PDA

View Full Version : Scenery memory problem?

DaveKDEN
August 23rd, 2010, 17:17
Anyone else ever get this error message? Tried the freeware New Zealand landclass scenery and wound up with this. Thought the problem might be the scenery, but I completley removed it and I'm still getting this message in New Zeland.

Dain Arns
August 23rd, 2010, 17:33
I finally got it all downloaded.
I'll check here in a few minutes, but I'm not going to do a default install on it from their installer.
I don't like the way it's trying to set it up.
I'm extracting to a separate folder.
I want to see the structure of it first.

Dain Arns
August 23rd, 2010, 18:18
Working just fine here, Dave.
But I extracted everything to a folder named "Real NZ" that I created in the "Addon Scenery" folder.
Then activated it manually in the Scenery Library settings.
I also did not use the Autogen installer that came with it.
That was all textures, and I did not see the reason to use them.

I think the package looks great.
Probably on par with UTX and GEX, IMHO.
I think it would probably look much better with more detailed mesh, than the default mesh.

DaveKDEN
August 23rd, 2010, 19:08
Working just fine here, Dave.
But I extracted everything to a folder named "Real NZ" that I created in the "Addon Scenery" folder.
Then activated it manually in the Scenery Library settings.
I also did not use the Autogen installer that came with it.
That was all textures, and I did not see the reason to use them.

I think the package looks great.
Probably on par with UTX and GEX, IMHO.
I think it would probably look much better with more detailed mesh, than the default mesh.
Anyone know of a good freeware mesh for New Zealand?

Thanks again Dain,
I think I have some left over files from another scenery I must have downloaded that's causing the problem. I removed a freeware NZ landclass file I installed some time ago, but still have memory crashes in NZ. Been going through my FSX folder searching for erroneous files without much luck.
Might help if someone could point me to where all the default NZ scenery files reside, and which files are there.

Dain Arns
August 23rd, 2010, 19:15
Well, I think I remember...
I was having similar problems with FTX's Tasmania Demo scenery at one time.
Turned out it was some other add-on scenery for another product that was causing the problem.
I ended up shutting all of the other scenery off, then activating it back on, one by one until I found the problem one.
Just a thought... :kilroy:

DaveKDEN
August 23rd, 2010, 19:36
Well, I think I remember...
I was having similar problems with FTX's Tasmania Demo scenery at one time.
Turned out it was some other add-on scenery for another product that was causing the problem.
I ended up shutting all of the other scenery off, then activating it back on, one by one until I found the problem one.
Just a thought... :kilroy:

Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow.

DaveKDEN
August 24th, 2010, 13:43
I've tried about all I can think to solve this problem. Went through and deleted all the add-on scenery for New Zealand I can think of. I've isolated it to just the majority of the South Island of New Zealand. However, I can takeoff from Invercargill and fly south over Stewart Island. When I fly North out of Invercargill I can only get about few miles before CTD and the scenery error listed in the title post of this thread. I can also take off out of Wellington and fly south. Once I reach a few miles inland over the South Island from the north I get the same CTD and error.

I'm wondering if anyone might have any ideas? I'm thinking perhaps something in my default New Zealand scenery is corrupted.

NoNewMessages
August 24th, 2010, 14:05
My mind is thinking that you just wham-blam installed this stuff without making any backups? I never got to parts 3 & 4 to know what they contained, but parts 1 & 2 were just textures and autogen files. Neither should create problems.

What you can try is start FSX and go into the scenery library. There you should deactivate everything but the bottom two entries: Default Terrain and Default Scenery, along with keeping folders 1105 and 1106 active and keep the Australia folder up in #100s active. There are these two to keep active also: Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries and Propeller Objects.

That's the bare minimum to run in New Zealand. If it still crashes you have something to look for in the \Scenery\Base or \Scenery\World or 1105 or 1106 folders. If it doesn't crash, then you can start adding folders that you believe apply to the area until it does crash.

Or you could just reinstall and blame it on not keeping track of what goes on with your computer...

DaveKDEN
August 24th, 2010, 14:23
My mind is thinking that you just wham-blam installed this stuff without making any backups? I never got to parts 3 & 4 to know what they contained, but parts 1 & 2 were just textures and autogen files. Neither should create problems.

What you can try is start FSX and go into the scenery library. There you should deactivate everything but the bottom two entries: Default Terrain and Default Scenery, along with keeping folders 1105 and 1106 active and keep the Australia folder up in #100s active. There are these two to keep active also: Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries and Propeller Objects.

That's the bare minimum to run in New Zealand. If it still crashes you have something to look for in the \Scenery\Base or \Scenery\World or 1105 or 1106 folders. If it doesn't crash, then you can start adding folders that you believe apply to the area until it does crash.

Or you could just reinstall and blame it on not keeping track of what goes on with your computer...

I appreciate the info, however, in my defence, I've always been VERY CAREFUL with the installation of anything -sceneries included (no wham-blam here man). Perhaps the only exception is commercial sceneries that have auto-installers. I figure they should be completely safe as they're typically very thoroughly beta tested before they reach the average cusomer. However, there are times where I don't always check out an add-on right away. As such, it's entirely possible I added a scenery long ago that I never test flew that might be the culprit.
I'll take a look at the 1105 and 1106 folders and experiment with deactivating other sceneries.
Thanks

Edit; Out of curiousity, between the 1105 and 1106 folder, which one covers the South Island?

JoeW
August 24th, 2010, 15:22
I had that problem with XP. I started shutting down Ad-Aware and Skype while FSX is running. Don't need them while it's running.

DaveKDEN
August 24th, 2010, 15:55
Well, it seems to have something to do with the 1105 scenery folder. When it's disabled, no error. Not long after enabling it again, I get the error. Either that, or another sceneries folder's content is interfering with the 1105 folder.
Would anyone mind posting a picture of their default "..\scenery\1105\scenery" folders contents so I can compare it to what's in mine?

NoNewMessages
August 24th, 2010, 16:06
... the 1105 scenery folder.

For a FSXA install, the last dated file is 08/31/2006. Anything newer than that came from somewhere else. Same for the 1106 folder.

Working off the grid in the SDKs, the south island is split between 1105 and 1106 about 2/3 the way down. File count is 1105=114 and 1106=74.

One other thing you could try, if you still have not disposed of the RealNZ files if to make a temporary folder and point each installer to that location. It should give an uncluttered view as to what was placed and where.

Even if you find a rogue file, do you have a backup of the original?

DaveKDEN
August 24th, 2010, 16:09
Even if you find a rogue file, do you have a backup of the original?

I figure I could get it off the FSX installation discs.