PDA

View Full Version : How do I scrape Norton 2010 off my shoe.

Helldiver
August 24th, 2010, 06:10
I tried putting in Plum Island into FSX.. Norton 2010 promptly deleted it on the grounds that there were not 10 persons that had tried putting it in. Therefore it must be teeming wth viruses.
Now how can there be 10 people putting it in if Norton keeps stopping them?
They wipe the download right off my computer. I goes into Nortons chat room three seperate times. I got promises from Jagra, Saranda and Jepsa they would notify Norton and it will be corrected immediately. This was last Wednesday. As of this morning, no Plum Island.
Does anyone know how I can turn Norton off so I could sneak Plum Island on my computer? Then turn it on again.

spotlope
August 24th, 2010, 06:20
I tried putting in Plum Island into FSX.. Norton 2010 promptly deleted it on the grounds that there were not 10 persons that had tried putting it in. Therefore it must be teeming wth viruses.
They wipe the download right off my computer. I goes into Nortons chat room three seperate times. I got promises from Jagra, Saranda and Jepsa they would notify Norton and it will be corrected immediately. This was last Wednesday. As of this morning, no Plum Island.
Does anyone know how I can turn Norton off so I could sneak Plum Island on my computer? Then turn it on again.

What you want is not to turn Norton off, it's to eradicate it completely from your system and replace it with a competent virus scanner that won't bog down your computer seven ways to Sunday and render it nearly inoperable. In case I wasn't clear, I despise all Norton system products. If you can, uninstall it and delete it completely, then replace it with a lightweight, capable AV like NOD32, or (from what I hear) MS Security Essentials.

ryanbatc
August 24th, 2010, 06:28
What you want is not to turn Norton off, it's to eradicate it completely from your system and replace it with a competent virus scanner that won't bog down your computer seven ways to Sunday and render it nearly inoperable. In case I wasn't clear, I despise all Norton system products. If you can, uninstall it and delete it completely, then replace it with a lightweight, capable AV like NOD32, or (from what I hear) MS Security Essentials.

What he said... :)

JAllen
August 24th, 2010, 06:33
Helldiver, dump Norton! What a total pain in the butt they are and McAffee is no better. Norton got in the way of everything I ever tried to do on my own PC. I own my PC and not some damned AV company!! (Interesting that no AV software has ever detected a virus on my system. How lucky have I been?) I switched to MS Security Essentials with my W7 install. W7 is great too, so far.

Jim

ZEUS67
August 24th, 2010, 06:36

Uninstall Norton ASAP. It is a systems resources hog. It just bog downs your computer's performance. Select another antivirus solution: NOD32, AVG, Avats or even MS Essentials (although I'm not a fan of MS security products).

There is no solution while you have Norton in your system. If you succeed to turn it off and install your add-on, Norton will delete it on the next security scan it performs.

Z-AZ1USN
August 24th, 2010, 06:44
I use eset and it works great. It doesn't use as much resource as McAfee and Norton.
It has a firewall protection, email and you can turn it off.

Info: http://www.eset.com/

Tim-HH
August 24th, 2010, 06:51

Hi Robert,

all you have to do is to deactivate the oversensitive SONAR protection:

That will prevent Norton from deleting any of your files only because less than 10 peoples are using it. And apart from that I have to say that I like Norton 2010.

Greetings
Tim

expat
August 24th, 2010, 07:34
Have been using freeware AVG for years and have not had nor heard any complaints from FS users.

Cazzie
August 24th, 2010, 07:42
Since your Norton is probably paid up, wait until it expires and uninstall and delete all traces of it! Get AVG 9.0 like expat says, best Anti-Virus I have ever used, will never use Norton or McAfee again, they are too busy running in the background.

Caz

b52bob
August 24th, 2010, 08:32
Good luck deleting it. Not you run of the mill delete. You have to download a deletion program from Norton.

Had Norton twice and was bitten twice.

jankees
August 24th, 2010, 09:11
'Get rid of Norton!' will be my advice too!
There are a ton of better products available.
I get F-secure from my employer, never a problem.

Tako_Kichi
August 24th, 2010, 09:26
I quit using anything by Norton after Norton 2000 gave me some bad issues. I used to use AVG instead but for the past few years I have been using Avast free AV with zero problems.

Aviator32
August 24th, 2010, 09:36
I never use anything and never have any problems. I used to use AVG until I realised it never actually caught anything because I've never had a virus and it was just running in the background and getting fatter and fatter. Go Commando - unless you are extremely careless you don't really need an anti-virus thse days. They are more trouble thean they are worth.

wantok
August 24th, 2010, 09:40
Been using Norton with same license for 3 puters all these years with no problems. Well, 'cept for slight language barrier issues while renewing anually through India and Philippines. As Jankees mentioned, just disable the sonar protection when running your sim software.

italoc
August 24th, 2010, 10:57

I have the same opinion on Norton !!!!:salute:
Have experienced N in the past and ended up not installing it again (after HD crash (not Norton fault) and rebuild of system)
Italo

raptor19
August 24th, 2010, 11:59
Helldiver,

I agree completely with the majority of comments re Norton i.e. it is a resource hog! I went over to the full AVG payware but that too has got to be intrusive with time. I currently use Kaspersky 2011 which I find far less intrusive but which seems to do the job O.K.

If you are determined to replace Norton then removing it can be a pain but there is a removal tool on Norton's website. It used to be well hidden on the site as (obviously) they want you to continue using their product. If you need the tool and can't find it then post a note and I'll find it and post the link for you.

Regards,

John N.

Helldiver
August 24th, 2010, 12:44
I want to thank everyones help and I did get rid of Norton. I was able to put in Plum Island. It's all there but the buildings don't show up.
It's always something.

Pepere
August 24th, 2010, 12:46
I belive Norton is a free gift from Comcast to their internet useres. I tried it but it runs the show and your computer. Went back to AVG within one day. Free or not I won't use Norton either.

David

spotlope
August 24th, 2010, 12:50
I want to thank everyones help and I did get rid of Norton. I was able to put in Plum Island. It's all there but the buildings don't show up.
It's always something.

Bob, I could have sworn you've been through this before. The FSAddon installer isn't smart enough to remove scenery entries from your library on uninstall, or not to add a second listing when you reinstall. You need to go into your scenery library and manually delete one of the Plum Island entries.

JayKae
August 24th, 2010, 13:21
Have been using freeware AVG for years and have not had nor heard any complaints from FS users.

Then here is the first one lol. As an administrator of dedicated servers that have Corporate versions of Norton etc running, all files on my servers get scanned 3 times a day. But every so often, it is always and I mean always a AVG user who cannot install something that was downloaded from my servers because AVG is giving them false positives, THEN I also find out that AVG for whatever reason had blacklisted two of my main three sites for reasons they could not give me, talking to their customer support they offered me a free version of AVG as compensation for the trouble.. but ... but... hang on... AVG IS already free, so do you mean a full version for free? No, they didn't, they were offering me the free version for free :applause::kilroy:

Nuff' said about AVG me thinks ;)

euroastar350
August 24th, 2010, 13:30
I use Avast anti-virus free edition and I just installed it on 2 of my friends PC. I don't want to pay for subscriptions each year just to get my PC protected:salute:

I despise Norton as well, always slowed my computer down each time. Just not worth it.

kilo delta
August 24th, 2010, 13:43
I'm running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 on all of my systems. I've tried out all of the opposition and have been most impressed by Kaspersky's offering.

Helldiver
August 24th, 2010, 13:51
Bill, I have scruptously cleaned all vestiges of Plum Island before installing it.
This one is a mystery.
I'll do it once more.

spotlope
August 24th, 2010, 13:55
Don't just clean out the folders, make sure the entries are removed from your scenery.cfg as well. The only two things I've seen cause a loss of buildings on the airport are double entries in the scenery.cfg file, and having the scenery complexity slider set to something lower than "normal".

expat
August 25th, 2010, 00:26
use Avast anti-virus free edition

Had Avast as well but my rig ran MUCH slower than with AVG.

Often before I sim, I just open the Task Manager and just delete/kill the anti-virus and anything else not necessary that is high on memory-use list running in the background. It's like cutting grass or brush - you need to stay on top of it 'cause these programs that run quietly in the background grow over time. You will notice a difference.

Seaking055
August 25th, 2010, 04:12
Yup, Norton is a HUGE resource hog, delete for sure. If you download the free removal tool from Norton it will do it all for you, make sure to then run a registry cleaner just in case.
My choice... I use Kaspersky antivirus, it's small does a fantastic job and yes you can turn off the protection. In the 3 years I've been using it I've not had one issue.
It's not free, last year though I got it for $35..........
Hope that helps

Helldiver
August 25th, 2010, 05:21
I cleaned out the Scenery folder with the same results. So I put in a new version of FSX and all is well.
I would say that there is a great deal of hatred about Norton products. No wonder they gave it away for free with this Laptop.
hanks for all the advice.