PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear's Stig?

stuartcox
September 1st, 2010, 00:14
James May just admitted in a live TV interview on BBC Breakfast News that he is Top Gear's "The Stig", and has been for years!
I don't believe that for one moment!
If he is "The Stig", then I am James May!

Roadburner440
September 1st, 2010, 00:57
I think whoever the Stig is are under contractual obligations to not reveal their identity or they get in deep you know what. I think awhile back they had someone figure out the identity of the black Stig and they were taken off the program. I have been wondering for years though who in the world it could be, and would be cool to find out. Somehow I doubt he is the Stig though.

Wing_Z
September 1st, 2010, 01:34
Some say: He gargles with Drain Cleaner, and his underwear starches itself!
All we know is: he is most definitely not James May... ;)

Dain Arns
September 1st, 2010, 03:23
Now, now.
Don't be picking on "Captain Slow"... :icon_lol:

I think a couple of my most favorite Top Gear episodes are where May turns a Triumph Herald into an amphibious vehicle (sailboat) and then slowly wins the race.
And definitely when he test drove the Veyron to 250mph on that track in Germany.

But no. Definitely not "The Stig".

OBIO
September 1st, 2010, 06:35
I am "The Stig"! Coo Coo Cachoo!

Daveroo
September 1st, 2010, 07:10
whuts a "stig"..........

stiz
September 1st, 2010, 07:13
actually ... its ben collins .. bonds stunt double!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100901/tuk-the-stig-unmasked-as-bond-stunt-doub-dba1618.html

Snuffy
September 1st, 2010, 07:15
who what? :mixedsmi:

stuartcox
September 1st, 2010, 07:59
I suppose James May was misleading the media, just in case the High Court would have made a different decision.
I am going to buy his new book tomorrow, looks like a brilliant read. (Captain Slow's, not Ben Collins')
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Book-Land-A330-Airbus/dp/1848942273/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283356620&sr=1-1

Lewis-A2A
September 1st, 2010, 09:28
I think its safe to say its one of the british touring car drivers that are regulary around the set.

centuryseries
September 1st, 2010, 09:54
James May was just said a particularly Top Gear-esque statement, I doubt anyone whose ever seen Top Gear would believe it was him.

Anyway, on the BBC news website it says the book is an "autobiography of former Formula Three driver Ben Collins. The book, called The Man In The White Suit, claims Mr Collins is the mystery driver on the BBC Two show."

Why would anyone doubt that?!!

stuartcox
September 1st, 2010, 10:21
[QUOTE=centuryseries;472476
Anyway, on the BBC news website it says the book is an "autobiography of former Formula Three driver Ben Collins. The book, called The Man In The White Suit, claims Mr Collins is the mystery driver on the BBC Two show."
Why would anyone doubt that?!![/QUOTE]

This was only published at noon! Until then, speculations were still ongoing...
I wonder what will happen to the 'white' Stig?
The last one was launched in a car from an aircraft carrier after his identity was revealed.

Ferry_vO
September 1st, 2010, 10:39
It's a public secret that there are several 'Stigs'; in case of an expensive or exclusive (Or both) car the 'Stig' is the owner of the car or a factory testdriver. Too give the laptime comparison some credibility it should look like all laps were done by one and the same driver.

Clarke123
September 1st, 2010, 10:45
http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2010/08/27/the-stig-he-is-ours/

wiltzei
September 1st, 2010, 10:58
Thanks for the heads-up on JM's book.

Bjoern
September 1st, 2010, 14:53
ifrtlC4NTys

There can be only one (or more)...

Jwcfly
September 1st, 2010, 15:20
As an existentialist, I believe we all are The Stig.

TeaSea
September 1st, 2010, 16:58
I was always under the impression that there were several "Stigs", but that Schumacher was the one who worked for them the most....

If you look at several of the older episodes (I have recorded most from BBC America -- where I don't pay a TV Tax) there are several hints made by the cast as to Schumacher's role.

What I really want to know though...who is Mrs. Stig?

demorier
September 1st, 2010, 23:24
I don't know why it is such a big secret.....I couldn't give a stuff who the Stig is.

Quixoticish
September 2nd, 2010, 00:03
I don't know why it is such a big secret.....I couldn't give a stuff who the Stig is.

Precisely. He's a bit of fun, a tongue-in-cheek character, and I can't abide this obsession with "unmasking" him.