PDA

View Full Version : Westland Whirlwind Prop for FSX?

falcon409
September 4th, 2010, 07:29
I know this airplane got a lot of attention back when it was first released, but was there ever a prop update for it in FSX?:salute:

LouP
September 4th, 2010, 07:56
Good question, I also enjoyed that aircraft in FS9 so I'll be watching here.

LouP

falcon409
September 4th, 2010, 08:30
Good question, I also enjoyed that aircraft in FS9 so I'll be watching here.
LouP
Actually, if you check the archives by "Author" and type in "lionheart", you'll find some nice repaints, a panel update and an adjusted airfile and aircraft.cfg file for it. As far as I can tell, it ports perfectly to FSX except for the prop texture.

hschuit
September 4th, 2010, 09:22
With help from Lionheart, I pieced several bits & pieces together and ended up with a nice portover:

- Base pack from Kazunori Ito
- FDE tweaks and panel work from Lionheart
- Soundpack by LawDog (represents the Rolls Royce Peregrine engines - available at the www.Sim-Outhouse.com (http://www.Sim-Outhouse.com) website in the CFS2 addons under Sounds)
- Repaints from Lionheart, Wayne Sinker
- And my own prop fix (updated MDL file + texture) See attachment: 17675

If you want more details just let me know.

falcon409
September 4th, 2010, 09:38
. . . . . . .And my own prop fix (updated MDL file + texture). . . . .If you want more details just let me know.

That's what I was looking for. . .thank you sir!:salute:

raptor19
September 4th, 2010, 09:43
Henk & Falcon. Thanks for the posts and bringing this to my attention, off to find the relevant bits now! :ernae:

Regards,

John N

Pips
September 4th, 2010, 17:34
Me too!! I'm a HUGE fan of the Whirlwind, best looking twin-engined fighter of the war.

falcon409
September 4th, 2010, 18:34
Working on new texturing for the VC right now.

Rich
September 4th, 2010, 18:56
hschuit, just checked your model on a carrier deck it works fine no conflicting alphas, now if that Mod could be applied to Mr Ito's Fairey Barracuda, Boulton Paul Sea Balliol and Fairey Gannet AEW, already a FSX ASW available I think it would make a quite few people happy.

Lionheart
September 4th, 2010, 22:27
Love that plane!

I hope someone does one for FSX. Can you imagine one with a high detail VC and bump mapping?

mind you, in FS9, you can 'now' do unlimited polygon exports with no 4MM welds, so Kozimotto could do one with unlimited detail and have it fly perfect in FS9.....

I think he would love that...

Bill

hschuit
September 5th, 2010, 00:08
hschuit, just checked your model on a carrier deck it works fine no conflicting alphas, now if that Mod could be applied to Mr Ito's Fairey Barracuda, Boulton Paul Sea Balliol and Fairey Gannet AEW, already a FSX ASW available I think it would make a quite few people happy.

Rich, except for Rob Richardson's FSX Gannet I do not have those planes... but this is how it works:

1. Replace the FS9 prop disk texture with an alternative bitmap from a native FSX (or FSX ready) aircraft

2. If necessary, fix the MDL file with Martin Wright's MDLMat tool:
- Locate the external and the VC prop disk materials (which can be a tedious process...) Usually, these materials are located at the end, with the Whirlwind they are LOD 01 26 (exterior) and LOD 02 46 (VC)
- Lower the diffuse alpha value, test it till the results are satisfactory, ballpark value is 25

3. Sometimes you also need to adjust the Aircraft.cfg prop_anim_ratio

This works for most models, I only had one sofar which I could not fix (the RAZBAM Alize :banghead:)

Hope this helps; cheers, Henk.

falcon409
September 5th, 2010, 00:33
Just need to add some placards here and there (if I can figure out what they say, lol). Anyone who hasn't tried the soundfile by Lawdog mentioned above. . .very nice. I was using the P-38 soundset and dumped that for the Perrigren(sp?) sounds once I heard them.

PRB
September 5th, 2010, 08:16
falcon409, quit posting screen shots that way! After staring at that screen shot, and going "wow, when was this released?" I actually clicked on the "Fly Now" button! LOLOLOL.

falcon409
September 5th, 2010, 09:36
falcon409, quit posting screen shots that way! After staring at that screen shot, and going "wow, when was this released?" I actually clicked on the "Fly Now" button! LOLOLOL.
lol, lol. . .well, I just uploaded to the "FSX Other" page, but I guess it's already available because there have been several downloads. Should also show up in the "What's New" section too I guess.:salute:

ryanbatc
September 5th, 2010, 09:49
I know this airplane got a lot of attention back when it was first released, but was there ever a prop update for it in FSX?:salute:

lol I tried to click the "fly now" button!

edit: apparently another fs geek beat me to it hahah

raptor19
September 5th, 2010, 10:54
Thanks Falcon that was the last piece of the jigsaw that I was waiting for after reading the posts. Haven't been very well over the past few days and currently just using the laptop to answer e-mails and check FS issues. Hopefully I will put all the bits together and try it out on the desktop tomorrow! :ernae:

Regards,

John N.

Pips
September 5th, 2010, 15:05
Lovely work on the VC falcon. Crystal clear definition. :)

falcon409
September 5th, 2010, 15:47
Lovely work on the VC falcon. Crystal clear definition. :)
Thanks Pips, wish I was a little better at some of that, but I'm learning as I go, lol.:salute:

PutPut
September 5th, 2010, 17:37
OK, the new search function has me stumped. Can some kind soul please give me the link to Lawdog's RR Peregrine (sp?) sound?

Thanks, Paul

falcon409
September 5th, 2010, 18:18
OK, the new search function has me stumped. Can some kind soul please give me the link to Lawdog's RR Peregrine (sp?) sound?

Thanks, Paul
Paul, just click on "Warbirds Archives" and then select to search by "Authors Name", then scroll down to Lawdog. Once you click on his name it'll bring up everything he's done. I think it was a few pages in. If I find it again I'll post a link!!:salute:

Here ya go:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Lawdog2360

PutPut
September 5th, 2010, 19:03
Got it! Thanks, I'll figure out this search function, yet!:salute:

Paul

falcon409
September 6th, 2010, 08:37
Got it! Thanks, I'll figure out this search function, yet!:salute:
Paul
I agree, the worst thing they did with the new setup was take away the search function by Author as it was originally. As long as you knew who made it, the search was easy. . .not anymore.

At least they kept the archived older files so that function is still available with the "Warbird Archives" section. :salute:

Rich
September 7th, 2010, 22:18
Thanks Henk, had many tries with the MDLMat tool but nothing seems to happen whatever changes I make, I have a empty texture folder so the model shows all black in the hope that changes would show better.

Rich, except for Rob Richardson's FSX Gannet I do not have those planes... but this is how it works:

1. Replace the FS9 prop disk texture with an alternative bitmap from a native FSX (or FSX ready) aircraft

2. If necessary, fix the MDL file with Martin Wright's MDLMat tool:
- Locate the external and the VC prop disk materials (which can be a tedious process...) Usually, these materials are located at the end, with the Whirlwind they are LOD 01 26 (exterior) and LOD 02 46 (VC)
- Lower the diffuse alpha value, test it till the results are satisfactory, ballpark value is 25

3. Sometimes you also need to adjust the Aircraft.cfg prop_anim_ratio

This works for most models, I only had one sofar which I could not fix (the RAZBAM Alize :banghead:)

Hope this helps; cheers, Henk.

raptor19
September 8th, 2010, 03:00
Great thread, finally found time to put all the bits together then did my usual trick of changing textures to .dds and editing the model file (with HxD) to change references for .bmp's to .dds. before adding thumbnails. Thanks Falcon for the panel - very nice. Only other thing that I changed was the colour of the RAF pilots' helmets as they should not really be blue but brown leather. Everything worked O.K. and I was very pleased, then I found Liohheart's additional repaints in the library so I had to add them as well, lol! Thanks Bill, they are very nice and the blue and red ones are certainly different and very eye catching.

Henk, if you read this I have a different problem with an Alphasim portover (BAe Lightning T5 - Gunsite) which to date I haven't been able to solve despite trying MdlMat and a Hex editor. If you or anyone else would be prepared to give an opinion or help I could start a new thread. :ernae:

Regards,

John N

hschuit
September 8th, 2010, 06:56
Thanks Henk, had many tries with the MDLMat tool but nothing seems to happen whatever changes I make, I have a empty texture folder so the model shows all black in the hope that changes would show better.

Rich, maybe OBIO's excellent tutorial on using MDLmat will help? You can download it from the SOH library - this is the page:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=8&sort=N&pp=15&page=2

Hurricane91
September 8th, 2010, 11:13
My thanks to Falcon and Hschuit for all of the leads, and great work by all of the people who contributed to tweaking Itoh's magnificent Whirlwind.