PDA

View Full Version : moving map

LouP
August 31st, 2010, 19:06
Anyone know of a moving map similar to FSNav that works in FSX, in FULL SCREEN mode.

Thanks,
LouP

Dain Arns
August 31st, 2010, 21:31
Nope.
I use Plan-G on my laptop, which links to FSX via SimConnect, otherwise it has to be used in Windowed mode if used on the same PC.
But, Plan-G is freeware and uses Google maps and satellite images, depending on what you want to see.
I strongly recommend it.
Soon it will have approach plate capabilities as well:

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

robcap
August 31st, 2010, 22:58
Plan-G is a great piece of software, Lou.
I use it on a second monitor, works like a charm.

Cheers, Rob

stiz
August 31st, 2010, 23:45
I use it on a second monitor

How'd you do that? when i had 2 moniters FSX would run in full screen on one and just black out the other one :isadizzy:

falcon409
September 1st, 2010, 04:00
How'd you do that? when i had 2 moniters FSX would run in full screen on one and just black out the other one :isadizzy:
Correct, as Dain mentioned above. . .it has to be used in Windowed mode, not full screen.:salute:

Navy Chief
September 1st, 2010, 04:24

Cheers, Rob

Robcap,

I have thought about getting a small second monitor, but never got around to it. My idea was to get one with a touch screen, but never found one I thought would work ok. I would prefer a really small one. Less than 12"...... I've seen the "Lilliput" brand, but always thought they were for auto installs.

NC

AndyE1976
September 1st, 2010, 04:33
There's an app for the iPhone/iPad/iPod called iGMap that is supposed to do about the same thing - it's $9.99 though.

it's supposed to work with fs9, fsx and xplane though.

Navy Chief
September 1st, 2010, 04:40
There's an app for the iPhone/iPad/iPod called iGMap that is supposed to do about the same thing - it's $9.99 though.

it's supposed to work with fs9, fsx and xplane though.

I don't have cell service where I live, so unfortunately that wouldn't work....

danyboy21
September 1st, 2010, 07:30

Cheers, Rob

+1

Plan-G is very well to create flight plans and follow his route on the map

SkippyBing
September 1st, 2010, 07:50
I don't have cell service where I live, so unfortunately that wouldn't work....

Looking at the web page for it you don't need a cell service, just a wi-fi link so the iPad/iPod can talk to the FSX PC.

Pepere
September 1st, 2010, 08:02
Does anyone have a touch screen monitor for their secound monitor. If so does it, because it's touch screen, effect the FPS?

David

Navy Chief
September 1st, 2010, 08:14
Does anyone have a touch screen monitor for their secound monitor. If so does it, because it's touch screen, effect the FPS?

David

Very good question! Interested in answer to that also!

gera
September 1st, 2010, 09:23

It depends on your Video card, Nvidias Drivers allow you to make a "strech screen" with two monitors or have one for flight and the other for anything you want, instruments, or in this case Gmap, which is a must have.....

falcon409
September 1st, 2010, 10:05
It depends on your Video card, Nvidias Drivers allow you to make a "strech screen" with two monitors or have one for flight and the other for anything you want, instruments, or in this case Gmap, which is a must have.....
. . . .but not with Win7. . .there is no option to do that with Win7.:salute:

robcap
September 1st, 2010, 12:40
Anyways, i have a small 15" screen, got it from a friend who works in IT, they were throwing the things away.....
You have to use Plan-G in windowed mode, but I see no FPS difference between full screen and windowed mode anyway. And I use my PC in multitasking mode, so I fly, check e-mails, work in Gmax all at the same time haha!
I don't like to switch out of full screen mode.
My humble set-up
The white spot on the left monitor is Plan-G, but perfectly visible from my viewpoint.

Cheers, Rob

gera
September 1st, 2010, 13:06
You can ADD as many monitors to your PC by hardware at a very low price. I have two which I use out of my Nvidia card but I added a third one by just plugging a USB VGA External Dual Or Multi Monitor Video Adapter which at Amazon cost around $50.00. I usually extend on my two wide monitors my flying view or place on one flying and map on number two...and on the third one the Instrumentation....you get all at a fine price......:jump:

LouP
September 1st, 2010, 15:22
Thanks guys, I am finding it so hard to believe that there is not one that will work in full screen mode. I'll keep waiting I guess.

LouP :barf:

HighGround22
September 1st, 2010, 16:20
On this sort of subject, I once heard about what I thought was a nifty scheme and I (more or less) duplicated it:

On the main computer, I run FSX on the main monitor (windowed), and I plugged-in a second monitor for all pop-ups (panels, gps, whatever).

Ran a cable from the router to a second computer, where I run Flight Sim Commander (FSC) and now Plan-G, which is fast becoming a favourite. So a total of three monitors.

It all works just peachy and perfectly, with no glitches!

FWIW, the second computer could be almost any old ancient computer, and an older monitor (I use an old, square, 1st-generation flat screen job). I was going to get an older kludge, and I approached my guru to see whether he had any old, basic computers kicking around.

He dissuaded me. He rightly figured what I needed was one of these little tiny desktop computers (this one comes under the brand name "Shuttle") that takes up the space of a loaf of store-bought bread. Nice. What's more, it didn't cost much at all -- no vid card, no sound card, nothing additional -- just the little basic (cheap) computer and the older monitor.

I'm in Flight-Sim heaven with this rig!

falcon409
September 1st, 2010, 18:04
You can ADD as many monitors to your PC by hardware at a very low price. I have two which I use out of my Nvidia card but I added a third one by just plugging a USB VGA External Dual Or Multi Monitor Video Adapter which at Amazon cost around $50.00. I usually extend on my two wide monitors my flying view or place on one flying and map on number two...and on the third one the Instrumentation....you get all at a fine price......:jump:
What OS are you running?

gera
September 1st, 2010, 19:00
Good old XP.....:sheep:

danyboy21
September 1st, 2010, 20:07
Win 7-64 bits, a 19-inch screen and another 22 inches. My video card is an Nvidia 8800 GT with 1GB memory (this video card is not recent). My FPS are stuck at 30 and I turn on average between 15 and 30 FPS. (I hope you understand me, I am French and my English is very bad - sorry).

falcon409
September 1st, 2010, 20:17
Good old XP.....:sheep:
Ok, that's why you're able to stretch over two monitors. That option went away (for NVidia at least) with Vista and now Win7.

gera
September 2nd, 2010, 07:17
Ok, that's why you're able to stretch over two monitors. That option went away (for NVidia at least) with Vista and now Win7.

Never Fix what´s not broken........But it sounds strange??, you should check that with some expert, at the same time MS messed up with Vista, why would it not with Win7 no?
I read in many OS forums that the 7 is just a shell over XP!!!!!...OH, well......

danyboy21
September 2nd, 2010, 10:28
I repeat: I use win 7-64 bit - and I have two screens (one 19 inches and 22 inches) and it works very well

gera
September 2nd, 2010, 12:14
I repeat: I use win 7-64 bit - and I have two screens (one 19 inches and 22 inches) and it works very well

Did you read this Falcon49....you doing someting wrong.....:pop4::pop4:, if danyboy can do it in France you probably can in the wide US of A, no?

falcon409
September 2nd, 2010, 13:20
First of all. . . .calm down danyboy21, there's no need for super large bold letters. I'd like to know how you're able to pull that off (2 monitors and having the VC stretch across those two monitors in Win7-64bit). I use two monitors also, same setup as you (1-22" and 1-19"). I use both monitors, but only to the point of having the main display on the large screen and various avionics on the smaller screen.

I have an NVidia 9600GT/512 meg card and there is no option in the setup, in the NVidia Control Panel, or by going to the "Personalize" options that allows to stretch the main window across two monitors.:salute: