PDA

View Full Version : International Orange Cub

pilottj
August 22nd, 2010, 18:27
Hey folks

I was a little late to the party with the A2A Cub, I have really been enjoying it. I did a little recolor in orange. Lol if you have to make a forced landing, your international orange cub will be easy to spot :)

Cheers
TJ

stormtrooper271
August 22nd, 2010, 18:30
That kind of reminds me of this (http://www.pipercubforum.com/sydney.htm).

Lionheart
August 22nd, 2010, 18:47
I like that paint color TJ.

Somehow, the Cub looks good in all bright, radical colors.

That guy on that link that Stormtrooper posted was interesting. What a nut. At least he was smart enough to load up the plane with peanuts (styrofoam)before going on his transatlandtic flight so if he had to land, it would float.

Bill

bkeske
August 22nd, 2010, 20:03
Hey folks

I was a little late to the party with the A2A Cub, I have really been enjoying it. I did a little recolor in orange. Lol if you have to make a forced landing, your international orange cub will be easy to spot :)

Cheers
TJ

Do yourself a favor, and treat yourself to these Urs Burkhardt masterpieces. That guy is a repainting genius.

Link:

http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&match=urs+burkhardt+a2a+cub

Was flying the A2A Cub today after reaching The Seattle area with my new Orbx/FTX PNW scenery installed. Took off from Bremerton and decided to take a big loop around Seattle counter clockwise, avoiding all the airspace, and dodging the clouds. My plan was to land at Paine, north of Seattle, but I got caught between cloud layers, so decided to carry on to Fairchild.

As I was making the flight pretty much by visuals with a sectional map, I really had no idea what the wind conditions were, so found out what they were for Fairchild about 50 miles out. Geez....17 KT coming from 300 degrees. Thus, I decided to go 'straight in' to RWY 26; I've almost always flown the ILS 8 into Fairchild, so I somewhat found this odd. Anyway, at about 2,000 ft I spotted the VASI lights, and started my long slow crab to the threshold. Now....a Cub, landing at about 50 MPH into a 20 KT wind was quite the experiance. I swear, as I crossed the numbers, I felt like a kite, and at one point didn't even know if I was actually going forward, or simply hovering above the runway :icon_lol:

I finally had to force the issue, and had to practically 'push' the darn thing down into the asphalt......2.5 hours after I had left Bremerton! This thing ain't fast, you can hardly land it in a stiff headwind, but boy is it fun, and the new PNW scenery was incredible along the way with the window open. I left that whiny passenger home.....thank God :censored:

:mixedsmi:

pilottj
August 22nd, 2010, 20:10
yeah Urs is a great painter, I have is Roadrunner and Fast Joe's paints. Love the beat up interior he did. Also have some of his paints for the RealAir Scout.

I took the Cub to Lukla, Nepal and tried to take off and land with a 30 kt quartering headwind takingoff down hill, took off in a hurry lol, found it was actually easier to land downhil lol.

bkeske
August 22nd, 2010, 20:32
Ah yes, Urs' Scout paints are also very nice, but he really seemed to crank it up a notch on his Cub paints. I was flying the venerable Fast Joe's repaint today. When I get up to Alaska, I'm sure I'll try out his tundra tire models, complete with mud spattered on the aircraft and tires.

.......30 KTS.....If I had hit that today, I might be still floating above the runway :icon_lol:. You are correct though, with all the hours I've put in the Scout at various locations....like Norway around the fjords in the dead of winter...I'm sure I've taken off and landed in similar, but the Scout seems to want to drop like a rock at critical stall speed...for whatever reason, the Cub simply did not seem to want to 'stall and drop' even though I had pulled the power completely off. For a second I thought 'could this actually be happening? I think I'm floating at a standstill'. Obviously I wasn't, but it sure felt that way.

....now that I think about it, I need to pull that Scout out of the hanger.