PDA

View Full Version : JetCam Video: ILS Approach

Bone
August 19th, 2010, 20:36
Here's another one. This is the First Officer flying an ILS approach to rwy 5 at Norfolk, Virginia (KORF). I was doing all the secretarial work like talking on the radio, flipping switch's, flaps, gear, ect.. It's a bit long and boring, but the clouds are kind of cool, and you can get an idea of what it's like.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/FlightVideos/th_FOILSApproachtoKORF.jpg (http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/FlightVideos/?action=view&current=FOILSApproachtoKORF.mp4)

TARPSBird
August 19th, 2010, 21:15
Bone, my house is about 3/4 mile off at your 9 o'clock, just before you get to the field perimeter on the Rwy 05 approach. Welcome to Norfolk! :)

luckydog
August 19th, 2010, 21:46
:applause::applause::applause:

Excellent stuff, Bone !!! Keep'em coming !

A few questions:

are you using that sunglass/video cam you picked up recently ( if so, I'm gettin' one for sure )?

I think I remember something about a CRJ ( 700 ? ). Is that what you're flying ?

Don't mean to be nosey......

LD

TomSteber
August 20th, 2010, 01:52
Very cool!

txnetcop
August 20th, 2010, 02:57
Long but not boring...thanks Bone
Ted

jmig
August 20th, 2010, 03:27
Another awesome video Bone. Thanks for the lookie peek.

Bjoern
August 20th, 2010, 04:21
Those procedures look so eerily familiar...:d

(In the virtual CRJ, I usually light up the landing lights way before gear extension though. Without the taxi lights.)

Bone
August 20th, 2010, 04:30
A few questions:

are you using that sunglass/video cam you picked up recently ( if so, I'm gettin' one for sure )?

I think I remember something about a CRJ ( 700 ? ). Is that what you're flying ?

Don't mean to be nosey......

LD

Thanks all. Glad you didn't get bored.

And yes luckydog, I'm using the video glasses, they're called I-Kam's. The plane in this video is a CRJ-700, and the other video with the Atlanta and Nassua clips is in a CRJ-900. Some days I'm in a 900, others I'm in a 700, and other days I fly both.

Bone
August 20th, 2010, 04:35
Those procedures look so eerily familiar...:d

(In the virtual CRJ, I usually light up the landing lights way before gear extension though. Without the taxi lights.)

When descending through 18,000 we turn the taxi /recog lights on. They're in the wing root. The problem with turning on the landing lights with the gear up, is that some of the lights are on the nose gear strut, and so you're just illuminating the nose wheel well.

kilo delta
August 20th, 2010, 04:38
and other days I fly both.

At the same time? Now that IS mulitasking!!! ;) :d

The cam glasses can be got on Dealxtreme for small money,LD....even the ickle keyfob cams can produce similar results (providing there's adequate lighting).

Bjoern
August 20th, 2010, 04:53
When descending through 18,000 we turn the taxi /recog lights on. They're in the wing root. The problem with turning on the landing lights with the gear up, is that some of the lights are on the nose gear strut, and so you're just illuminating the nose wheel well.

Oh, 18000 already? :eek:

Yeah, the taxi lights are usually on the nose gear.
It would be cool if they had a contact switch so you could basically arm them before gear extension. When the gear would be near fully extended, the switch would trip and the taxi lights would come on.
(At least that's what I've implemented into my model to prevent the taxi light system from acting stupidly upon retraction.)

So you usually land with both lights active?

Hm, I was wondering why the Do328s do that. I've blamed it on the light configuration of the aircraft...don't ask me why.

Bone
August 20th, 2010, 05:28
Oh, 18000 already? :eek:

Yeah, the taxi lights are usually on the nose gear.
It would be cool if they had a contact switch so you could basically arm them before gear extension. When the gear would be near fully extended, the switch would trip and the taxi lights would come on.
(At least that's what I've implemented into my model to prevent the taxi light system from acting stupidly upon retraction.)

So you usually land with both lights active?

Hm, I was wondering why the Do328s do that. I've blamed it on the light configuration of the aircraft...don't ask me why.

Yeah, most airlines (and jets for that matter) I know of turn a light on as they descend through 18,000, because you never know who is out there VFR at 17,900 and below. At night, if you live near a busy airline hub, you can see the string of lighted planes that pretty much depict the arrival routes as far out as the eye can see.

All the lights are on after the gear goes down, it doesn't matter if it's night or day.

SEE AND BE SEEN!

Bjoern
August 20th, 2010, 05:40
Yeah, most airlines (and jets for that matter) I know of turn a light on as they descend through 18,000, because you never know who is out there VFR at 17,900 and below.

Hm. Might be slightly different practice here in the EU.

All the lights are on after the gear goes down, it doesn't matter if it's night or day.

So it's always land + taxi then. Good to know.

SEE AND BE SEEN!

PAINT YOUR AIRCRAFT BRIGHT PINK! :d

Bone
August 20th, 2010, 06:16
Hm. Might be slightly different practice here in the EU.

So it's always land + taxi then. Good to know.

PAINT YOUR AIRCRAFT BRIGHT PINK! :d

Uh, yeah, I'm talking about North American ops. Part of the after landing checklist is turning off lights you don't need.

Bjoern
August 20th, 2010, 13:06
Part of the after landing checklist is turning off lights you don't need.

Rwy turnoff, landing, strobe, logo?

Bone
August 20th, 2010, 14:06
Rwy turnoff, landing, strobe, logo?

During the day the navigation lights and rotating beacon stays on after landing. At night it's the same ones plus taxi lights.