PDA

View Full Version : Video: B-17G and F-18 flak/bombs

flyer01
August 30th, 2010, 22:37
Let me start with saying that I'm knew to the FSX forum but not SOH. I have spent most of my time in SOH in the CFS3 forums.
I post in both forums as flyer01.

The first flight Sim that I got was CFS3. Then I found SOH and found out about the Expansions and was asked to be a bate tester and video producer for the ETO/PTO Expansion Team (The GroundHogs) Some if not most of you have heard of or maybe friends with some of the members.
I have in the last months gotten FSX Gold.
I like flying FSX for the pure pleasure of flying the aircraft and the scenery. The missions are lots of fun.

To the point of this post.
I have see military aircraft made for FSX.
Like I said I'm knew to FSX.

So what do the aircraft do but take off, fly and land? That is the combat aircraft.

I have found some people that have worked on making the military environment in FSX with some add-ons. Freeware and payware. and I :salute: them. Here are two videos showing that it is possable to put military effects into FSX.

Is this as good as it gets with the combat side of FSX. Or has it just not been taking in that direction for what ever reason?

Your input would be help full.
Let me say this------ I'm not a developer. I jest would like to know if FSX could be taken to a new level in the combat aspect.

Thanks in advance,

flyer01 flight simmer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kFF7ovaf8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh3Q2ds5Vw4

MudMarine
August 30th, 2010, 23:22
I like the idea of FSX as a combat sim. All I've ever asked for from FSX is to do what actual pilots did/do; fly training and combat missions which happen everyday. But you'll hear it from the other side that thinks that FSX should only be a boring GA environment, with plenty of trees to hug.

txnetcop
August 31st, 2010, 02:24
I'd like to see the buffeting effect and metal pieces sound from exploding flak and see actual damage from hits. I am happy with FSX mostly but still I wish full combat effects were included!
Ted

dogfish
August 31st, 2010, 02:50
b-17 flying thru the flak, that looks very realistic just wish there was someone in the co-pilots seat it just looks strange being empty. thanks for posting video.

flyer01
August 31st, 2010, 07:34
Thank you for your replies.
When M$ add the Acceleration they broght in the combat side of FSX.
Then thy broke up the ace team.

There are programs that add the combat aspect to FSX, like
fspassanger if you want to fly in a war zone with flak you can if not then you do not have to.

I like FSX the way it is with GA flying that is what it was made for. Like CFS3 was made for combat. The developers of the CFS3 Expansions were able to do things in the CFS3 that most developer did not thank possable.

I would like to know if any of the FSX developers that understand the inter workings of FSX could do the same in FSX with the effects and damage files for the simobjects in FSX?
I'm not a devloper so I do not know.

flyer01

GypsyBaron
August 31st, 2010, 07:50
I'd like to see the buffeting effect and metal pieces sound from exploding flak and see actual damage from hits. I am happy with FSX mostly but still I wish full combat effects were included!
Ted

When I created that FLAK package for various sites in Germany I also experimented with
adding buffeting through the use of adding thermal effects. I had mixed results with this
and only left the thermals in place around Bremen, I believe.

The "turbulence" effects described in the FSX SDK did not appear to work at all and some
parameters of the thermals effects didn't seem to yild the expected results.
I believe one could create realistic buffeting using Simconnect but I'm not well versed in
the use of that method of changing FSX variables.

At the time I also planned to add damage effects resulting from the FLAK to the A2A Accu-Sim
B-17G. I devised a means of sensing the FLAK regions and using the random number generators
that are part of the A2A Accu-Sim package to determine the probability of damage and select
the type of damage. I have a test gauge for those parameters now.

At that point I ran out of time and had to put that project aside. AT some point, perhaps over
the winter, I may try to complete a beta damage package to go along with the FLAK pakage.

Some of the flak bursts do include the sound of metal striking metal but are difficult to hear
inflight it seems. You can hear them at the end of that video during the credits. I used two
different WAV files for the explosions. Also, not all of the flak bursts have a sound file attached
as I fould the sound system on my setup getting overloaded when all bursts triggered a WAV file.

Using the A2A B-17G was the best approach since there are so many areas where one can
force "failures" of various systems. Much more extensive capabilities than trying to use the
limited FSX default failures.

Paul

warchild
August 31st, 2010, 07:59
ou might want to talk to the guys over at VUSN. Theyve ben working on a little something over there for a few years now; a complete military/combat environment.. I dont know where they are in their development, but i know they wanted radar tracking, aircraft damage, and a bunch of other stuff so they could fly realistic missions.. addy is http://www.vusn.org

warchild
August 31st, 2010, 08:16
Actually, now that you mention it, i'm looking for someone to program the effects for the P-61 canon's. It carries 4 20mm canon with HE and FMJ rounds, and four 50 caliber canon with fmj rounds.. Both sets fire tracer as well as normal rounds.Drop me a line if your interested..
Pam

flyer01
August 31st, 2010, 08:36
Paul, Thank you for the flak effect.
I hope you are able to take the effect to the next level.

warchild, I will take a look at that site.

I have seen threads started asking what combat plane thy would like to see in FSX.
Thats good and fine but if thay have no load outs that can be droped or rockets that can be fired with the effect of such-------------- I under stand the thought of flying the plane. And then I understand the thought of a gun with no bullets also.

IMHO combat plane= fire power+ the effect.

There are programs that add this to FSX So why are the payware developers not adding this to there planes?
I think that is a fair question.
flyer01

warchild
August 31st, 2010, 09:01
IMHO combat plane= fire power+ the effect.

There are programs that add this to FSX So why are the payware developers not adding this to there planes?
I think that is a fair question.
flyer01

I honestly dont know. The P-61 project is will be donation ware to support SOH. We're a bit of a rag tag bunch but everyone in i is world class in my opinion. U admit, i have some selfish reasons why i want to see the guns on the plane fire ( not to mention its bombs dropping ). I want to cut a locomotive in half, plain and simple. It was a common and documented occurrence..

There's a large schism that exists between combat simmers and GA simmers. The military is generally a small niche of the flight sim world, and for most developers, there isnt enough of a financial reward to cover even the costs of producing the plane, let alone making any money at it, so they dont get made. Also, there's the fact that a lot of people just dont like war. flying is one thing. War is something else. Many of us still fight a war every night in our dreams, and to those people, flying war machines just isnt the way to happy valley. BUT, i believe that if your going to make something, you should make it an honest effort and build it faithfully to what it was. Even if it was a lead spewing monster with no other purpose than killing people. After all, in the P-61's case as well as many others, it was good versus evil. it wasnt just a war. It makes a difference. Perhaps, as time goes on, developers will begin adding more arms to their aircraft, but i can only imagine that the cost of programming outweighs the expected income from the product, and wont be of major importance to most dev's.

flyer01
August 31st, 2010, 10:04
The military is generally a small niche of the flight sim world, and for most developers, there isnt enough of a financial reward to cover even the costs of producing the plane, let alone making any money at it, so they dont get made.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'v seen devlopers that make nothing but war planes as payware and freeware and people line up to get them. If you make a war planes why not just add some weapons that work and show the effect.

A2A is making war planes as we speek. (As are others)
I have the B-17G I love flying that plane. You can load bombs and drop them but there is no effect of them hitting the ground.

After finding the wepons pack, that added the realism that simmers want.

I also do not think that there are many flight simmers that were in combat that like to fly combat simmes.

I have heard of crew members of bombers say after there last mission that thy never wanted to get in a plane again. And havent.

flyer01

Lewis-A2A
August 31st, 2010, 11:26
FSX is a civvy sim. Trying to make it into a combat sim, well to be honest you would be better of starting from scratch.

Aircraft damage is good and well but for a start you need the realisitc damageble parts there in the first place, secondly the parts so far in FSX wont have visual damage. Correct physics for dropping parts etc isnt there, etc etc etc not to mention performance. People have toruble running the sim as it is without the extra AI caluclations, physics of missles, bullets, rockets full on explosions, AI for flying, AI for ground, complicated scenery, dynamic AI elements, damage modelling for objects, scenery, ground targets and none targets the list is massive and almost endless.

For basics of doing a rough simulation of simulated combat like in modern training its doable but if you want anything even nearly realistic then theres a large amoutn of good combat sims out there for all eras, and its prolly easyier to mod the good aspects of FSX into them as opposed ot the other way around.

flyer01
August 31st, 2010, 12:20
FSX is a civvy sim. Trying to make it into a combat sim, well to be honest you would be better of starting from scratch.

Aircraft damage is good and well but for a start you need the realisitc damageble parts there in the first place, secondly the parts so far in FSX wont have visual damage. Correct physics for dropping parts etc isnt there, etc etc etc not to mention performance. People have toruble running the sim as it is without the extra AI caluclations, physics of missles, bullets, rockets full on explosions, AI for flying, AI for ground, complicated scenery, dynamic AI elements, damage modelling for objects, scenery, ground targets and none targets the list is massive and almost endless.

For basics of doing a rough simulation of simulated combat like in modern training its doable but if you want anything even nearly realistic then theres a large amoutn of good combat sims out there for all eras, and its prolly easyier to mod the good aspects of FSX into them as opposed ot the other way around.

This is what I was looking for.
I think that it could be done in FSX but most older PC could not run the sim. And if you are doing it to make money then its not worth the time when M$ aready has combat sims.
Like CFS3 and all the Expansions that are free with hundreds of planes to fly.
As for now, when I fly a combat plane in FSX (other than a victory tour) and want to drop some bombs I can add them to the flight with the freeware packs for FSX.

By the way is there any missions made for the A2A B-17G ?

Thank you for your replies on this thread.

Good flying and even better landings,
flyer01:salute:

MIKE JG
August 31st, 2010, 13:34
Yes it does get better than that. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but THIS is the BEST military add on ever created for the Flight Simulator series, period.

And yes you can drop all sorts of ordinance, track air to air targets and fire your missles at them. Even for the FS9 version! The FSX version is even better.

http://vrsimulations.com/FA18EFSX.htm

http://vrsimulations.com/images/FSX_FA18E_screens/FSX_ext_3.jpg

flyer01
August 31st, 2010, 14:26
Mike JG,
Thank you for posting this.
Is this new or has it been around for a while?
Do you know of some video of this on YouTube.

flyer01

flyer01
August 31st, 2010, 15:48
Really this is what I was looking for.
And thy said it could not be done.
As far a damage models on the ground that could be put in missions
or just in some parts of the sim.

flyer01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uOiTdiIwmY&annotation_id=annotation_392985&feature=iv

flyer01
August 31st, 2010, 20:56
This video shows a bombing test of the Weapons pack by Chris Sykes found at SOH flying the B_17G.
The sound tracks are from FSPassenger in the military part of the add-on.

flyer01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeSjhQ4SpB4&feature=player_embedded

Lewis-A2A
September 1st, 2010, 06:30
guys tbh your still grasping at straws for anything that comes close to a true combat sim.

Let me put it this way, BOB2 our WW2 Combat sim is built on BOB1 that is from around 2000/01. So pretty old. Now that combat sim simulated fuel in fuel pipes that could be shot and counted when you ran out of fuel, ie you literally stopped once the last drip was out of the pipes not the tank.

Now FSX can model this if done externally by the C++ coder however the damage aspect would be quite hard. Damage boxes dont exist for a start and thats how combat sims used to operate many moons ago.

Seriously, the idea of creating a combat sim out of FSX without the source code seems as crazy as me making a flight sim out of a car racing game.

For having a bit of a giggle it can be fun for the basics but if you are searching for anything similar to CFS1-2-3 IL-2, LOMAC, STRIKE FIGHTERS, FALCON etc etc etc then its best simply to buy one of those as they are far superior out of the box and out of this world when modded to the hilt.

flyer01
September 1st, 2010, 09:51
guys tbh your still grasping at straws for anything that comes close to a true combat sim.

Let me put it this way, BOB2 our WW2 Combat sim is built on BOB1 that is from around 2000/01. So pretty old. Now that combat sim simulated fuel in fuel pipes that could be shot and counted when you ran out of fuel, ie you literally stopped once the last drip was out of the pipes not the tank.

Now FSX can model this if done externally by the C++ coder however the damage aspect would be quite hard. Damage boxes dont exist for a start and thats how combat sims used to operate many moons ago.

Seriously, the idea of creating a combat sim out of FSX without the source code seems as crazy as me making a flight sim out of a car racing game.

For having a bit of a giggle it can be fun for the basics but if you are searching for anything similar to CFS1-2-3 IL-2, LOMAC, STRIKE FIGHTERS, FALCON etc etc etc then its best simply to buy one of those as they are far superior out of the box and out of this world when modded to the hilt.

Yes it does get better than that. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but THIS is the BEST military add on ever created for the Flight Simulator series, period.

And yes you can drop all sorts of ordinance, track air to air targets and fire your missles at them. Even for the FS9 version! The FSX version is even better.

http://vrsimulations.com/FA18EFSX.htm (http://vrsimulations.com/FA18EFSX.htm)

http://vrsimulations.com/images/FSX_.../FSX_ext_3.jpg (http://vrsimulations.com/images/FSX_.../FSX_ext_3.jpg)

Lewis-A2A , Have you seen this?

Can FSX be made into a flight sim like CFS3 no. Can you have combat in FSX Yes.

The planes are not going to blow up and fall apart like thy do in CFS3.
But you can fly combat in FSX if you want to.

I understand what your saying.

flyer01

Lewis-A2A
September 1st, 2010, 10:03
You can mess around with weapons that are modelled yes, but no it doesnt get much better.

Yes I am familar with VRS we worked with them on the engine sounds.

warchild
September 1st, 2010, 10:19
I'd be happy if someone just helped us by coding the weapons on the P-61. Its FOR SOH, not me, and is one small step.. We need someone who can do it on our team. Bantering back and forth is fruitless in my opinion. I have PTSD, Emphysema ( which starves the brain of oxygen ), and had a motorcycle accident that took out part of my physical brain a long time ago, but here i am.. I dont believe in "can't". It can be done, we just have to find the way.