PDA

View Full Version : 'When You Can't Be The Best - Then Copy The Best'

Panther_99FS
August 16th, 2010, 03:34
http://www.everythingandroid.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SamsungEpic4Gclosed.png

jmig
August 16th, 2010, 03:57
What is that saying, "Copying is the most sincere form of flattery?"

I think that is from a famous Chinese philosopher.

Bone
August 16th, 2010, 05:14
Is that the EVO 4G? The people I know that have gotten it really love it.

AckAck
August 16th, 2010, 06:10
Has a slide out keyboard - t'would be a copy/upgrade of a Motorola Droid? Now we know who Panther thinks is "the best" :icon_lol:

Brian

rayrey10
August 16th, 2010, 06:53
Is that the EVO 4G? The people I know that have gotten it really love it.

I'm pretty sure it's the Samsung Captive.

Has a slide out keyboard - t'would be a copy/upgrade of a Motorola Droid? Now we know who Panther thinks is "the best" :icon_lol:

Brian

Brian - I think Panther is an "Apple/Mac guy"...vaguely remember him having an Apple symbol as an avatar (I think)...so I think he was referring to the iPhone. The Samsung Captive does not have a physical keyboard.

Bjoern
August 16th, 2010, 10:32
That OS still looks like [censored] Symbian...

Lionheart
August 16th, 2010, 13:41
Some of those icons are even direct copies. The phone icon is identicle. The game Asphalt is one that iPhone has. Memo is Notes, similar look. Calculator, maps, camera.

Did iPhone 'make' or design this for Sprint and everyone is keeping this secret?

I heard a rumour that Apple was 'up to something' in the phone business. I wonder if this is it?

AckAck
August 16th, 2010, 18:49
According to Panthers pic it is an Epic 4G, which has the slide out keyboard. OS is Android.

I know Panther is a "Mac Guy", as is Bill, which is why I was tweaking by suggesting that the copy is of a Droid...

Makes no matter to me - danged if I'm buying another phone anytime soon... (Have a Droid, and its already outdated. ) :angryfir: :crybaby: :icon_lol:

Brian

rayrey10
August 16th, 2010, 19:27
Brian - your probably right... both Samsungs look a lot alike.

I have a Droid too and it bites that less than a year after it comes out they put out the Droid X. I ain't buying another phone for a while either...unless Verizon gets the iPhone.

Lionheart
August 16th, 2010, 20:20
Man, that is a bummer.

Whats cool with Apple (for a while) was the software enhancements. One day you are just plugging it in and Voila, you get some enhancements and it does new things. Getting the iOS-4 software update was nice.

For Droid, getting the slide out key buttons I imagine was a relief. iPhone users have wanted that.

You know, if they offered these phones without penalties and you could upgrade with no worries, minimal cost (cost would surely be a factor though, as you realise), then maybe it wouldnt be tooooo bad... But when the phone company provider (like att) charge you for updating your phone, basically saying you cannot do that, then its just goofy.... plain, out and out goofy...

gets my eyebrows all furrowed...

Bjoern
August 17th, 2010, 08:17
OS is Android.

I'm relieved.

I just wish the Android port to the i8910 came to any results...it's soooooooo much better than S60v5.

Dangerousdave26
August 17th, 2010, 08:57
'When You Can't Be The Best

From the reports I have seen the Android based phone is out selling the Apple I Phone.

Mostly because of its Open Architecture that allows users to mod the OS and develop software for it with out restrictions* and the fact it is available on the other carriers.

Apple effectively copied the touch screen functionality for a cell phone from somebody....

They were not the first company to create one.

* If you have restrictions it is likely imposed on you by your provider not Google.

Lionheart
August 17th, 2010, 10:35
They were not the first company to create one.

Was the first Smart Phone based on Palm OS? I 'think' it was.

I remember when my Jornada recieved a device you clipped on the back and it had a modem in it, making it possible to go online to send emails. It didnt have the ability to go online though if I remember correctly. I could be wrong. Man, I cant remember that far back and I still have my Jornada's, lol...

Those were the days. I was so infatuated with Windows CE. A real pocket computer the size of my wallet...

Panther_99FS
August 17th, 2010, 18:10
Apple effectively copied the touch screen functionality for a cell phone from somebody....

Apple may have copied the technology - but that "somebody" didn't have enough foresight or vision to put that technology into a phone & subsequently make huge profits to which now all other phone manufacturers are trying to emulate and cash in on....:)