PDA

View Full Version : Merging off runway...

G-UNIT-27
November 20th, 2008, 22:48
lol... Hi guys :icon_lol:

um, whenever I try'n take off, my plane (this happens in all planes :Z) sorta slowly creeps off the left of the runway as I move forward.

I don't have a twist feature on my joystick, so I shouldn't be able to do a turn without banking.

when it moves forward on the runway, its like it wants to move that way, there is no way I can avoid it. but once I get some leverage, usually when i'm on the grass, I can then get in the air and keep going from there, y'know, dodging other planes and hangars and stuff.

but if I dont touch the joystick and just let it take off, I end up leaning about 20 degrees to the left, but in normal flight I dont get any undesired turning, it only happens when taking off.

originally, I thought it was the wind blowing me, but I don't seem to have any wind settings anywhere..

any ideas?

BeauBrummie
November 20th, 2008, 23:14
Hi G-unit-27,

Many aircraft swung to one side on take off, some were notorious for it. Initially as there isn't enough airspeed for the rudder to work, use left or right brakes by pressing , or . keys. I'daslo thing of upgrading to a twist joystick, makes things a lot easier and smotther and more realistic. they don't cost much nowadays.

Beau

G-UNIT-27
November 20th, 2008, 23:29
hmm.. thanks I'll try that later. not in the mood for games right now

but is this a bug? or intentional?

either way, I would like to know how to stop it from happening all together. Even if I can counteract it, it kinda spoils the thrill of taking off for me.

remcoc
November 21st, 2008, 02:47
Hi G-Unit-27,

It has to do with the torque-effect (if I'am not mistaken). Because of the turning of the prop the nose will turn to left or right (depends on the direction in which the prop turns). Perhaps there are other physical forces at work too, but I don't know them.
The effect is not supposed to happen when taking off with jetplanes.

There is a solution that I use: unlock the tail-wheel (the message is shown on the downside of your screen when starting the engine after remove the brakes for take-off.) Rudder-input during take-off has more effect and so you can take-off in a rather straight line. First time you will spin over the runway, but you will get the hang of it soon. The amount of the effect will change during take-off, so you will have to adjust rudderinput.

Remco

gaw
November 21st, 2008, 03:43
it's intentional....part of the flight model. to correct drift on take-off without a twist stick use your keyboard , or . (left or right brake) as well as 0 or 3 (left or right rudder) either way you can straighten yourself out for take-off but keyboard corrections are awkward and slow.....grab a twist stick....it's the best thing you can do for yourself or failing that download the keyboard commands here @ SOH

noelberrier
November 21st, 2008, 09:00
grab a twist stick....it's the best thing you can do for yourself

grabbing a rudder pedal set would be an even better thing :icon_lol: and would solve both rudder and differential brake issues ...

... remains a price issue I admit :banghead:

middle
November 21st, 2008, 11:54
There are some planes that have so much torque that not only does on ehave to have full rudder for awhile but also a tap on the brakes on one side or another aids in talking off in a straight line

Nonato
November 21st, 2008, 12:55
grabbing a rudder pedal set would be an even better thing :icon_lol: and would solve both rudder and differential brake issues ...

... remains a price issue I admit :banghead:

...and it is definitely not easy to find (at least around here...:banghead:)

G-UNIT-27
November 21st, 2008, 12:59
ah thanks guys. Been really helpful, I'll try all this too

the right wheel brake works good though, I didn't know how to control the rudder with the keyboard either Ill give that a go

I also discovered my joystick has something wrong with the main column, that when its physically in idle, it will be very slightly leaning to the left. I sometimes got this in racing games aswell. -- off to get a new joystick then :costumes: thanks!

war.ace
November 21st, 2008, 13:28
this even happens in fsx

gaw
November 21st, 2008, 13:29
yeah....new twist stick a must but do dial it in from time to time to make sure it's centered correctly too....good luck

Squiffy
November 21st, 2008, 15:31
Yes this is a natural flight phenomonon and is a good example of the difference between sims and arcade games. The drift happens as stated earlier because of the torque effect from the spinning prop. Also from p-factor and slipstream. These are gyro-precession factor (p) that makes the spinning axis want to tilt one way. I think it's even related to the spin of the earth? Need a follow up on that one. Slip stream is the corkscrew of air coming off the prop and rotating back along the fuselage. One side of it of course, flows onto the side of the vertical stabalizer as it travels back an pushes it in the opposite direction. Torque, slip-stream, and p-factor make the nose move, epecially at full power. This also effects you when lining up a target in a turning dogfight. Watch what happens when you adjust propeller pitch at max climb and turn. The nose will come around a little more and POW! Splash one :d

G-UNIT-27
November 21st, 2008, 15:58
Interesting. It's also good to know it isn't a bug :) thanks for filling me in!

I went out and bought a shiny new joystick with twist and a hat switch and it's so much fun, much easier to take off now

thanks guys, I appreciate it

lewis11777
November 21st, 2008, 15:59
Also under the realism options you can select auto rudder and I'll bet yours is turned off.