PDA

View Full Version : Irans new bomber drone

centuryseries
August 22nd, 2010, 07:43
Just saw this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11052023

Strikes me that 620 mile range is a tad exadgerated......especially if its carrying bombs?

Toastmaker
August 22nd, 2010, 07:59
The Iranains are masters of bluster and bull****. The real state of their military is very different than what they try to portray.

:running:

djscoo
August 22nd, 2010, 09:14
Looks like a V-1

Dain Arns
August 22nd, 2010, 09:26
Speaking to a group of officials, Ahmadinejad said, "The jet, as well as being an ambassador of death for the enemies of humanity, has a main message of peace and friendship."

Yeah, riiiight. :rolleyes: :icon_lol:

brad kaste
August 22nd, 2010, 09:48
....Resembles something out of the old Flash Gordon mini-series,...but I'm sure it's effective within it's intended purposes.

Terry
August 22nd, 2010, 10:25
I think I had that as a toy about 58 years ago. Might of been Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers. :bump:

Sundog
August 22nd, 2010, 10:45
It reminds of a Firebee, or another of the T-D drones. Of course, my thinking on this is, how many satellites do they have to bounce a signal off of for controlling it over the horizon? It could possibly be a threat to camp sites around the Persian Gulf that don't have RADAR coverage. But that's about it. Whether or not it even has the accuracy to deliver it's munitions on such a site is another problem entirely.

deathfromafar
August 22nd, 2010, 11:17
Judging from the accuracy of known successful over the horizon missile shots they have made with several different systems, I have no doubt that this new drone could be very effective within obvious limitations but my question is that how resistant/resilient their control datalinks are to multi-spectral jamming techniques? I'd have to lean heavily against their ability to wage war against an enemy who possesses high end electronic warfare capability. As far as the threat this drone poses? Against unarmed/unprotected targets in the Gulf area it could be a big problem. I would characterize this weapon system as a one way trip-disposable system.

Allen
August 22nd, 2010, 11:21
Looks like a V-1

Came here to say this.

/Leaves satisfied.

Edited with pic goodness.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48825000/jpg/_48825046_48825047.jpg

http://www.wernerfrueh.de/800px-Peenem_Museum_V1_Modell.jpg

Snuffy
August 22nd, 2010, 13:41
Be assured, if its real, It'll do what its intended to do ... regardless of what we think of it.

CADFather
August 22nd, 2010, 13:55
It looks as though Iran has found a solution to that pesky little problem of what to do with your spent nuke fuel. Since their reactor just came on line, how long does the world have before they have to dispose of some of it? I know it's not weapons grade plutonium but a conventional charged air burst spreading spent nuclear fuel over a populated area like Tel Aviv, or some such city, could be devastating to the folks living there and in the surrounding areas.

And just like the comparison to the V1, how well would electronics jamming work against one of those, since they were a purely mechanical device without outside guidance? And just like the V1 they don't have to be accurate as long as it's a target the size of England, with a bullseye the size of London, you are a crack shot with terror weapons. It'd be fairly easy to take one down with modern missile tech, sure, but what if he is building thousands of them and where would it be safe to destroy them over?

The announcement of this new weapon on the heels of his getting nuclear energy up and running is just a little too well timed, if you ask me. I pray that I am wrong and that he only wants peace in the middle east, but I'm pretty well sure that I'm not.

Navy Chief
August 22nd, 2010, 14:09
Things are heating up in that region. Me thinks Iran is going to get spanked soon. Maybe sooner than later.

NC

Toastmaker
August 22nd, 2010, 14:35
It looks as though Iran has found a solution to that pesky little problem of what to do with your spent nuke fuel. Since their reactor just came on line, how long does the world have before they have to dispose of some of it? I know it's not weapons grade plutonium but a conventional charged air burst spreading spent nuclear fuel over a populated area like Tel Aviv, or some such city, could be devastating to the folks living there and in the surrounding areas.

And just like the comparison to the V1, how well would electronics jamming work against one of those, since they were a purely mechanical device without outside guidance? And just like the V1 they don't have to be accurate as long as it's a target the size of England, with a bullseye the size of London, you are a crack shot with terror weapons. It'd be fairly easy to take one down with modern missile tech, sure, but what if he is building thousands of them and where would it be safe to destroy them over?

The announcement of this new weapon on the heels of his getting nuclear energy up and running is just a little too well timed, if you ask me. I pray that I am wrong and that he only wants peace in the middle east, but I'm pretty well sure that I'm not.

Supposedly, and according to the IAEA and the Russians, all spent fuel rods go back to Russia. Lots of people are not inclined to trust the Russians. I can't imagine why !

:running:

Lionheart
August 22nd, 2010, 14:39
That drone made me laugh. I read about this this morning in the BBC website. Love the wrinkled blue sky cloth background and the fake rocks. Also, the goofy phrases given it by their leader, such as 'messenger of death' and a thing of peace.

heh...

I doubt that thing could fly. Also, that weapon under it looks pretty heavy unless its a fake bomb made of styrofoam. I doubt it would get off the ground with all that weight and such small wings.

What loons will come up with.. amazing.