PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Flight - new flight sim!

DennyA
August 16th, 2010, 20:50
Microsoft announced a new flight sim at Gamescom in Germany today: Microsoft Flight

I started a topic over in Newshawks with links, since that seems to be the most appropriate place, but wanted to make a post here since this is where the active sim pilots seem to hang out. :)

Newshawks topic:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=41346

Prowler1111
August 16th, 2010, 21:10
The "windows live" at the end of the video might mean bad news for offline users..

Prowler

Tylerb59
August 16th, 2010, 21:29
http://jobs.volt.com/jobcart/job_details.cfm?JobID=263234

Software Design Engineer
C/C++ Programming/Debugging, Aviation/Aircraft

A Redmond-based Game Developer needs a Software Design Engineer to implement interactive virtual aircraft cockpits for an upcoming entertainment title. This position will primarily involve scripting and configuration of content, but understanding and debugging of C/C++ code will be necessary.
Responsibilities:

Implementing simulated LCD Avionics displays using a proprietary XML and Lua-based authoring system.
Implementing all the moving parts of a cockpit, including various knobs, dials, switches, gauges and other interface elements.
Debugging and sometimes modifying simulation C/C++ code that drives cockpit interfaces.
Adjusting or creating placeholder 2D and 3D art and animations to fit simulated behavior.
Working with both Artists and other Developers to bring art content and simulation code together into an interactive experience.

This is a contract position through Volt Workforce Solutions which is located in Redmond, Washington and a division of Volt Information Sciences, a Fortune 1000 publicly traded Staffing Industry Leader. We are among the largest IT staffing companies in the US for contract/temporary and direct hire placements and support most of the top rated IT companies in the Pacific Northwest.

Requirements:
Software Design Engineer Qualifications:

Demonstrated C/C++ Programming and Debugging experience
Passionate about Aviation and Aircraft
Relentless attention to detail

Preferred Skills:

Private pilot license or cockpit system experience
Photoshop or other Image Editing software
3D Studio Max (ability to inspect models and make modifications, not artistic ability)
Experience using and/or creating content for PC Flight Simulators
BS in an Engineering field

I wish I knew C++ right now! :)

Cag40Navy
August 16th, 2010, 21:46
All i hear is "Rut ro".

Gibbage
August 16th, 2010, 21:47
:jump::applause:

This will be interesting to watch. I got my big jumbo bag of popcorn ready!

fliger747
August 17th, 2010, 09:02
A main reason thta the FS series has maintained an active user base over many years is the open system allowing modifications and third party developers with no ties to MS.

I have not been a fan of Apple products because of their marketing methods and the fact they hold the whole sytem and applications so close to the vest. I should hope that MS does not proceede down this road.

Not a fan of online "games" or cloud based systems.

Cheers: T