PDA

View Full Version : JetCam Video: Two quick and dirty's

Bone
August 19th, 2010, 18:04
These are kinda rough. My video glasses don't really perform like I would like, but oh well. The first one is a takeoff from Atlanta, Georgia (KATL) on rwy 9L, and the second is a landing in Nassua, Bahamas (MYNN) on rwy 14.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/FlightVideos/th_KATLTakeOff.jpg (http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/FlightVideos/?action=view&current=KATLTakeOff.mp4)

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/FlightVideos/th_ApproachtoNassuaBahamas.jpg (http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/FlightVideos/?action=view&current=ApproachtoNassuaBahamas.mp4)

BOOM
August 19th, 2010, 18:30
Luv it!!! The landing is incredible!!!!:jump:

tpet
August 19th, 2010, 18:54
Nice, Thanks for sharing...

Wing_Z
August 19th, 2010, 19:08
Very very cool...boy that thing scampers away from rest!
And was that applause, just after touchdown? ;)

Bone
August 19th, 2010, 19:19
Thanks guys. And Wing Z, even though I have had the passengers clap and applaud during landings before, what you most likely heard was the thrust reversers doing their thing.

Wing_Z
August 19th, 2010, 19:32
Very modest, this pilot...

Interesting interference with the instruments/camera refresh.
Wonder why it improves, out of the sunlight?

Lionheart
August 19th, 2010, 20:32
Very nice landing! Smoooooooth.

Thanks for sharing, Bone. Good movies.

kilo delta
August 20th, 2010, 02:13
I enjoyed that...thanks for sharing,Bone! :)

hey_moe
August 20th, 2010, 02:26
B, that is something to watch. I watched each one twice. :ernae::ernae:

txnetcop
August 20th, 2010, 03:16
Hey Bone these take me back when I was first learning to fly. I was working as a contractor for the DOD after I came out of service. I had buddy that was a courier for the Navy and he would fly down to Chase Field in Beeville and pick me up in his T-39 Sabreliner and take me to NAS Meridian in Mississippi with him sometimes. That baby would climb like a homesick angel. Your cam shots sure bring back some great times.
Ted

jmig
August 20th, 2010, 03:19
Hey Bone, You must be using TrackIR. Nice panning.

Man FSX is looking so darn real. Let X-Plane do that.

;)

Loved the view into your office. It is nice to see what goes on behind the locked doors. Thanks for sharing. :salute:

Bjoern
August 20th, 2010, 04:15
No calls for v-speeds in the first one?

And you did apply reverse thrust quite shortly in number two, didn't you?

Bone
August 20th, 2010, 04:57
Hey Bone these take me back when I was first learning to fly. I was working as a contractor for the DOD after I came out of service. I had buddy that was a courier for the Navy and he would fly down to Chase Field in Beeville and pick me up in his T-39 Sabreliner and take me to NAS Meridian in Mississippi with him sometimes. That baby would climb like a homesick angel. Your cam shots sure bring back some great times.
Ted

That's a treat when you're working on your ratings. My dad flew the T-39 for awhile when he was in the AF. He went from flying bombers to the T-39, and he loved it.

Hey Bone, You must be using TrackIR. Nice panning.

Man FSX is looking so darn real. Let X-Plane do that.

;)

Loved the view into your office. It is nice to see what goes on behind the locked doors. Thanks for sharing. :salute:

LOL. Yeah that large HDTV is realling something. Have you got yours yet?

No calls for v-speeds in the first one?

And you did apply reverse thrust quite shortly in number two, didn't you?

The FO was calling out the V-speeds on the intercom. The video glasses was just picking up ambient sound, so you weren't hearing what I was with my headsets. I did have the external speaker on, but the volume for it was low. I turned the volume up for the Nassua clip.

We normally deploy the reversers just after the ground spoilers auto-deploy. We fly into alot busy places with minimum intervals between landing planes, so the drill is to get off the runway as soon as possible...something that GA pilots don't get, and we end up having to go around sometimes because they're just coasting down the runway taking their time.

Bjoern
August 20th, 2010, 05:15
The FO was calling out the V-speeds on the intercom. The video glasses was just picking up ambient sound, so you weren't hearing what I was with my headsets. I did have the external speaker on, but the volume for it was low. I turned the volume up for the Nassua clip.

Ah.

We normally deploy the reversers just after the ground spoilers auto-deploy. We fly into alot busy places with minimum intervals between landing planes, so the drill is to get off the runway as soon as possible...something that GA pilots don't get, and we end up having to go around sometimes because they're just coasting down the runway taking their time.

Sounds like harsh words and bloody noses should the airliner guy ever meet that GA guy...

Bone
August 20th, 2010, 05:50
Ah.

Sounds like harsh words and bloody noses should the airliner guy ever meet that GA guy...

At busy airports with high density airline traffic, ATC will normally tell the GA pilot to plan on minimum time on the runway, and most do it after they're told that. But, they don't do it on their own as a matter of course, because they want to get as much life out of their brakes as they can. Many flight departments are on a tight budget, so that's what they're concerned with.

But, go arounds at airports like New York, Atlanta, Chicago, ect, screw up alot of things, and aren't cheap. A little added brake wear is nothing compared to the fuel and extra wear and tear of a go around, and ATC vectoring alot of other planes around to fit you back into the sequence costs more money for everyone...it's kind of like falling domino's. Alot of GA pilots don't realize that.

I had to go around in Atlanta last week because a Citation X took his time, even with the controller fussing at him to get off the runway. He smarted off to the controller, and was given the dreaded phone number to call. Oh well.

falcon409
August 20th, 2010, 09:02
Great stuff Bone, what type aircraft are you flying?:salute:

Bone
August 20th, 2010, 10:32
Great stuff Bone, what type aircraft are you flying?:salute:

Thanks Ed, it's a CRJ-900

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/Copyof1482475-1.jpg

Bjoern
August 20th, 2010, 13:10
He smarted off to the controller, and was given the dreaded phone number to call. Oh well.

FAA? Airport manager?

Bone
August 20th, 2010, 13:55
FAA? Airport manager?

The ATL tower supervisor...FAA.

mfitch
August 20th, 2010, 22:41
I find it interesting to hear your side of the commercial and recreational (GA) pilot mix.

I am about 5 hours short of my private license. If I am told to expedite a take-off or do a short approach, I decline and wait. If they request that I exit the runway rapidly, I ignore them, because I do not have sufficient skill to do that without causing an accident (repeat, I am still not licensed). Of course a few turbo props and some twins (reciprocating) are the fastest planes here, and there are at least four flight schools. I do appreciate the experience of training at a towered airport where being one of 8 people in line to land as the tower controller spits clearances rapid fire is quite common. We are not encouraged to do sloppy landings.

The main commercial operator is staffed by very friendly pilots who request the crosswind runway and do what they can to stay out of the way.

dominique
August 20th, 2010, 23:43
Thanks for sharing, appreciated :) !

In Atlanta, at what altitude do you startup the autopilot ?It seems that you handfly most of the climb.

mrogers
August 20th, 2010, 23:56
The best office in the world...awesome movies, thanks Bones!!

Bone
August 21st, 2010, 07:06
Thanks for sharing, appreciated :) !

In Atlanta, at what altitude do you startup the autopilot ?It seems that you handfly most of the climb.

I like to fly, so I usually handfly at least to the 10,000 to 15,000 range before turning on the AP. It really depends on where I'm at, the weather, and the complexity of the departure procedure (SID), ect...sometimes I'll turn it on at 1000 feet. On the descent, if I'm going into an area where there's a complex arrival procedure (STAR), I'll leave it on until I'm on the localiser. If it's going to be a CAT II ILS approach, the AP stays on until 80 to 100 feet...that's required. For places where there's no STAR, I'll click off the AP around 10,000 to 8,000 feet, depending on my mood and how many legs I've already done that day. When I'm in the Caribbean I hand fly alot, because flying over water is really cool to me.

Bone
August 21st, 2010, 08:07
I find it interesting to hear your side of the commercial and recreational (GA) pilot mix.

I am about 5 hours short of my private license. If I am told to expedite a take-off or do a short approach, I decline and wait. If they request that I exit the runway rapidly, I ignore them, because I do not have sufficient skill to do that without causing an accident (repeat, I am still not licensed). Of course a few turbo props and some twins (reciprocating) are the fastest planes here, and there are at least four flight schools. I do appreciate the experience of training at a towered airport where being one of 8 people in line to land as the tower controller spits clearances rapid fire is quite common. We are not encouraged to do sloppy landings.

The main commercial operator is staffed by very friendly pilots who request the crosswind runway and do what they can to stay out of the way.

No one wants you to bend a plane, and of course, you have to stay within your personal limitations and say "unable" when asked to do something that you can't do safely. However, your airport and situation is alot different than what I was refering too.

Not being ABLE to do something is OK! But, being given a heads up on something that any pro pilot is capable of doing (to fit within the scope of the way the airport operates) and then ignoring the request is totally different.

mfitch
August 21st, 2010, 20:47
However, your airport and situation is alot different than what I was refering too.

This is something for which I am grateful (not having jets in sequence with us). Thanks for the comments: I'll take all the instruction I can get right now. While I will only fly for personal enjoyment, I do hope to become far more precise. Even on a lazy day I don't see any reason to stay on the runway longer than necessary.

Thanks for the videos. My own (helmet camera I used some for recording my training) are apparently so boring, my wife is currently ignoring the one we are playing right now. (In fairness much of the terrain is rather similar.)