PDA

View Full Version : Apple Files for Patent to Disable Jailbroken iPhones.

Allen
August 22nd, 2010, 19:28
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mashable/20100822/tc_mashable/apple_files_for_patent_to_disable_jailbroken_iphon es

This is going to be bad PR.

Panther_99FS
August 22nd, 2010, 19:32
Ironic, especially in light of all the hatred about Bill Gates & Steve Ballmer.....

Lionheart
August 22nd, 2010, 19:33
If they do this, I'll get an Android.

I am tired of their war against the people.

Chacha
August 22nd, 2010, 19:45
Interesting....

Dangerousdave26
August 22nd, 2010, 19:48
If they do this, I'll get an Android.

I am tired of their war against the people.

:icon_twi:

PRB
August 22nd, 2010, 19:50
Interesting indeed. How similar is this to the whole pirates and FS planes issue? War against the people, or against the hackers? and/or those who benefit from the hacking? As Spock would say, "Sauce, for the goose, Mr. Savik?"

Mick
August 22nd, 2010, 20:34
Well now...

Seems to me that once you buy a device, you ought to be able to do whatever you want with it, other than to copy it and sell counterfeits. Apple clearly doesn't think so.

If they want to say that doing things they don't approve of will void your warranty, I guess that's their prerogative, so long as they make it clear at the point of purchase. But I think that maintaining the ability to disable a device that someone paid for if they do something the manufacturer doesn't like with it is beyond the pale.

Hmm... Should Ford be able to disable your car if you try to drive drunk? Should Smith & Wesson be able to disable your gun if you try to shoot someone?

Odd fantasies aside, it's an example of corporate megalomania and copyright/patent abuse. Nobody wants to sell you a product anymore; they just want to sell you a license to use the product in the ways they thought of and expect you to use it. Then if you think up another use, they can say it's not covered by the license, and demand more money for an expanded license if you want to use the product in the new way. They want to keep control and use that control to make more money in all the new ways they (or you) can think of.

I recently saw a wall calendar for sale in a store - a regular paper calendar like people have been buying and hanging on their walls since the invention of paper. On the back it said that the buyer is purchasing a license to display the calendar in the manner intended by the publisher, and any other use, specifically including the removal of any of the pictures for display in any other context than on the calendar during the indicated month and year, whether that use be private or commercial, is prohibited and will be subject to prosecution if discovered.

I am not making this up. Yep, if you cut out one of the pictures and hang it on your wall by itself, and the publisher finds out, they will hunt you down and prosecute you in court. Never mind that a judge would probably laugh them out of court, if not hit them with substantial court costs for wasting the judge's time. It sounds stupid and outrageous, but the publisher clearly meant every word of it.

If I walk into a store any buy something with good money, I don't care what the paperwork says, I didn't buy a license; I bought a calendar, or a phone, or whaver I walked out of the store with.

People think flightsim developers are being snarky for wanting some control over where and how they give stuff away for free, while corporate giants want to limit how you can use the stuff you've bought from them, so they can retroactively jack up the price every time you get a new idea.

Allen
August 22nd, 2010, 22:13
:salute: Mick you fine Sir have put to paper what I have been trying to. :salute:

I though would never have to post this here but I'll have to. Ladies and Gentlemen this bears repeating.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2140416768_1ee92bcd95.jpg

Well now...

Seems to me that once you buy a device, you ought to be able to do whatever you want with it, other than to copy it and sell counterfeits. Apple clearly doesn't think so.

If they want to say that doing things they don't approve of will void your warranty, I guess that's their prerogative, so long as they make it clear at the point of purchase. But I think that maintaining the ability to disable a device that someone paid for if they do something the manufacturer doesn't like with it is beyond the pale.

Hmm... Should Ford be able to disable your car if you try to drive drunk? Should Smith & Wesson be able to disable your gun if you try to shoot someone?

Odd fantasies aside, it's an example of corporate megalomania and copyright/patent abuse. Nobody wants to sell you a product anymore; they just want to sell you a license to use the product in the ways they thought of and expect you to use it. Then if you think up another use, they can say it's not covered by the license, and demand more money for an expanded license if you want to use the product in the new way. They want to keep control and use that control to make more money in all the new ways they (or you) can think of.

I recently saw a wall calendar for sale in a store - a regular paper calendar like people have been buying and hanging on their walls since the invention of paper. On the back it said that the buyer is purchasing a license to display the calendar in the manner intended by the publisher, and any other use, specifically including the removal of any of the pictures for display in any other context than on the calendar during the indicated month and year, whether that use be private or commercial, is prohibited and will be subject to prosecution if discovered.

I am not making this up. Yep, if you cut out one of the pictures and hang it on your wall by itself, and the publisher finds out, they will hunt you down and prosecute you in court. Never mind that a judge would probably laugh them out of court, if not hit them with substantial court costs for wasting the judge's time. It sounds stupid and outrageous, but the publisher clearly meant every word of it.

If I walk into a store any buy something with good money, I don't care what the paperwork says, I didn't buy a license; I bought a calendar, or a phone, or whaver I walked out of the store with.

People think flightsim developers are being snarky for wanting some control over where and how they give stuff away for free, while corporate giants want to limit how you can use the stuff you've bought from them, so they can retroactively jack up the price every time you get a new idea.

Lionheart
August 23rd, 2010, 06:40
PRB
Interesting indeed. How similar is this to the whole pirates and FS planes issue? War against the people, or against the hackers? and/or those who benefit from the hacking? As Spock would say, "Sauce, for the goose, Mr. Savik?"

I am in no way saying that they (people) should be allowed to steel. That is not what I meant in any way.

What this does is enable people to go 'anywhere' for media and Apps for their 'Media Devices' which is all these things are.

What Apple have basically done is create a closed off market in which you must buy all your media through 'them' and no one else. They are simply trying to keep it that way.

Some very good points Mick.

If I buy a CD player at BestBuy and it states in a license that I must buy ALL (every single one) CD at BestBuy and no where else, then whats the point? I bought a CD player, not a CD store....

Now, here's the weird part. I am 'not' Jailbroken and I do buy most all of my media through iTunes and I am satisfied with that. But I have friends that are jailbroken and they go to lots of different places online to purchase music and Apps. (purchase). You can buy music at several outlets online. iTunes is 'not' the only store online.

To go slightly off topic. I saw a guy 2 days ago with the new iPhone 4G. He says he loves it and that all the hipe was goofy on the antennae issue. Then, he shows me how he could turn off the 'bars' (signal strength indicator) by doing what he called the 'death grip' (holding it like normal) and the bars began disappearing, and this is with his rubber band gadget on it.

I felt sorry. My fave company. Death grip?!

<--- hangs head low, kicks the dirt lightly with foot...

EDIT:

What if.... What if we, as developers of planes and scenery, had to be 'OK'd' through Microsoft Gaming to sell our planes for FS, and then they could only be sold through Microsoft, through a iPlanes website, and places like SimMarket, PCAviator, Flight1, and all the rest were a 'no no' and you are a 'jailbreaker' for going to other places for planes other then the main store....

EDIT2: What if you buy a car and you are no longer able to buy fuel or batteries through anyone but that very manufacturer. Lets say Nissan for instance. You 'must' buy Nissan fuel and batteries from them or they terminate your warranty and contract. What if you could buy fuel and batteries at Walmart for far less money? What would you do?

Its a very difficult subject as Apple have created this 'awesome' system, but I think that the world market and 'realism' is getting involved now. Such a 'huge' amount of people now own these devices and the 'market' for the media that these things 'run' or play is immense. What if someone was a Azure player nut and goes to iPod Touch and wants to continue buying his music from Yahoo Music? What if he just doesnt like iTunes? Its like people that dont want QuickTime on their computers. They want a different player for their media. Do you tell them they just cant do it their way?

That is my point. I do not support thieves and stealing. But when it comes to buying media, shouldnt we be allowed to buy it where we want?

Snuffy
August 23rd, 2010, 06:50
Humor an idiot ... I've read the links and I'm still clueless ...

In elementary terms ... what is jailbreaking? :confused:

Quixoticish
August 23rd, 2010, 07:07
Humor an idiot ... I've read the links and I'm still clueless ...

In elementary terms ... what is jailbreaking? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

HundertzehnGustav
August 23rd, 2010, 10:55
these things are designed to habve tons of features..; and no matter how awesome everything is, once you start cutting back on peoples "relative freedom of choice"...
you are done.

apple first handed you out your lollipops, but now puts strings to them, in order to control what you do, can do and cannot do, will be sued for.

control freaks wanting to rule the world. hang'em.

Allen
August 23rd, 2010, 12:06
will be sued for.

There's an app for that.:jump:

/Ah fark I now owe Apple for that line.

OBIO
August 23rd, 2010, 12:37
And this "stuff" is the reason I refuse to buy a new phone. The cell phone I/we have now is a Motorola something or other, one of those pre-paid Tracfone numbers. Bought it on Feb 27, 2005 (happened to find the receipt in the user manual the other day). It has no camera, no keypad, no touch screen, no video, no WiFi. It has an On/Off button, a couple buttons to pull up the menu, some buttons to dial phone numbers. That's it. The only "apps" it has are:

"Paper Holder Version 1", which allows me to set the phone on a unspecified number of sheets of paper and the phone will hold them in place.

"Dog Begone Version 2", which allows me to deter a dog from getting any closer to my by throwing the phone upside the dog's head....this app does not always work however.

and my favorite app of all time

"Is that a cell phone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" This one is self explanatory.

No one can prevent me from using these apps whenever I want. No insane contracts, no insane monthly bills. $30 every three months to keep the phone working and stocked up with minutes.

OBIO

HundertzehnGustav
August 23rd, 2010, 13:25
applause! apllause!!!
:jump:

Wing_Z
August 23rd, 2010, 17:58
Let me say firstly I do have an iPhone, and I suppose it is Jailbroken, whatever that means, because I am able to insert a simcard and just use it.
(The US clearly has some kind of monopoly issue not apparent elsewhere.)

I have all these apps (mostly free) and I am soo happy that they come from a reliable source like the iTunes Store. This means they generally Work, and presumably carry some kind of endorsement from Apple that they will not phone home and give my credit card number to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to pay for his uranium imports.

There was much bleating about Windows years ago, doing the same kind of thing, and I assumed everybody had selective amnesia: who would ever want to go back to trying to figure out what screen driver to use, all the while not being able to see anything because the monitor was blank! Windows changed our computing lives.

So Apple has changed the way I communicate, and go about my daily life, untethered from my PC.
Thank you, Apple, for my mobile contacts, calendar, notes, voice memos, calculator, email, maps, compass(!), World Clock, google search, Car Finder, Emergency Beacon, Weatherbug, Satellite Flyby schedule, camera, video, photobucket hotlink, hotel and restaurant GPS links, Shazam, Youtube, Web browser, ipod...yes there is a phone in there too, but you know...
In a sense, it's refreshing to see a corporation maintain its standards, by not letting everybody and his dog at the product...it's actually the hard way of going about things.

djscoo
August 23rd, 2010, 18:19
antitrust anyone?

PRB
August 23rd, 2010, 18:31
Well, when you bought an I-Phone, you signed on to the agreement to play by all Apple's rules. “Jail breaking” it violates that agreement, so I guess Apple should now be able to do something about it. That's why it's called “jail breaking” and not “adding an app.” It's just like these payware planes we all buy. You don't own anything after you “buy” one. You're paying for the right to play with it on the developer's terms, not yours. It still belongs to them, not you. It's a crazy world gone mad. If we stopped signing on to such agreements, they might go away.

Wing_Z
August 23rd, 2010, 23:21
antitrust anyone?
Exactly what Antitrust legislation is there for.
MS came within a whisker of being broken up.
Until they cross that line, it's all good.