PDA

View Full Version : Navy version P51

Emil Frand
September 5th, 2010, 05:49
In September 1944, Mustin Field played host to trials for a very unusual aircraft:
an Army P-51 Mustang which had been modified to evaluate its use from Navy carriers.
The program was given the name “Project Seahorse”.
An early-series P-51D was selected: P-51D-5-NA serial # 44-14017 which had been retained by North American Aviation
was given the Navy Bureau of Aeronautics (BuNo) 57987.
A tailhook was fitted, which required an extended keel line on which to fix the tailhook attachment point.
A catapult hook was fitted on the fuselage centerline, just forward of the wing.
To cope with hard carrier landings, the tires were replaced with special high-pressure ones.
The main undercarriage shock absorbers received increased air pressure to reduce bouncing upon landing.
The airframe was also reinforced in various points to withstand the extra stress.

Thus modified, 44-14017 was redesignated ETF-51D & sent to Mustin Field for initial testing in September 1944.
The pilot in charge of testing the ETF-51D was Navy Lieutenant Robert Elder,
an experienced naval test pilot who had already conducted carrier-suitability trials with several types of aircraft.
One of the runways at Mustin Field was specially modified in order to test the naval Mustang.
Markings simulating the size of an aircraft carrier's deck were realized
and arrester cables were installed, as well as a launch catapult.
During the months of September & October 1944, Lt. Elder made nearly 150 simulated launches & landings with the ETF-51D.
Sufficient data concerning the Mustang's low speed handling had to be gathered before carrier trials could begin.
The Mustang's laminar-flow wing made for little drag & high speed but was relatively inefficient at low speed, resulting in a high stall speed.
As the arrester cables could not be engaged at more than 90 mph,
Elder reported that “from the start, it was obvious to everyone that the margin between the stall speed of the aircraft (82 mph)
and the speed imposed by the arrester gear (90 mph) was very limited.”
By late October 1944, Elder had amassed enough data
and the ETF-51D entered the next stage: live carrier operations at sea,
thus ending its tenure at Mustin Field.
more info and pics:
http://www.mustang.gaetanmarie.com/articles/naval/naval.htm

Panther_99FS
September 5th, 2010, 05:57
I'm surprised that the USN even wanted to test an inline, water-cooled fighter....

Emil Frand
September 5th, 2010, 06:05
That too, I found this while reading info about an old airfield in my hometown from the 30s and 40s, Philly is nearby and I was stationed there for a spell so I read on about that airfield and this was included in the history. It amazes me to still be learning about stuff they did back then and having never heard about this before.

Railrunner130
September 5th, 2010, 10:29
I hadn't heard of it before either. In hindsight, I'm surprised that I hadn't. It makes sense to utilize a single design for several different services. Especially one that is as good a design as the Mustang.

If they had decided to go ahead with it, I imagine the carrier-based P-51s would've received leading edge slats to decrease the stall speed. Perhaps, the Army would've looked at it to increase maneuverability. Possibly, it would've led to all Mustangs receiving leading edge slats.

PRB
September 5th, 2010, 10:44
Cool! Now I'll have to make one of these for my P-51s! :icon_lol:

stansdds
September 5th, 2010, 13:28
The USN actually tested a number of USAAF aircraft. The P-51 was a dead end, but the USN did use a large number of B-25's, most went to the USMC as bombers and anti-shipping patrol aircraft as did some B-24D's. The USN also had some B-26 Marauders which spent much of their lives as target tugs.

The USAAF, likewise, tested some USN aircraft, namely the SBD Dauntless, re-designated as the A-24, and the SB2C, re-designated as the A-25. The F4U-1 Corsair was evaluated and was found to be a good performer, but was not adopted by the USAAF.

FAC257
September 5th, 2010, 13:56
Over at Flightsim in the library under "navy-1.zip" is a Navy repaint for the A2A P-51.

FAC

Willy
September 5th, 2010, 14:01
Lockheed proposed a naval variant of the P-38 Lightning to the Navy, but along with the water cooled inline engines, the Navy decided that it would be too large to operate on the limited space carriers. They later decided that the Midway class carriers could operate the F7F Tigercat.

norab
September 5th, 2010, 17:08
more details here
http://mustang.gaetanmarie.com/articles/naval/naval.htm

Odie
September 6th, 2010, 11:13
Wasn't this dubbed the Sea Horse during trials?