PDA

View Full Version : Light Sport aircraft I had not seen before

OBIO
August 27th, 2010, 16:57
Just got home from my Brother-in-law's 40th Birthday party. Nice outside get together with plenty of family, friends and food. While there, heard a plane...looked up and saw a light sport plane...perhaps a Piper J-3 Cub...something along that basic shape and size. The plane had the old blue and yellow USAAC paint scheme. I can't remember the squadron that used the insignia that was on the fuselage side...the arrow head with the indian noggin inside of it. The plane made 6 or 7 low slow passes over the house, which is less than a mile from the intersection of KMFD's two runways....well within visual distance. I am not sure if the plane was just visiting KMFD or is a new arrival there....but I know I have not seen it flying around this area before.

Now, I just wish there were a nice paintable Cub to slap that paint scheme onto.

OBIO

FAC257
August 28th, 2010, 12:15
I wonder if it was something like this Pobe Pixie. Looks a bit like a Cub in flight but a little smaller. This one in it's AAF colors visited our local airport a few years back.

It was for sale and think the asking price was around $5000.

FAC

OBIO
August 28th, 2010, 13:20
I am pretty sure it was a Cub...I could see the exposed heads of horizontal 4 sticking out both sides of the nose. That was the closest I have been to a Cub in real life....I "know" that the Cub is a small plane, but seeing one just a few hundred feet over my head really drove home just how small a plane it is.

OBIO

norab
August 28th, 2010, 15:26
Those who have gone over to the Dark Side can get this from A2A

TeaSea
August 28th, 2010, 15:50
I am pretty sure it was a Cub...I could see the exposed heads of horizontal 4 sticking out both sides of the nose. That was the closest I have been to a Cub in real life....I "know" that the Cub is a small plane, but seeing one just a few hundred feet over my head really drove home just how small a plane it is.

OBIO

Legend Cub most likely.....

I was in the pattern with one today. Both of us were delivering our airplanes for an annual.