PDA

View Full Version : JetCamVideo: You can overfly military bases...

Bone
August 24th, 2010, 08:23
...it happens all the time (in N. America, anyway) . Every now and then I see a post where someone questions a civilian plane overflying a military base, ie "What was that all about, can they do that?". Yes, you can, but you have to be under radar control; although there are bases you just can't overfly under any circumstances. Here is a short clip passing by McConnell Air Force Base, on the way into Wichita Mid Continent Airport (KICT) in Kansas.

Yawn, hope it's not too boring.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/FlightVideos/th_McConnellAFBFlyBy.jpg (http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/FlightVideos/?action=view&current=McConnellAFBFlyBy.mp4)

stuartcox
August 24th, 2010, 09:41
Boring?
Oh no!
Please keep them coming! Most of us would love to be sitting in your seat...:applause:

jmig
August 24th, 2010, 09:46
These are really nice. Thank you for the peeks into the front office.

kilo delta
August 24th, 2010, 10:12
Can you do a swift course change and overfly Groom Lake for the next vid? :d

Wing_Z
August 24th, 2010, 11:46
The cam is attached to sunglasses?
When you zoom, I presume you are not zoomed too - how is that controlled, or do you guess what the frame is?

mfitch
August 24th, 2010, 12:31
Are these over flights always allowed or does permission have to be requested every time? In particular I am curious how the coordination is done to keep civilian traffic away from departing/arriving military traffic.

These videos have been fun to watch. Thanks

Bjoern
August 25th, 2010, 15:55
In particular I am curious how the coordination is done to keep civilian traffic away from departing/arriving military traffic.

Schedules, radar and a direct line to KICT approach?

Bone
August 25th, 2010, 18:31
Are these over flights always allowed or does permission have to be requested every time? In particular I am curious how the coordination is done to keep civilian traffic away from departing/arriving military traffic.

These videos have been fun to watch. Thanks

There is no need to do any coordinating, the same controller who is working the military flights is working the civilian flights. That's his airspace and he's working everyone that's in it.

Flyboy208
August 25th, 2010, 18:42
Several years ago I did touch and go's from Lawrenceville, GA into NAS Atlanta/Dobbins ARB in a C-172RG and had no problems. Was cool to talk with the USN/USAF ATC ...

Mike :wavey:

frankwi
August 25th, 2010, 20:05
I really enjoy your videos.

TeaSea
August 26th, 2010, 02:50
Here at MacDill the Class D airspace around the base is under the Tampa Class B. The left and right base legs into runway 36L and 36R are executed just east and west of the base, with the traffic then proceeding over MacDill us before turning final. I've heard several passengers comment on that when I was coming in on a flight that way.

Don't get off course, you'll pop into the Class D for Albert-Whitted, Davis Island, or St. Pete International!