PDA

View Full Version : For you WWI aviation buffs

OBIO
August 30th, 2010, 20:49
Came across this site while looking up info on the DH-5. Very interesting site with lots of pics, both vintage and modern. Looks like these guys build flyable replicas of WW I planes.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

OBIO

Lionheart
August 30th, 2010, 23:31
Thanks for posting this OBIO. Very cool website.

Its great to see them making Oburrussels (however you spell that) again.

Bill

hubbabubba
August 31st, 2010, 03:51
WOW!

Obio, nice find!:applause:

And my favorite kite is there; the Sopwith Triplane in "Black Flight" livery.

This one is being bookmarked as I write this, thanks again Obio!

norab
August 31st, 2010, 03:58
This company is owned by Peter Jackson (Lord of The Rings, King Kong) and is an offshoot of his moviemaking and love of aircraft They also offer highly regarded plastic model kits

wombat666
August 31st, 2010, 04:40
This company is owned by Peter Jackson (Lord of The Rings, King Kong) and is an offshoot of his moviemaking and love of aircraft They also offer highly regarded plastic model kits

Could I make that 'Bloody Brilliant Plastic Kits" all Great War period in 1:32 Scale (last I looked!) but priced accordingly.
:jump:

FireStorm II
August 31st, 2010, 08:38
Yes! Thank-you Thank-you OBIO.

Bookmarked and going to fly Over Flanders Fields now.....

Dangerousdave26
September 1st, 2010, 15:23

To add to that tidbit...

The wife and I were at Fantasy of Flight this year. While there one of the employees told our tour group that Kermit had just returned from New Zealand where he was meeting with Peter Jackson. Kermit has loaned or given Peter a WWI rotary engine. Peter has a team of engineers reverse engineering the engine so they can go back into production.

The purpose of this endeavor is to produce real vintage aircraft which of course it going to lead to some day making a new WWI movie with more real vintage aircraft footage.

Not to mention the fact they both just want to have more vintage aircraft flying around.

huub vink
September 2nd, 2010, 00:15
Thanks for the link OBIO. Those guys do beautiful work.

Cheers,
Huub

Naki
September 3rd, 2010, 03:38
Also check out Peter Jackson's amazing WW1 museum located in Omaka (South Island)

http://www.omaka.org.nz/index.htm

Its also the site of the Classic Fighters Air Show held every two years..next one is in 2011 and the NZ debut (hopefully) of a Mosquito, Flug Werke 190 and Avron Anson and no doubt something WW1.