PDA

View Full Version : Where I've been for a few days.....

Navy Chief
August 18th, 2010, 14:32
Drove up to South Fulton, TN to a friend's place, and we updated my computer system completely. The original setup was done in January 06, so it was time.

This thing is screamin' fast now:

Intel i7 CPO X 980 @ 3.33GHZ
8 GB of RAM, but will have 8 more in a couple days
Win7 operating system
ASUS 5870 video card (Matrix)
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50

Finally, I can turn the settings up on FSX!

NC

kilo delta
August 19th, 2010, 07:07
Excellent system specs NC.:salute:

I hope you plan on overclocking that chip....4.5ghz should be easily,and safely,attainable. Why more RAM?...it'll never be needed. Are you running triple channel memory? It works best in multiples of 3..ie. 3gb,6gb up to 12gb.

:)

Navy Chief
August 19th, 2010, 07:10
Excellent system specs NC.:salute:

I hope you plan on overclocking that chip....4.5ghz should be easily,and safely,attainable. Why more RAM?...it'll never be needed. Are you running triple channel memory? It works best in multiples of 3..ie. 3gb,6gb up to 12gb.

:)

I have no clue how to overclock the chip. Just attempting it would make me nervous!

luckydog
August 19th, 2010, 09:54
Nice system !! Good to have ya back........I was starting to wonder....

Roadburner440
August 19th, 2010, 16:05
Those are some good specs Chief. Don't think you need to worry about overclocking it to much. I have the i7-950 overclocked to that same speed of your 980, and I run FSX just fine. I know I definately enjoyed the step up when I got my system. Hopefully you are able to get a lot of enjoyment from yours. I am sure you are flying the daylights out of that A-7.

kilo delta
August 20th, 2010, 02:06
I think that Ted (Txnetcop) had a thread on overclocking the i7's? Your chip is unlocked and is specifically designed to be overclocked...hence the price of them!:) You will see a marked improvement in frames in going from the standard 3.33ghz to 4ghz+ and it may be possible to achieve those figures without needing to put more voltage through the chip.

Navy Chief
August 20th, 2010, 04:46
I think that Ted (Txnetcop) had a thread on overclocking the i7's? Your chip is unlocked and is specifically designed to be overclocked...hence the price of them!:) You will see a marked improvement in frames in going from the standard 3.33ghz to 4ghz+ and it may be possible to achieve those figures without needing to put more voltage through the chip.

I'll try to find that thread. Thanks! NC