PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration screwed up FSX...

Alexraptor
September 30th, 2008, 14:23
Hey been a while since i visited these forums.(sucks about the crash)

So a couple of weeks ago i decided to make the jump from FS9 to FSX, have a nice righ with a 9800GTX+ and a Core 2 Duo E6700 running overclocked at 3GHz.
As was not too surprising performance is at best limited at high settings but i was starting to get used to it.

Today i went out and bought Acceleration and everything became FUBAR.
FSX now locks up/hangs/crashes whenever i try to click exit, end flight or any of the menu options, the only way out when in flight is ctrl+alt+delete.
I never did have a problem with blurries but after installing Acceleration everything is just blurries galore.

I'm feeling a little depressed here, is there anything i can do to get this working properly?
I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3 btw.

Lionheart
September 30th, 2008, 14:43
This happened to me as well.

I ended up copying all my gauges and aircraft and scenery out of the sim, then did a complete and total reinstall of FSX. This was the 'only' way I could get my FSX to run smoothly.

I was on XP at the time also.

When you go to reinstall FSX, you may have to redo the registry as well, and you may have to physically delete alot of files.

Wierd how Accelleration worked 'faster' on some computers and crashed others.

I like that word, Fubar, lol...

EDIT: There still may be a way to get it running... Wait and see if someone see's this thread and might know of a fix. Accelleration has some cool offerings. Might be just one tune/step away from making it work.

Bill

Alexraptor
September 30th, 2008, 14:58
lol FUBAR is an old military acronym, it stands for "Fouled Up Beyond All Repair"(Fouled is just a non-profanity replacement ;))

harleyman
September 30th, 2008, 15:33
When you installed Acceleration, did you remove FSX SP 2 first??????

Don't feel bad..My rig is also FUBARED on FSX too now........

Alexraptor
September 30th, 2008, 16:25
Yes i did, i even made a total clean re-installation of FSX and Acceleration right on top which didn't make a difference.

kilo delta
October 1st, 2008, 00:38
Tried deleting your FSX.cfg and letting a new one be compiled the next time you run the sim? :)
Also...have you de-fragged the hard drive between each stage of installation.........FSX RTM,SP1, Acceleration?

Alexraptor
October 1st, 2008, 01:40
Yes i defragged, yes i deleted FSX.cfg... wait no.. i deleted the entire fsx folder under application data/microsoft :p

FLighT01
October 1st, 2008, 05:46
lol FUBAR is an old military acronym, it stands for "Fouled Up Beyond All Repair"(Fouled is just a non-profanity replacement ;))

I've also heard it as "Fouled Up Beyond All Reason".

IanP
October 1st, 2008, 06:29
I've also heard it as "Fouled Up Beyond All Reason".

"Recognition" is another option used. The number of options for the last word is probably just why everyone uses "FUBAR" instead.

I've installed FSX/Accel twice now without any problem (installation/uninstallation testing for the review), but I'd agree that the problems you're having sound very much like the problems someone else had recently when they changed graphics driver and didn't delete the old card reference from fsx.cfg and the sim got very upset.

Can you try checking for a newer driver for your card, then allowing fsx.cfg to rebuild, or uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics driver and then allowing fsx.cfg to rebuild?

This is the downside to PCs. I may dislike the constant movement towards consoles, but these issues really don't affect fixed hardware devices. :banghead:

Ian P.

Alexraptor
October 1st, 2008, 07:11
I am using the newest drivers available.

Alexraptor
October 2nd, 2008, 06:42
Btw why is it FSX runs so great on the microsoft trailers and not for us actual simmers? I mean i have newer and faster hardware, some of which was not even around when FSX came out.

deathfromafar
October 2nd, 2008, 16:41
Myself and another guy reinstalled FSX last night with Acceleration on our systems which are 3 year old (and newer) age range updated to good specs. The sim runs smooth as silk at 25 to 30 FPS even after a few addon scenery packs and aircraft. The only issue I encountered was a little trouble getting SP1 to install after the main install. Did a little cleaning up and it was okay and then added acceleration. My custom settings are mid range to maxed out on certain sections and getting the FPS mentioned. G2G!

Lionheart
October 2nd, 2008, 19:59
Myself and another guy reinstalled FSX last night with Acceleration on our systems which are 3 year old (and newer) age range updated to good specs. The sim runs smooth as silk at 25 to 30 FPS even after a few addon scenery packs and aircraft. The only issue I encountered was a little trouble getting SP1 to install after the main install. Did a little cleaning up and it was okay and then added acceleration. My custom settings are mid range to maxed out on certain sections and getting the FPS mentioned. G2G!

Thats wild.. My 3 year old computer I lost about 3+ months ago ran faster then my present new quad core... arrghh..

Btw why is it FSX runs so great on the microsoft trailers and not for us actual simmers? I mean i have newer and faster hardware, some of which was not even around when FSX came out.

Alexraptor

I believe they were running it on dual quad cores. Phil Taylor showed the computer off once on a gaming program interview. I would love to have one of those..

Alex,

Have you tried dragging out the FSX config file and having FSX re-create a new one? You might try it one more time.

deathfromafar
October 3rd, 2008, 01:26
Thats wild.. My 3 year old computer I lost about 3+ months ago ran faster then my present new quad core... arrghh..

Bill, in my steed here, I have 4 systems now from 2003 to now. I have two fairly hot Vista boxes one with a duo core and the other a quad. My oldest system is a Dell 3100 (on which I used FS2002 Pro) rebuilt and only used as a backup netcomm machine in case my mains go down, my 2005 Dell 5100 3.2 ghz P4HT processor which I have babied and upgraded extending it's life and performance. It is what I run the majority of my FS work on and does it well. I have a Inspiron E1705 LT with a duo core and 256mb Go 7900 GS which is my "Do All" mobile machine (both business and personal), and a new XPS 650 Quad set up for business aps. Out of all those, my 05 5100 still runs FS smooth as silk. I have a batch of spare parts in case it ever needs it as it is my last full spec XP system. I will build something rediculously souped up sometime in a year of so when the 5100 ages out.

Alexraptor
October 3rd, 2008, 02:16

I believe they were running it on dual quad cores. Phil Taylor showed the computer off once on a gaming program interview. I would love to have one of those..

Alex,

Have you tried dragging out the FSX config file and having FSX re-create a new one? You might try it one more time.

Ive lost track of how m any times ie re-built the FSX.cfg :icon_lol:

IanP
October 3rd, 2008, 04:25
As I said before, the last solution I read to a problem that sounded similar was that he removed and reinstalled the (identical) graphics driver - FSX detected it as a different device and it started working fine.

I believe the general consensus to the solution was "Er... Dunno. But hey, it worked!"

Ian P.

MudMarine
October 3rd, 2008, 06:12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUBAR

All wrong, almost. Being a former member of the US Military it means "F'd Up Beyond All Recognition." Also my favorite Marine Corps slangs: "Semper Gumby" translates to "Always Flexible". "BOHICA" can also be said as "BOHICAN" Bend over here it comes again. "The Big Green Weenie"....That's what you get when the "stuff slides down hill" ie it sucks being a private!hehe

Alexraptor
October 3rd, 2008, 07:06
I wasn't wrong, i merly chose to use the milder variation of it :P

Btw how much of a performance boost would a 3ghz quad give me over my currently 3ghz overclocked dual core?

gera
October 3rd, 2008, 07:26
This happened to me as well.

I ended up copying all my gauges and aircraft and scenery out of the sim, then did a complete and total reinstall of FSX. This was the 'only' way I could get my FSX to run smoothly.

I was on XP at the time also.

When you go to reinstall FSX, you may have to redo the registry as well, and you may have to physically delete alot of files.

Wierd how Accelleration worked 'faster' on some computers and crashed others.

I like that word, Fubar, lol...

EDIT: There still may be a way to get it running... Wait and see if someone see's this thread and might know of a fix. Accelleration has some cool offerings. Might be just one tune/step away from making it work.

Bill

Basically.....thatīs the only way to get it going.....Just do a clean start and Bingo.....donīt sweat:icon_lol:

JoeW
October 3rd, 2008, 07:38
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUBAR

All wrong, almost. Being a former member of the US Military it means "F'd Up Beyond All Recognition." Also my favorite Marine Corps slangs: "Semper Gumby" translates to "Always Flexible". "BOHICA" can also be said as "BOHICAN" Bend over here it comes again. "The Big Green Weenie"....That's what you get when the "stuff slides down hill" ie it sucks being a private!hehe

Mine was MFICC, Mother Fkr in complete control.

Alexraptor
October 3rd, 2008, 07:50
Basically.....thatīs the only way to get it going.....Just do a clean start and Bingo.....donīt sweat:icon_lol:

And ive already been through that procedure too :banghead: