PDA

View Full Version : DC-2 Kyeema. Disaster in the Dandenongs

robcap
August 28th, 2010, 02:34
sorry, double post, and the embedded youtube film doesn't show, why?

robcap
August 28th, 2010, 02:36
I thought I'd share a video one of our customers made, based on a historic tragedy. Thanks Dogdoor :ernae:
After crossing the Great Dividing Range in the early afternoon, Kyeema hits heavy cloud in the Melbourne basin. Although the pilots are confident in their visual identification of Daylesford, they are mistaken. What they see, in fact, is Sunbury. They do not do their cross-checks against the ground speed, and they are nearly 30km ahead of where they thought they were.
As a result, at 1.45pm Kyeema crashes suddenly with little or no warning into the western slopes at the top of Mt Dandenong.

On October 25, 1978 a memorial cairn was officially unveiled, forty years after the crash and just meters from where the Kyeema finally came to rest in flames and in pieces.

k8JlS37Jb9I
<CODE><CODE></CODE></CODE>

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8JlS37Jb9I

Some historic background:

"It's worth mentioning that the air accident committees report, on the inquiry into the loss of the Kyeema, brought about recommendations that foreshadowed the shape of Australian Civil Aviation for years to come. Out of the recommendations would come immediate action to equip Australia's airway network with a chain of efficient radio ranges that would give instant and accurate Nav info to aircraft without depending upon cumbersome equipment operated from ground stations.

The historic decision that would follow to establish a departmental flight checking system, and to appoint flight checking officers would in effect herald the birth of Australia's system of Air Traffic Control. An airway system that would not only be unique in the world but in time would become to be regarded as the safest in the world, placing the country in a position of eminence among aviation nations far out of proportion to the size of it's population.

Within weeks of the Kyeema accident a chain of "Lorenz" radio beacons were deployed throughout south eastern Australia. Douglas and Lockheed airliners were fitted with the receiving equipment and from this time the beacons were routinely used for en route navigation.

Best, Robhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABYAAAAUCAYAAAC JfM0wAAAABHNCSVQICAgIfAhkiAAAAAlwSFlzAAAK8AAACvABQ qw0mAAAAB90RVh0U29mdHdhcmUATWFjcm9tZWRpYSBGaXJld29 ya3MgOLVo0ngAAAAWdEVYdENyZWF0aW9uIFRpbWUAMDQvMDQvM DhrK9wWAAACLklEQVQ4jbXUP0wTcRQH8O/9ekdjkT8CUqpee00bRyNNmSRSV0PcJJoQg2i6ODTExEUHg04Oa NSppqtCjQ4ukDSKSuLUwcm4NNZcQYsIGtD+u/f7MZSWXltqo/Ul7/JL7u7z3r3fLye53e5xj8ejoYWRSCSSstfr1YLBYHcr4XA4rMmM Mciy3EoXjDHIjDEoivL/4fefrP1P3nYEvqzLajOIo8fQz5/cfH3cnVttCM8udQaODBxQFx44Ye9h4HxvdGWtgMlbSXV2SQoMH f0RNcGSJJlmvPLdos7fdyIWL+D5myx+ZwwUDAIRh2EU1wYRFIt A6FwvIjdcGJr4qFYakiSBlTavlABwsJth7mUWmSyBOAfnAkQE4 gKccxBx/MoYmHmcxuH+NgAwGQ03j3NeRjjnoGqcC/zcIgghAMBkNISJuKlbEy4EaKdoKerC5nNMxQdlgVx+t0siKhYQ ovwV1rbdtyoNxlhxxoqilBMA0uuES6Pt6NqP2hHsoDarhJuXD2 F5NV/uuJR1T4XLzvTJ25/VyHUnzgzba0YkKq6pdB4T00m47EyvPhU1M54asy3ee5o55bvwQ QWAr/PHMBfbQGhGrykCANqARZ8asy3+ccYjg/K3kcF9UQAYvrJ29dmrDUxHlnOxu72P+rpYrq5eFU39K649TCF0 tnPB0WdtCt2z48rQHIp+8XTHu9ET7alm0aY6fnFHjda98a/w3wZjDJLP5xv3+/1aK+F4PJ7cBm32CUNiyI2GAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

robcap
August 28th, 2010, 03:36
Finaly got the Youtube film embedded, thanks Tim!
I tried everything, thought it was my browser, anyway.....

Ferry_vO
August 28th, 2010, 03:39
Fixed the video, Rob; you had this part between the Youtube tags : v=k8JlS37Jb9I but you should only use the part after the '='.

Nice video!

Edit: Oops, merged the threads in the wrong order..!

Cleartheprop
August 28th, 2010, 03:50
Amazing vid BTW. Well done.
A new category of FSX vid is born : accident reenactment. (from the dead pilot perspective..)