PDA

View Full Version : Sick computer

PRB
August 16th, 2010, 14:59
Ok, now my computer forgot how to boot itself. I tried to wake it up after it fell asleep and it wouldn't wake up. It had gone into a ^%$#@ coma, I guess. So I hard reboot, and it said "Press F1 to load BIOS defaults or press F2 go into setup." So I go into setup and it wants to boot off the secondary data drive, not the one with the OS on it. Also, it forgot how much memory I have. I actually have 8 GB of RAM, but it says I have only four. And there is no place to tell it I have 8. Does this sound like a motherboard battery?

stansdds
August 17th, 2010, 02:01
Could be a bad battery, but it could be a bad primary drive too or at least a corrupted primary drive.

PRB
August 20th, 2010, 13:42
Well, I reseated the memory cards, and that seems to have solved the memory issue. The system is reporting 8 GB of RAM again. I reseathed them in the course of troubleshooting the other problem, and maybe I screwed it up that time. Hope I did no permanent damage!

stansdds
August 22nd, 2010, 13:33
If you fired up the computer and the memory sticks are not fully seated, odds are they are ok.

harleyman
August 26th, 2010, 04:16
Have you gotten it to boot yet???

Can you get into safe mode ???

Maybe the Boot INI is corrupted....Or the drive itself

odd though how it lost the mem count and the boot together

Tells me it may be the mobo going south (bios)

PRB
August 26th, 2010, 13:37
Have you gotten it to boot yet???

Can you get into safe mode ???

Maybe the Boot INI is corrupted....Or the drive itself

odd though how it lost the mem count and the boot together

Tells me it may be the mobo going south (bios)

Yes, it's booting ok now. The reason it wasn't booting was that the boot sequence in the BIOS was out of wack, and it was trying to boot from what is my D: drive, which is only data. Why that would be the case all of a sudden is unknown. It booted fine just an hour previous to the failure. I went into the BIOS and fixed the boot sequence, and all was fine. Re-seating the memory cards fixed the memory size problem. So far so good...