PDA

View Full Version : Scenery error New Zealand South Island???

DaveKDEN
August 25th, 2010, 12:09
After experimenting for the past couple of days, I've isoated my previously posted scenery error in New Zealand's South Island to scenery area "..\scenery\1105\scenery" - which covers most of New Zealand. I've completely removed any trace (that I can think of) of any add-on scenery files. When area 1105 is enabled I get the error message. When disabled there's no problem. I have 114 files in that folder - all of which seem to be default. I don't think there's a problem in any add-on sceneries as I've disabled them all and still get the error, so long as area 1105 is enabled. Funny thing, I can fly all over the North Island without any errors. When I either fly into the South Island, or start at an airport in the South Island, I get a CTD and the error message after a bit. If someone could post a screen shot of their default "..\scenery\1105\scenery" folder I'd appreciate it. I can then compare it to what I have.

I figure there are a few possibilities; an as yet unidentified file in another scenery folder causing the problem (unlikely with the troubleshooting I've done so far), I'm missing a file in area 1105, I have an additional file in area 1105 that's causing the problem, or a corrupted file in area 1105.

PS: I removed the New Zealand landclass files (posted a couple of days ago) that turned out to use stolen GEX textures, so I don't think it caused the problem. It was installed in an isolated folder in my add-on scenery area. So I'm clear about this - I had no idea that NZ landclass had any stolen/pirated material when I downloaded and installed it.

PPS: I appreciate those who have offered suggestions so far (in my earlier post). I thought I would try a new post to see if I could solicit any additional feedback.

Here's a screenshot of the error message;

Dain Arns
August 25th, 2010, 16:12
Seemed like there was a problem a long time ago when FSX first came out with the texture paths that run under powerlines, it was a seasonal thing.
It occurred mostly during fall/winter, which is what New Zealand is in now.
I thought that was fixed though in a SP.
There was an edit to remove those from being displayed and that solved the problem for me.
About the only thing I can think of Dave.

For a quick check to see if that is the problem, try setting up a free flight on the South Island for December or January, see if the CTD still occurs. :kilroy:

DaveKDEN
August 25th, 2010, 19:06
Seemed like there was a problem a long time ago when FSX first came out with the texture paths that run under powerlines, it was a seasonal thing.
It occurred mostly during fall/winter, which is what New Zealand is in now.
I thought that was fixed though in a SP.
There was an edit to remove those from being displayed and that solved the problem for me.
About the only thing I can think of Dave.

For a quick check to see if that is the problem, try setting up a free flight on the South Island for December or January, see if the CTD still occurs. :kilroy:

Didn't work. Thanks for the tip though. This is completely baffling.

Dain Arns
August 25th, 2010, 20:33
Didn't work. Thanks for the tip though. This is completely baffling.

I'm out of ideas then. :frown:

anthony31
August 25th, 2010, 20:34
Find attached composite screenshot of my NZ folder.

Total files 114
Size 79,951,185 bytes

You can track down a particular file causing a problem in a huge batch of files by using this method:

Make a backup of the folder first for safety.

Pull out half the files and place in a safe location.

If the problem persists, pull out half of the files left.

If the problem is fixed, return half the files.

Repeat until you've narrowed it down to the one file causing the problem.

DaveKDEN
August 25th, 2010, 20:50
Find attached composite screenshot of my NZ folder.

Total files 114
Size 79,951,185 bytes

You can track down a particular file causing a problem in a huge batch of files by using this method:

Make a backup of the folder first for safety.

Pull out half the files and place in a safe location.

If the problem persists, pull out half of the files left.

If the problem is fixed, return half the files.

Repeat until you've narrowed it down to the one file causing the problem.

Thanks Anthony - good idea!

DaveKDEN
August 26th, 2010, 15:06
I've tracked the problem down to "cvx9347.bgl" in the "..\scenery\1105\scenery" folder. That file is 10.3 MB, which seems kind of large as compared to most other files in that folder. The file appears to be default based on the files access date matching the other files in that folder. It apparently is either underlying coastline data for the east and west central coasts of the South Island, or just underlying mesh data. With that file removed, detailed coastlines are replaced by default sandy textures that extend out into the ocean.
I'm not sure if the file is corrupted or not, so if anyone is willing, could you please e-mail me that particular file so I can see if it gives me the same error.

anthony31
August 26th, 2010, 18:38
I can't email the file Dave

It would take forever to upload for me as my email uploads are really slow. What I will do is upload it to a file sharing website later on tonight and then PM you the link. Once you've downloaded it I will delete the link.

One thing you can do, if you have a spare computer, is install FSX onto it. You don't have to register it or anything and then you can copy the FSX folder to a backup HD. This way you have a nice clean fresh install of FSX which you can use to replace files that get corrupted or messed up (had to do that a couple of time myself).

DaveKDEN
August 26th, 2010, 19:25
I can't email the file Dave

It would take forever to upload for me as my email uploads are really slow. What I will do is upload it to a file sharing website later on tonight and then PM you the link. Once you've downloaded it I will delete the link.

One thing you can do, if you have a spare computer, is install FSX onto it. You don't have to register it or anything and then you can copy the FSX folder to a backup HD. This way you have a nice clean fresh install of FSX which you can use to replace files that get corrupted or messed up (had to do that a couple of time myself).

Thanks Anthony.

DaveKDEN
August 27th, 2010, 09:28
I wouldn't have believed it, but the problam was a bad "cvx9347.bgl" file. Don't know how such a thing could go bad, but Anthony was kind enough to send me the file and it worked!

Big thanks to everyone who helped with this issue!
Now off to fly New Zealand in Anthony's new Sierra. :ernae: