PDA

View Full Version : Catapult Launch?

skylane
August 16th, 2010, 10:13
Hello!
Is there any modification available to enable catapult launches from the VN Repulse and Prince of Wales? If not, any hints what needs to be modified to make this work?
And what do I have to do to make a seaplane take off from a ship catapult?

Any help would be very welcome - thanks!

skylane

Bill Kestell
August 16th, 2010, 14:12
Which aircraft were you wanting to use? I have been delaying getting into this, but since I did the wake effect add-ons, I did plan to add the catapult effect to all the floatplanes as well. I might just as well start with what you want as just picking something/

Cheers, Billy:salute:

skylane
August 16th, 2010, 22:15
Hi Bill!

That would be Buddha13´s Supermarine Walrus.
I´m working on a few more missions in Malaya in 41/42, and one idea I have involves the Walrus from HMS Repulse.

TARPSBird
August 16th, 2010, 23:03
I'd like to know more about tweaking CFS2 planes to allow for catapult launch, either from a CV flight deck or from a battleship or cruiser. I have a HMS Rodney which can launch a Fairey Swordfish floatplane off its "C" turret using the W (War Emergency Power) key but I can't figure out how to do it on my own with other floatplanes.

gavinc
August 17th, 2010, 03:02
Hi
Just packed my game pc away for my impending move so I don't have all the details but ...

If I remember correctly it is a 2 stage job

You need to make sure that the ship you are using is configured as an aircraft carrier (set the object type correctly in the dp) and create a runway at the location of the catapult.
Install Greenghosts catapult gauge (one of his gauges has the ability to trigger a catapult launch using the WEP key) in the panel of the aircraft you want to launch.
Hope this gets you started.

Gavin

norab
August 17th, 2010, 03:27
maybe this could be adapted to your needs from simviation for CFS2

http://www.simviation.com/cfs2aircraft8.htm

This package includes the H.M.S. Rodney, modified to enable Catapult launches, and the Groundcrew Swordfish Floatplane. Read the documents to succesfully launch the Swordfish from the Rodney´s Tower C. Swordfish floatplane by Groundcrew Design Group visual model and panel.cfg by Mathias Pommerien Textures by Alessandro Biagi Flight Dynamics by Larry Vrooman H.M.S.Rodney by Dino Carancini and Mark Brown. 3.2MB

skylane
August 17th, 2010, 03:52
Thanks for the input.
I have the Rodney and the Swordfish floatplane. I´have a look, maybe I´ll get soewhere..

Jaxon
August 17th, 2010, 03:57
If I am right, also the *.airfile needs the entry for the WEP, incl. the additional thrust data.
(Much power, but only for short time and only once).
The gauge triggers this.

The WEP effect only works with piston engines, what should be no problem during WW2.

Bill Kestell
August 17th, 2010, 09:41
I started last evening ... should have things wrapped up by tonight?

There are only a few things you have to do ... not any more complicated than the wake effect install ... but I just want to make certain that I haven't overlooked anything ... you know how it goes!

I did however successfully cat launch a PBY ...now THAT'S A SIGHT!:jump:

alpha_1
August 17th, 2010, 10:17
Nice going, Bill keep it up! We need you. Thanks.:salute:

Fibber
August 17th, 2010, 11:53
Didn't Tango Romeo do a catapault lauch file for DBolts corsair? Maybe look at that file for some pointers. It is at Simviation here: http://www.simviation.com/simviation/index.php?type=item&ID=301&page=8

Maybe that will help

TARPSBird
August 17th, 2010, 16:50
I did however successfully cat launch a PBY ...now THAT'S A SIGHT!:jump:
Betcha the pilot's coffee thermos ended up back in the tail. :d

Ghostrider
August 18th, 2010, 07:45
Didn't Tango Romeo do a catapault lauch file for DBolts corsair? Maybe look at that file for some pointers. It is at Simviation here: http://www.simviation.com/simviation/index.php?type=item&ID=301&page=8

Maybe that will help

Yeah, that one works well - I was catapulting loaded TBFs off of CVEs while working on Truk stuff a year ago. It worked very well - you hit WEP once, and BOOM! Cat launch. After that your WEP works as normal.

trasno
August 18th, 2010, 10:59
Weeks ago I catapulted a Jake from floatplane carrier Nishim without problems. Now I have to try with a Pete.

Trasno

skylane
August 22nd, 2010, 12:24
TR´s tutorial is very helpful for modifying the aircraft for catapult launches.
However, I´ve tried to set up the ship. and I get nowhere. Changing the category in the DP is easy, but I have no idea what to do with the information in the config file: platforms? vertices? takeoff and landing start points? :isadizzy:

Maybe someone with knowledge about ships can explain how to set up a catapult?

Thanks

Nole
August 22nd, 2010, 19:48
Try the 'Catapults!!!!????' thread in the SimV CFS2 forum.

trasno
August 23rd, 2010, 08:54
Please take a look at this:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=17&linkid=2291

Trasno

dombral
August 24th, 2010, 03:29
16532[/ATTACH]=Bill 16533Kestell;464029]Which aircraft were you wanting to use? I have been delaying getting into this, but since I did the wake effect add-ons, I did plan to add the catapult effect to all the floatplanes as well. I might just as well start with what you want as just picking something/

Cheers, Billy:salute:

4 phases du lancement d'un Walrus à partir du HMS Walrus

dombral
August 24th, 2010, 03:32
Please take a look at this:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=17&linkid=2291

Trasno

skylane
August 24th, 2010, 07:16
Dombral. could you be so kind and post the ship config file for the Repulse?
I have read the thread at the Simviation forum, it all sounds logical, but somehow I cannot make it work myself.

Thanks,

skylane

dombral
August 26th, 2010, 02:18
TR´s tutorial is very helpful for modifying the aircraft for catapult launches.
However, I´ve tried to set up the ship. and I get nowhere. Changing the category in the DP is easy, but I have no idea what to do with the information in the config file: platforms? vertices? takeoff and landing start points? :isadizzy:

Maybe someone with knowledge about ships can explain how to set up a catapult?

Thanks

je vous envoie les dp et ship cfg pour quelques exemples de catapulte dont le Repulse

pour le lancement suivre la procédure suivante : freins de parking , volets position décollage ; lancer le moteur ; faire pivoter l'avion pour le placer sur la catapulte sans accélérer ; en meme temps : accélérer à fond , desserer le frein et appuyer sur la surpuissance (W)
excusez moi pour le Français mais mon Aglais est catastrophique
bon vol
Dombral

skylane
August 26th, 2010, 06:13
Dombral,

Merci beaucoup pour ton aide! :ernae:

skylane

dombral
August 27th, 2010, 23:34
Dombral,

Merci beaucoup pour ton aide! :ernae: