PDA

View Full Version : Stutters?

PRB
August 23rd, 2010, 17:11
Is there a quick answer to what causes stutters? I have 8 GB of fast RAM, for heaven's sake, a fast 8 core processor? Why the heck am I stuttering?

robert41
August 23rd, 2010, 19:53
Iam no expert in computers, far from it. What I have read about stutters is that the processor is feeding more info to the vid card, than the vid card can handle. Also I have experienced some stutter in very hot room temps. As to a cure, there are many mods to FS, vid card, CFG, computer settings. I have only tried some of these. I can run default FSX at max display settings, set at 30fps with no stutters, very smooth, except for a couple of areas. I think detailed scenery is the killer. With PNW scenery, I set frames to unlimited and is very smooth.

txnetcop
August 25th, 2010, 04:53
Paul according to Phil FSX is set up to address all 8 cores however you have to tune them to work. I would take a trip over to Nick N's site and follow his guide. I just build a six core i7980 for a guy who uses his at a flight school and when I went to see him yesterday he showed me how incredible FSX and X-Plane were working on his computer I built. I wish I had copied his config file for you. I will try to call him and see how he set up his config file. I know he said something about a tool similar to alacrity to manipulate his cores. I assume you are using dual Xeons is that correct?
Ted

harleyman
August 26th, 2010, 04:09
You may be able to loose that also with a TBM tweak...

texture Bandwidth Multiplier in the FSX Config...Its default at 40...Try...10...the 60 70 80

Give each a good 10 minutes test ..

wallyboard
August 26th, 2010, 08:34
Turning off search indexing (in Win7) also cured most of my micro-stutters.

Cheers
Larry

harleyman
August 26th, 2010, 10:25
Thats right...I forgot that too..

Thanks for that

guzler
August 27th, 2010, 12:04
How do you do that ?

robert41
August 27th, 2010, 15:18
Go to control panel, programs and features, in the top left click turn windows features on/off, a list will come up, uncheck indexing service. Great thing about Win 7, you can turn things off without deleting them.

PRB
August 27th, 2010, 15:59
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT was 30 on my system. I set it to 10, and flew around. I think it's better. I'll leave it there a whiel to get a better feel, then slowly go through the other values. I just now turned off indexing for the FS drive. As soon as its done "un-indexing" I'll go for another test flight. Thanks for the tips!

harleyman
August 30th, 2010, 03:58
Also try higher numbers too..Like 60-110

Once its close..then tweak a bit more using single numbers..

stansdds
August 31st, 2010, 02:04
I have found that high numbers, at least with SP2-Acceleration, reduce the performance of FSX. Mine is at 40 and that seems to be the sweet spot.

harleyman
August 31st, 2010, 15:29
I have found that high numbers, at least with SP2-Acceleration, reduce the performance of FSX. Mine is at 40 and that seems to be the sweet spot.

My Win 7 Comp likes 40

My Vista Install likes 10

Go figure...??????????