PDA

View Full Version : 'Troubled Times Ahead For The IRL'...

Panther_99FS
November 20th, 2008, 13:45
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-riding-the-crisis/

demorier
November 20th, 2008, 16:10
Been hearing some news media reports of troubled times ahead for the A1GP series as well....I have heard they are in the red for some big dollars. The local sports ministry here trying to secure an A1GP race for October 2009. Something tells me....don't buy your tickets yet for 2009. I guess everything is going to suffer for some time given this global recession stuff.

Panther_99FS
November 20th, 2008, 21:46
Been hearing some news media reports of troubled times ahead for the A1GP series as well....

Ouch!
That bites too....:kilroy:

Cazzie
November 21st, 2008, 04:17
Things are tough all over, wait until the big three bailout is settled or unsettled. If unsettled and the big 3 have to file Chapter 11, things in NASCAR could be in for some bad times. The sponsors are already becoming thin, what will happen if the Big 3 have to stop supplying engines and chassis for NASCAR, the bodies have nothing to do with the Big 3, they are all done by NASCAR people.

believe me, with fan support down, TV audience down, and hard times for the working man, NASCAR officials have chewed their nails to the quick!

Caz

Panther_99FS
November 21st, 2008, 04:32
Things are tough all over, wait until the big three bailout is settled or unsettled. If unsettled and the big 3 have to file Chapter 11, things in NASCAR could be in for some bad times. The sponsors are already becoming thin, what will happen if the Big 3 have to stop supplying engines and chassis for NASCAR, the bodies have nothing to do with the Big 3, they are all done by NASCAR people.

believe me, with fan support down, TV audience down, and hard times for the working man, NASCAR officials have chewed their nails to the quick!

Caz

This means it's PRIME TIME for HONDA to move into NASCAR...:mixedsmi:

(Since Honda & Toyota have no sales troubles in the USA, funds should be no problem for them)

Cazzie
November 21st, 2008, 04:54
This means it's PRIME TIME for HONDA to move into NASCAR...:mixedsmi:

(Since Honda & Toyota have no sales troubles in the USA, funds should be no problem for them)

I'm for it, I drive a Honda. Made in America too! :d

As a side note Panther, when was the last time you were in Detroit?

It already looks like something out of Robocop. I was up a year ago to visit a friend in Fleetwood, MI. Place looks like Beirut!!! Not kidding one bit either. There are high rise buildings you can see through!!! Only difference is, I'd feel safer walking the streets of Beirut!! Hell, Baghdad for that matter. I've also heard the drop out rate in the local schools is so bad that 3 out of 4 kids never graduate. There is a problem there that money alone won't fix.

Bail out the auto industry? This whole bailout deal is just throwing good money after bad and prolonging the crisis. In the long run we'll throw away a trillion dollars and be no better off for it. We're in for some ugly times I'm afraid to say, because NO politician has the balls to do or say what really needs to be done. So much easier and popular to just keep throwing money down a rat's hole than to stand up and tell the folks the truth.

Caz

Panther_99FS
November 21st, 2008, 05:08
I'm for it, I drive a Honda. Made in America too! :d

As a side note Panther, when was the last time you were in Detroit?
Caz

1) I've never been to Detroit, but yes things are bad there...

2) Yep made in America and thus no import taxes & tariffs are paid
(and I'll save the rest for other more appropriate forums) :cost1:

wombat666
November 21st, 2008, 06:04
Bail out the auto industry? This whole bailout deal is just throwing good money after bad and prolonging the crisis. In the long run we'll throw away a trillion dollars and be no better off for it. We're in for some ugly times I'm afraid to say, because NO politician has the balls to do or say what really needs to be done. So much easier and popular to just keep throwing money down a rat's hole than to stand up and tell the folks the truth.
Caz

This subject came up recently in my circle of Petrolhead mates.
It seems that tipping say US$20.B into the USA motor industry is rather better than the US$200.B annually that the Government would be needing to find for welfare, as figures quoted for the US were 1 person in 5 working in or around the motor industry.
:isadizzy:

MaddogK
November 21st, 2008, 11:28
So what, IRL has been a waste of money and time since it's inception. The old days had manufacturers developing new technology ON the track (CART and F1) at the cost of millions for a single car, and building it into the street cars, now anyone with a half million dollars can buy a prepackaged racer and participate in an IRL event (on a circular track). The race to make participation affordable to just about anyone wanting to drive may have hamstrung development and caused the current automakers meltdown. The only real racing left in the states is the Toyota Atlantic series and Outlaw sprints- everything else is a waste (Current NASCAR included).