way baby.

Now, as for Bud's new product, I've picked up a6-pack and found it to be pretty good. Yep, still like my Wurzburger Hofbrau, my Spaten, or my Lohr Am Main 1898, but the American Ale is not too bad, and it's a whole lot cheaper.

Now if we can only get the bottles the right size....

Terry
November 22nd, 2008, 06:56
If you were around in 1919
(just before Prohibition started)
and came upon the following poster.........

I mean seriously, would you quit drinking?

wombat666
November 22nd, 2008, 07:40
They're safe from me!
:isadizzy:

Captain Tenneal
November 22nd, 2008, 18:40
WHOOOOaaa HOOOtttt!!!!

luckydog
November 22nd, 2008, 19:29
If you were around in 1919
(just before Prohibition started)
and came upon the following poster.........

I mean seriously, would you quit drinking?

Now those are are some dog butts I'd NEVER sniff !!!

GT182
November 23rd, 2008, 04:45
Yeah LD, they even have the marks from 10 foot poles that were used to shove them off. They sure is fugly. :costumes: