PDA

View Full Version : What I've been up to lately...

Bjoern
September 5th, 2010, 15:24
I've been polishing Tom Ruth's A300-600 (and A310) a bit.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/FS%20Development/th_A306_310_Mods.jpg (http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/FS%20Development/A306_310_Mods.jpg)

Doesn't look like much, huh?

Well, the superficial differences are VC textures twice the size of the original ones (not sure if there's a difference 'though). The rest is all "under the bonnet".

- Pop-Ups for the PFD, MFD, FMC and both ECAM screens
- Both ECAMs can now be controlled independently from each other with the control unit on the pedestal
- Integration of Garett Smith's freeware FMC
- FDE merged with Aerodesigns' one
- Engine gauge animation improved
- Tooltips for every controllable and working switch in the cockpit as well as the instruments
- The battery switch also serves as the main avionics switch as well as a "cold and dark" switch
- Enhanced fuel system and bleed air system
- Engine startup now requires sticking to the checklist or you'll be sitting on the tarmac forever
- Engine damage system. Abuse the engine's EGT for too long or too often and you'll lose it!
- ...and dozens of other small fixes.

The damage component is still WIP and quite simple, but it's working. Every excess of the EGT limit triggers a "damage" meter that has a certain upper limit. This limit is reached after five minutes of continuous abuse. If the engine is pulled back below the EGT limit again, the damage meter stops and part of the damage "heals" while part of it remains as a permanent component. If the engine is exceeding the EGT limit after that again, the damage meter starts running again, but with the already sustained damage taken into account. This means that you now have a smaller time window before the engine gives out. To make matters worse, the permanent damage left over can rapidly increase as well. So depending on how you treat the engines, you'll get an engine out from somewhere between one, (maybe?) a dozen or a hundred EGT excesses.

For now, all I've modeled is the maximum EGT for take-off. I want to implement the ones for continuous operation and ground start as well. Still need to figure that out, but at least the basic damage logic is working.

If the whole damage stuff proves to be working in daily flight use, I could turn this into something like "Real Engine" for turbines...

Anyways, so much for what I've enhanced my XML coding abilities with in the last days or weeks.

SADT
September 6th, 2010, 01:15
Bjoern: Looking good! :salute:

Quick Question: You say the battery turns off the avionics as well - does this mean we have to tur off the battery to turn off the avionics?

Daube
September 6th, 2010, 03:11
Wow, looks like you did a great job here !
I cannot see clearly on that small screenshot, but could you integrate the freeware FMC directly on the virtual cockpit, or just as popup ?
In any case, thanks a lot. It's really cool to see people like you investing time and efforts for making cool freewares even cooller :)

Bjoern
September 6th, 2010, 11:26
Quick Question: You say the battery turns off the avionics as well - does this mean we have to tur off the battery to turn off the avionics?

Yep.

While Tom's VCs offer a lot of moddability they're very restricted in terms of adding new switches, so all I can do is remap the functionality of the existing stuff.

Since I usually turn on the avionics along with the battery anyways (to get clearance), mapping the missing avionics switch to the one for the main battery seemed the most logical option to me.

I cannot see clearly on that small screenshot

Hint: It's just a thumbnail. I always post my screenshots in this fashion to keep the thread layout intact (1680*1050 screenies mess it up fairly well).

but could you integrate the freeware FMC directly on the virtual cockpit, or just as popup ?

It *is* integrated in the VC! Tom originally just placed a placeholder gauge in the FMC's location. The VC texture remains intact, but the replaced FMC underneath it is fully functional, save the power switch!

It's really cool to see people like you investing time and efforts for making cool freewares even cooller :)

It's what I do. :d

Even though I wish more people would do something like this. :/