PDA

View Full Version : What type of TV commercials are you sick of seeing

hey_moe
August 19th, 2010, 02:53
Out of all the TV commercials I see, I can't stand all these lawyer ones. Drives me nuts to see the same one at prime time over and over again. In second place is how much money a car dealership can save you. The lawyer ones are nothing more than sue happy lawyers. 1-800-HURT-LINE. They are only interested in injury customers to where they can sue insurance companies...it discuss me.

dominique
August 19th, 2010, 02:56
Any...

jankees
August 19th, 2010, 03:04
I hate all commercials, so I hardly watch TV

Terry
August 19th, 2010, 03:14
Currently it's the guy beating on the inside of a truck bed. It always requires muting and some cursing.

Crusader
August 19th, 2010, 03:17
Most of them but GIECO comes to mind along with Progressive Insurance .

jmig
August 19th, 2010, 03:21
I like the little Gecko. :) I do not like commercials who make men or women look helpless and stupid.

Dain Arns
August 19th, 2010, 03:23
Any...

Ditto.

I am especially tired of the medication ads that make your life "oh so much better", then have to take 2 minutes to list the side effects... :icon_lol:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uv6Rz7yvXr8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uv6Rz7yvXr8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Snuffy
August 19th, 2010, 03:41
I find the marketing ploy of medicine manufacturers very distasteful.

These people, (drug manufacturers,) rather than marketing to the professionals of the medical field, (doctors generally,) feel that they have to play on the weaknesses of the average person, many who are unfortunately hypochondriacs, to sell their product(s).

To advertise a particular pharmaceutical as the "cure all" for whatever the disease of the moment is, is socially irresponsible, not to mention medically errant.

People have no right; let me restate that, they have a right to do what they want, but logic defies a patient to tell a doctor to prescribe them a particular medication because they "self examined" themselves based on information a commercial from a pharmaceutical manufacturer showed on television, or placed in a magazine.

People who take the time to educate themselves at great expense to serve the community of mankind as doctors, are being, usurped by pharmaceutical manufacturers selling medications to the uneducated public.

Not to mention that the drug being advertised as a "cure", could cause more physical harm and ailments to the person trying to treat just one symptom. The list of some "side effects" is truly frightening with some of these drugs.

Medicine and its application, is best left to those educated to prescribe it, and not to the public to decide they want to use it.

Navy Chief
August 19th, 2010, 03:48
I cannot handle watching ANY commercials now. I quit watching TV months ago. All I watch now is netflix.

I do plan to build a DVR soon, and then I'll be able to record programs, and FAST FORWARD through all those da...n commericals.

NC

Bjoern
August 19th, 2010, 10:53
What's TV? ;P

brad kaste
August 19th, 2010, 10:55
Most of them but GIECO comes to mind along with Progressive Insurance .

......I'll ditto that!.............

Rami
August 19th, 2010, 11:17
I have my hit list...(In no particular order)

1) GEICO
2) Progressive
3) Bernie and Phyl's (A Boston-area furniture store)
4) Verison FIOS / Comcast (DSL Vs Cable)
5) 1-877-Cash-Now
6) Anything involving Cash-for-Gold
7) Bob's discount furniture (Another Boston-based commercial)
8) Lamosil and Mucinex with those creepy fungi / lung butter animated characters
9) Dr. Scholl's gel inserts. (No, I'm not gellin'!)
10) Free credit report dot com

AND ANY COMMERCIAL THAT BOOSTS UP THE VOLUME TO GET YOUR ATTENTION!!!!

David_L6
August 19th, 2010, 11:32
Vonage! I hate their commercials so much that there is NO WAY I will ever give them any business.

TARPSBird
August 19th, 2010, 11:39
Hey_Moe, you mentioned personal injury lawyers. Lowell "The Hammer" Stanley has been a customer in the Barnes & Noble where I work in VB. Very polite and cordial guy, nothing like his commercials.
Here are the ones I hate, in no particular order:
Progressive Insurance with the overly perky sales girl
GEICO with the cavemen (not funny anymore)
All medicine commercials, especially the ones for erectile dysfunction meds
Fast-food commercials targeting specific ethnic groups

Henry
August 19th, 2010, 11:43
bankruptcy lawyers we have a bunch here
and i hate them
H

luckydog
August 19th, 2010, 11:59
The car insurance commercial with some dork running around with a blue phone on his belt....

Lionheart
August 19th, 2010, 11:59
The Lawyers look scary. Some look like they are evil, and some look like actors that dont care about people or the like.

Also the medications commercials with all the grim side effects are more like skits from Saturday Night Live; left side goes numb, memory loss, lack of sleep, falling asleep while driving, damage to kidneys, stomach, hair loss, fatique, extreme depression, suicidal tendencies, neurosis, lung damage, stops your heart, stops your mind, stops hair growth, unable to have children, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.... SCARY!!!!

But! Geico is cool! Love that lady actress and the little lizard.

So, is he Australian or a Zealander???

EDIT:

The car insurance commercial with some dork running around with a blue phone on his belt....

Luckydog

eeeks! Hate that....

Bill

awj112
August 19th, 2010, 12:12
The Military Channel's "WW II Summer Salute" spot. That decaying horse is long since dead. I get it, I like the idea but I am so sick of grandpa staring off into the distance...

Any ED commercial

Oh, and any McDonalds commercial.

Gdavis101
August 19th, 2010, 12:24
Verizon is at the top of the list for me, with the VW commercials at a close second. No matter how good Verizon claims their cellphone service is it still doesn't work at my house! As for VW, I am tired of hearing about the Crouton, or Routon or what ever kind of Ton it is...

strega13
August 19th, 2010, 12:37
it is not the commercials i hate as much as the ridiculous and obnoxious amount of them and the fact that they interrupt shows and movies ( instead of having them between shows ) .

Cazzie
August 19th, 2010, 12:43
Anything that relates to car insurance or male enhancement, but in particular the bee-atch named Flo and that doofus with the blue phone. :violent:

Keep "Smilin' Bob" though, :d

Caz

NWarty
August 19th, 2010, 12:44
Am I the only one who thinks "Flo" the Progressive Insurance gal is hot? :mixedsmi:

strega13
August 19th, 2010, 12:48
Am I the only one who thinks "Flo" the Progressive Insurance gal is hot? :mixedsmi:
i wouldn't say hot but that whole "peppy" attitude of hers makes her very attractive to me .

Dangerousdave26
August 19th, 2010, 12:49
WEEEEEE!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

WWEEEEEE!!!!!!

Wing_Z
August 19th, 2010, 12:51
Get a PVR:
The hour-long news programme becomes a pleasure, over in about 20 minutes.
Get the headlines...skip the ads drek, jump to the meat, skip the ads and the second headline repetition...get the sport (skip the women's soccer semis)...get the weather Big Picture, skip the other regions, get your detailed forecast...all done, no aggro.
Best investment ever...
Only downside is you can't actually take part in those conversations about What Ad Irritates You Most :d

OBIO
August 19th, 2010, 13:09

I kind of like her semi-50s, dorkish nerd girl look.

I got tired of commercials period. Too many of them, too loud. And since there really wasn't anything on TV good enough to subject myself to all those commercials to watch, I dumped cable TV and went to Netflix. No commercials, I get to watch what I want, when I want, and as often as I want. On my computer, on the wife's laptop or on the 42inch HDTV through the Wii. All that viewing pleasure for $9.69 a month ($8.99 plus 70 cents tax). A great bargain when compared to the $74 a month we were paying for cable. 1/7th the price, 700 times the enjoyment.

OBIO

mfitch
August 19th, 2010, 13:10
Having a DVR is definitely a plus. I especially enjoy the extra 15 minutes per hour (1 hour show has 15 minutes of commercials).

When, for some silly reason, I watch live tv there are two categories of annoying commercials for me: inherently annoying and played too many times. Inherently annoying include Cash for Gold (shouting at people dumb enough to not check other buyers), "I need cash now" (how many people are suckered into this immediate gratification which comes with a huge cost). The "they were funny the first time, but not the 50th" list includes Geico and Zappos.

mfitch
August 19th, 2010, 13:11
I forgot one category. Those popup ads that networks use to tell you what show is coming up next. Please! I would like to actually see the show I am watching now, stop covering up important parts of the screen.

Bone
August 19th, 2010, 13:13
I don't watch much TV, but the few things I do watch I record with my DVR, then FF through the commercials. So I Guess they all bug me.

And that Tim Hawkins video was a hoot!

Collin
August 19th, 2010, 15:05
Thank gawd for the BBC:icon29::icon29::unitedkingdom:

regards Collin:ernae:

johnh_049
August 19th, 2010, 15:10
WEEEEEE!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

WWEEEEEE!!!!!!

LOL! if that piggy was weeweeing in the back seat of my car, he'd be bacon tomorrow...

David_L6
August 19th, 2010, 15:10
I dumped cable TV and went to Netflix. No commercials, I get to watch what I want, when I want, and as often as I want. On my computer, on the wife's laptop or on the 42inch HDTV through the Wii. All that viewing pleasure for $9.69 a month ($8.99 plus 70 cents tax). A great bargain when compared to the $74 a month we were paying for cable. 1/7th the price, 700 times the enjoyment.

OBIO

I am going to check into that! Thanks for that info.

HighGround22
August 19th, 2010, 15:13
. . . I do not like commercials who make men or women look helpless and stupid.Ditto, with bells on.

But I must say that I can't help noticing the super-abundance of what I call "stupid-man commercials". Somebody of one gender has to be the idiot, while the other shows them "the way to righteousness".

And since showing a stupid female would incur the wrath of all sorts of anti-whatever groups, they always seem to opt for the stupid man, since men won't say anything in response -- possibly out of fear or just plain apathy.

So the man and the boy stare helplessly at the toilet until the wise woman changes the toilet paper roll for them.

Sigh!

johnh_049
August 19th, 2010, 15:14
The ones that really annoy me (make me want to throw something through the TV ) are the 2 weirdos on the sonic commercials... poster boys for abortion, if you ask me...:173go1:

HighGround22
August 19th, 2010, 15:21
Thank gawd for the BBC:icon29::icon29::unitedkingdom:Ah, The BEEB! Here in the Northern Colonies, of course, we have the CEEB! :sleep:

Just remembered my pet commercial hate: Any ad with Billy Mays in it, hollering his fur-face off and grinning like a dog that ate too much s...! I hear he died, but that didn't keep his horrible commercials off TV, did it!?!

brad kaste
August 19th, 2010, 15:48
....I'd like to think,..(but not 100% positive on this),....that I never, ever was influenced by any sleaze-ball, dorky, inane, silly, grating, and asinine commercial of ANY KIND since I've been watching TV. And boy,...that's been a long time.

TeaSea
August 19th, 2010, 16:02
I do not like "negative" political adds. From any party.

I do however, love the ability to make and show such ads.

And thank goodness I don't pay a tax on every TV I own.:guinness: :unitedstates:

(Sorry Collin, couldn't resist)

Willy
August 19th, 2010, 16:18
Don't watch much TV, but what I do watch I record on the DVR and come back to it later. The commercials get fast forwarded that way.

WarHorse47
August 19th, 2010, 17:09
I hate the subliminal ones such as what happens during the local news.

"BREAKING NEWS, a plane was intercepted by two F-15's in Seattle for violating air space during the President's visit. More details at 6:00.."

I don't want more details. I want the whole story NOW. I do not want to tune in at 6:00 pm or 11:00 pm. They just want to sucker me back to watch THEIR news, and not some other channel.

Gosh, I feel better now. :jump:

--WH

demorier
August 19th, 2010, 17:20
We have a federal election coming up tomorrow in Oz.....the last month we have been barraged with political news and advertising....I just hate this mass media ad's and coverage of the campain trail.

b52bob
August 19th, 2010, 20:15
The ones I really hate and have a hard time understanding: "Owe over $10,000 to the IRS? Get the relief you deserve now!"

They acually deserve jail time.

Allen
August 19th, 2010, 20:38
*1) Political adds When they are running. Meg has been running her ads in CA since Jan. non-stop...
1) GEICO
2) All medicine commercials, especially the ones for erectile dysfunction
3) Free credit report dot com
4) Anything involving Lawyers
5) Anything involving Gold

wombat666
August 19th, 2010, 20:44
All of them!!
And the marketing weenies who think they work!
:a1451:

pilottj
August 19th, 2010, 23:05
lol makes you wish Billy Mays was still around eh? :icon_lol: As annoying as he was I actually respected him a little for his energy and passion.

hey_moe
August 20th, 2010, 02:38
After reading some of the stuff others had brought up, I have a problem with those commercials too. One more thing that just drives me way nuts. At the last thirty minutes of a program or a movie, they go ballistic and start cramming a commercial every couple of minutes to a point you loose all interest in the program or movie. I understand that stations need this to support their business but sometimes I feel they go way overboard....lol....Mike

brad kaste
August 20th, 2010, 05:17
...I've been a supporter of the local PBS station for some time. Quality programs with no commercials,...other than it's annual drives to raise money. Fine. Then I found out that the president/ceo of the local PBS makes in access of $400,000+ salary wise! To me that's way off base. Way off.
When they sent me a solicitation letter recently,....I wrote back on it what I thought of their boss's yearly income,...and kindly told them to take me off their 'givers' list.

rpjkw
August 20th, 2010, 07:08
I hate ALL commercials! I keep the remote close at hand and click mute when one comes on. Cable, of course, is the worst. I gave up listening to talk radio because there are no visual clues when the ad is over.

Bob

n4gix
August 20th, 2010, 09:49
But! Geico is cool! Love that lady actress and the little lizard.

So, is he Australian or a Zealander???

...actually, he's from Brooklyn! :ernae:

I don't actually know of course... :)

Navy Chief
August 20th, 2010, 14:42
i wouldn't say hot but that whole "peppy" attitude of hers makes her very attractive to me .

I am waiting to see how long it takes for her to break into mainstream movies/sitcoms.....

TeaSea
August 20th, 2010, 15:39
What I really do hate about commercials on TV is that they are LOUDER than the normal programming.

I find that immensely annoying.

AckAck
August 20th, 2010, 17:59
I am waiting to see how long it takes for her to break into mainstream movies/sitcoms.....

Around -12 years or so... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0183960/

Blackbird686
August 21st, 2010, 11:27
All of them!!
And the marketing weenies who think they work!
:a1451:

Couldn't have said it better...

BB686:USA-flag:

aeronca1
August 21st, 2010, 13:56
The absolute best feature for future TV's would be a "Blank All Commercials" option.