PDA

View Full Version : Fire Tornado -Hawaii

Dain Arns
August 29th, 2010, 17:29
I haven't seen or heard one of these in, oh about 20 years or so.
Deadly, but also an awesome act of nature.
It's caused by the drafting of a very hot fire that basically starts sucking in more oxygen as it creates it's own tornadic vortex. (As I understand it)
Enjoy. (You'll have to suffer through a short commercial of course...)

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep" height="374" width="416">

<embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=us/2010/08/27/vo.hawaii.fire.tornado.kitv" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" height="374" width="416"></object>

And a link for those in case the embeded viewer doesn't work:
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/08/27/vo.hawaii.fire.tornado.kitv

Dangerousdave26
August 29th, 2010, 17:41
Wow I have never heard of that.

That would have been some site to see.

EasyEd
August 29th, 2010, 18:13
Hey All,

They really aren't that rare but most people never see them

L1hczOv4DeI

-Ed-

Bone
August 29th, 2010, 18:27
wicked

Dain Arns
August 30th, 2010, 02:07
Hey All,

They really aren't that rare but most people never see them

-Ed-

Yep. (Great video, Ed)
Got to see a lot of them in Montana way back in 1988. ;)
One impressive one I remember was on the Warm Springs Fire in the Helena National Forest.
We figured the flame in the core on that one was probably a few hundred feet high at minimum.

EDIT: Looked through a couple more on YouTube and found this one.
Shows how fire moves...

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Fw1qiAld2U?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Snuffy
August 30th, 2010, 03:21
Naturally occurring phenomenon they are. Heat rises and as it does, it draws air from around the base of the fire ... get enough heat rising and enough air getting sucked into it and it doesn't take much ... You can create miniature versions of this in any back yard burn pile ... just that in those cases, they don't usually last that long.

Never heard too many that sounded like this one though. Wonder if that sound was really from the fire or where it was coming from.

Pretty cool .... all of em ... Thanks for sharing! :applause:

Dain Arns
August 30th, 2010, 06:52
Naturally occurring phenomenon they are. Heat rises and as it does, it draws air from around the base of the fire ... get enough heat rising and enough air getting sucked into it and it doesn't take much ... You can create miniature versions of this in any back yard burn pile ... just that in those cases, they don't usually last that long.

Never heard too many that sounded like this one though. Wonder if that sound was really from the fire or where it was coming from.

Pretty cool .... all of em ... Thanks for sharing! :applause:

That one I was talking about earlier in the earlier post outside of Helena 20 years ago, it literally sounded like a high speed freight train as if you were standing right next to the tracks.
I can't remember how many thousands of acres were on fire that night.
It was drawing so much air, it created a wind storm with about 10 to 15mph winds.
Where ever we went around the mountain, the wind was always blowing towards the fire.
Anyway long story to get to the point...

Yep, they sound like that.
I don't know what amuses me more though.
The firefighters bugging out so quickly after it starts wailing, or the reporters finally realizing that they are all alone... :icon_lol:

demorier
August 30th, 2010, 23:04
I haven't seen them spin like that before....:australia: