PDA

View Full Version : FSX: Textures Question

OleBoy
August 16th, 2010, 20:01
I've been doing a lot of repainting here recently specifically for FSX. I have a question for all you guru type painters.

Here's a run-down of what I'm doing. (If there's a better way to get the textures out at a higher resolution/more crisp, please share as I want to do the best possible paints I can.)

From Adobe PS - saving to 32bit .bmp and into DXTBMP - Then saving as DDS-5. (Is there a better way?)

I've considered while in DXTBMP - Saving them to 32bit 888-8 with mips (I've no clue if it would work) I suppose I could try it and find out huh?
----
Considering the texture sizes are 2048x2048 they are super crisp and clear compared to paints for FS9 at 1024x1024 that I've done.
---
If someone could give a run down of the different DDS/no alpha and on up to 32bit/888-8 as to the procedures I should be following, I would appreciate it.

I hope I make some sense. I got so frustrated doing a repaint that I quit and mixed me a cocktail:ernae:

falcon409
August 16th, 2010, 20:26
I can only offer what I do and I don't consider myself to be even close to the level of most. I use Paint Shop Pro, textures are 4096x4096 saved directly out of PSP with a dds plugin, no mips. This is how all the T-33 HiRes textures I uploaded were done. If there's a plugin for Adobe, I would think eliminating that step of saving as a 32bit and then converting to dds in DXTbmp would retain your clarity.:salute:

rohan
August 16th, 2010, 20:36
NVidia DDS plug-ins for Photoshop -
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

Ro

Tako_Kichi
August 16th, 2010, 21:14
With the plug-in rohan recommended you can skip the DXTBmp step altogether and save from PS directly as a DDS (you can also open DDS files in PS too).

You will need to set up the DDS dialogue box for DXT5 and no mips though when you save your first paint, it will remember the settings from that point.

OleBoy
August 16th, 2010, 22:04
Do you realize how many mouse clicks you just saved me from doing?
....This sounds like the ticket!!

I'll try it for sure

Thanks heaps :ernae:

falcon409
August 16th, 2010, 22:10
. . . . .You will need to set up the DDS dialogue box for DXT5 and no mips though when you save your first paint, it will remember the settings from that point.
Hmmm, mine won't save the settings. Every time I go to convert in PSP I have to make sure all the "mips" settings are turned off, and no matter how many times in a session I do that, it never retains the settings. I can always tell if it missed it though cause the file size is way larger than it should be, lol.

stiz
August 16th, 2010, 22:37
Every time I go to convert in PSP

I might be wrong but i think the nvidia tools are written soley for Adobe Photoshop and not paint shop pro which would explain why it doesnt save the settings :engel016:

falcon409
August 16th, 2010, 22:42
I might be wrong but i think the nvidia tools are written soley for Adobe Photoshop and not paint shop pro which would explain why it doesnt save the settings
Works for me, thanks!

OleBoy
August 17th, 2010, 06:39
After installing the plug-in I learned something new. Prior to using it everything was fine. What causes this? Do I need to **** for the nVidia plug?

falcon409
August 17th, 2010, 06:46
Did you remember to "flip" your textures?

OleBoy
August 17th, 2010, 07:02
Did you remember to "flip" your textures?

I did nothing that wasn't already done through DXTBMP. That's what's odd. When I loaded the paint up in the sim last night everything was fine. The way I generally do my alpha layers is to pull them out with DXTBMP from an existing paint. That way I have them for later use so I can import them back in.
...I'm wondering if I need to add the alpha layer into the Photoshop layers and do it all at once so I don't have to mess with it each time. And I'm assuming I just solved the issue if I actually did do it that way.

Lead this horse to water Falcon :bump:

Bjoern
August 17th, 2010, 07:08
With the plug-in rohan recommended you can skip the DXTBmp step altogether and save from PS directly as a DDS (you can also open DDS files in PS too).

You will need to set up the DDS dialogue box for DXT5 and no mips though when you save your first paint, it will remember the settings from that point.

Don't forget to flip the texture horizontally before saving. At least that's what you have to do with the DDS plugin for GIMP.

...and I think that's what's causing your issue, OleBoy.

falcon409
August 17th, 2010, 07:09
I did nothing that wasn't already done through DXTBMP. That's what's odd. When I loaded the paint up in the sim last night everything was fine. The way I generally do my alpha layers is to pull them out with DXTBMP from an existing paint. That way I have them for later use so I can import them back in.
...I'm wondering if I need to add the alpha layer into the Photoshop layers and do it all at once so I don't have to mess with it each time. And I'm assuming I just solved the issue if I actually did do it that way.

Lead this horse to water Falcon :bump:
I honestly don't do a lot of DDS textures, but I can tell ya that what you show in your two pics is a texture that wasn't flipped before it was formatted. I do things bass ackwards compared to everybody else, lol, but what I do while in PSP is save the layered version, combine all the layers into a flattened image, flip and then save directly as a dds. I add the alpha in DXTbmp, but could probably save one step and include it in the dds compile as well. Of course make certain that the alpha gets flipped also.

OleBoy
August 17th, 2010, 07:14
That sounds like the issue, Bjoern. It was stated above to go through the motions as if using DXTBMP. Flipping the alpha and/or image does happen then. OOPS!!
....Thanks for the help.

Falcon, it sounds like you may have learned something here as well.
...Thanks for the help

falcon409
August 17th, 2010, 07:33
Glad I could help!:salute:

Tako_Kichi
August 17th, 2010, 08:42
Don't forget to flip the texture horizontally before saving. At least that's what you have to do with the DDS plugin for GIMP.

...and I think that's what's causing your issue, OleBoy.
Actually you need to flip the textures VERTICALLY before saving as DDS.

This is my process in PS OleBoy.....

1. Work on the paint in PS in various layers until I am happy with it.
2. Create a new layer at the top and paint it as an alpha layer.
3. Copy the finished alpha layer using the 'Select all' and 'Copy' commands and then go to the 'Channels' tab in the 'Layer' palette and create a new 'Channel'.
4. Rename the new channel to 'Alpha' and paste in the stuff from the 'alpha' layer in the 'Layers' tab. When you export the DDS the alpha channel will now go with it.
5. Return to the 'Layers' palette and turn off the 'alpha' layer by clicking the eyeball next to it.
6. This bit is really important....before you do anything else save as a .psd file. That way you can always get back to this point if you do anything wrong.
7. In the 'Layers' palette go to the pop out menu and select 'Flatten Image' which will collapse all the visible layers into a single one.
8. Go to the 'Image' menu item on the top bar and select 'Rate canvas/Flip canvas vertical'.
9. This bit is really important too....Do a 'Save As' (NOT a Save otherwise it will save as a .psd file again) and select DDS from the options (you did put the plug-in in place right?).
10. In the dialogue make sure DXT5 and no mips are selected and save.
11. Try the paint and rinse and repeat as necessary.

Bjoern
August 17th, 2010, 09:09
Actually you need to flip the textures VERTICALLY before saving as DDS.

Horizontally...vertically...all the same, lol. :d

(You're right.)