PDA

View Full Version : Face to Face

Bone
August 15th, 2010, 06:41
I was just wondering how many members at the SOH have ever met each other in person. I know it's a worldwide membership and getting together has it's logistical challenges, but alot of members live in or close to the same places. Maybe they've met at the AVSIM or other FS conventions. Maybe they've hooked up at airshows. School, work, a car accident, drive by shootings...whatever way it might have transpired, I'd be interested to hear who you met, where you met, and how it went.

I know alot people from a few RW aviation forums, but that's from being in the industry for a long time, and many I knew before the days of cyber forums. I'm just curious to know how the flight simmers have gone about it.

jmig
August 15th, 2010, 07:07
I have met several SOH member in my travels. Always enjoy meeting the person behind the avatar.

Ferry_vO
August 15th, 2010, 07:08
One of the benefits of living in a small country is that it's easy to link up; over the last few years I've met the following members: Huub Vink, Cees Donker, Jankees, Maarten, Robcap, Warrant, Fliger747, Panaka, Rcbarend, Francois, Grunau_baby, SdC, Ome_Joop, Javis and probably a few more during one of the FsWeekends in the Aviodrome musem at EHLE.

Panther_99FS
August 15th, 2010, 07:08
I've met Henry, "Hey Moe", jmig, and RedRiver6 all in person.....:cool:

OBIO
August 15th, 2010, 07:23
I've only had one face-to-face meeting with a site member, Devildog73. This was back in September 2007.

OBIO

Toastmaker
August 15th, 2010, 07:36
Given the size of the membership just here at SOH, if travel were easier and less costly - we'd probably have our own convention. That would be very hard to resist !

:running:

Cloud9Gal
August 15th, 2010, 07:39
Given the size of the membership just here at SOH, if travel were easier and less costly - we'd probably have our own convention. That would be very hard to resist !

I would LOVE that! http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s11651.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

jmig
August 15th, 2010, 07:39

I too would be up to attending.

Toastmaker
August 15th, 2010, 07:54
I would too ! Maybe Bone could fly around and pick us all up - Then again, maybe the plane's owners would have something to say about that. . . ;o

txnetcop
August 15th, 2010, 08:00
I've met quite a few, of course some have stopped flight-simming, a couple have died, some moved, but I have enjoyed meeting at the airshows and I have been to one AVSIM convention. Funny though, I haven't met but two guys here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

smilo
August 15th, 2010, 08:57
I've met Ickie at his home in Florida
ChaCha and little Chacha at a mall in Orlando
a snow storm interrupted meeting Henry
and I missed DangerousDave by that much
Martin Wright(not a member, but a flight sim icon), NavyChief, Crashaz, and Holger Sandman at the AvSim Conference in Bellevue, Washington a few years ago
Jagdflieger and I have been to lunch a few times
I look forward to meeting up with PRB soon.
OleBoy, bpfowler, johnC, Warhorse, and EasyEd are a few close neighbors that I would like to meet.

one I do NOT want to meet is Cloud9Gal! :icon_lol:

I would make an absolute fool of myself,
slobbering all over those pretty shoes

Tom Clayton
August 15th, 2010, 09:11
When Avsim had their convention in DC, I met Mike (Hey Moe), along with several members of Transload. I also met Cazzie at an airshow in Danvile VA.

Cees Donker
August 15th, 2010, 09:41
I met Ferry and Huub in person.

Cees

mike_cyul
August 15th, 2010, 09:46
I had the pleasure of having lunch with Bernt (sg38) in Toronto a while ago. Very nice to meet people in person! We'd do it more often, but have trouble getting out schedules to work out.

Mike

lefty
August 15th, 2010, 10:33
Back in the old Netwings days, a bunch used to meet at Duxford, including some of the Dutch contingent. Shame that died.

bpfowler
August 15th, 2010, 11:21
Hey Smilo,

the Puget Sound SOH Fraternity might wish to meet at the Museum of Flight this september when they rollout the TCA L-1049 into the Airpark....

cheerio,
brady

huub vink
August 15th, 2010, 11:26
Back in the old Netwings days, a bunch used to meet at Duxford, including some of the Dutch contingent. Shame that died.

Lefty, perhaps we should start this again. I would love to meet some of the UK members and see Duxford at the same time!

Most SOH members I have met in person are Dutch (Ome Joop, Ferry_O, Cees Donker, Jankees, Maarten, Robcap, Warrant, Rcbarend, Francois, SdC, Bigfoot) or semi-Dutch (Grunau_baby), but I met at least one Swiss member as well (ISRA) and one member even had to cross a continent and an ocean before we met (Fliger747).

Cheers,
Huub

Ferry_vO
August 15th, 2010, 11:33
Lefty, perhaps we should start this again. I would love to meet some of the UK members and see Duxford at the same time!

I second that! :applause:

Forgot to add Ome_Joop and Javis to my list.. :redf: sorry guys!

TARPSBird
August 15th, 2010, 11:54
I've met Hey_Moe, he lives in Hampton right across the water from me. The PFSG (Philippine Flight Simmers Group) occasionally has "I-2-I" get-togethers when several members find themselves in the same city, like Manila or Cebu. Usually dinner and/or happy hour at a convenient restaurant. Would be a good idea for SOH to copy.

Collin
August 15th, 2010, 12:00
Met Dirtman back in the 50's when he was an orrid brat.

Just can't seem to get rid of da bum.

forsaken Collin:ernae:

Bone
August 15th, 2010, 12:51
Good to hear alot of people have met. Keep your stories coming!

euroastar350
August 15th, 2010, 13:17
I've met Nater (Nate Rosentrauch) in Orlando when he was in Florida for Thanksgiving in 2008, had a great time with that day. Had dinner, went out to International Drive (the local attraction area), had some great conversations, etc. I would love to meet more folks from here and Hovercontrol, Jordan Moore doesn't too far from me:ernae:

Willy
August 15th, 2010, 13:27
I've met Henry a couple of times and just barely missed Panther. When PRB was living in St Louis, we never could seem to get together. There's just not many people in this part of the country that are within an easy drive to visit.

Back in the old CFC days, we held a get together in Lexington Kentucky that we had people from as far as England show up to. Unfortunately I missed it as I had college finals that week that I couldn't afford to miss if I valued my GPA. But the about 30 guys that did show up had a grand ol' time.

Brian_Gladden
August 15th, 2010, 16:39
Chris (Railrunner) and I have met once a few years ago. There are a couple of Vermont members on here but we haven't met as of yet.

Bushpounder
August 15th, 2010, 17:17
I saw Cazzie yesterday (8-14) at a model contest. We go back to about 1994 or so competing against each other. We don't build to compete anymore, but it was great to see him again.

Don

Bjoern
August 16th, 2010, 10:33
Thanks to this thread I had a really weird dream about a SOH get-together last night. xP

Henry
August 16th, 2010, 11:49
Met Dirtman back in the 50's when he was an orrid brat.

Just can't seem to get rid of da bum.

forsaken Collin:ernae:
well i could go to essex
H

Henry
August 16th, 2010, 11:52
panther, willy, rr6, jmig, crashaz
i have one more trip to the UK left
heres hoping
H

redriver6
August 16th, 2010, 12:19
Henry...who i have known for many years even before he was a famous flight sim forum moderator/administrator, Panther, Jmig and RC79 if anybody remembers him..

Henry
August 16th, 2010, 12:52
Henry...who i have known for many years even before he was a famous flight sim forum moderator/administrator, Panther, Jmig and RC79 if anybody remembers him..
oh im famous now:wiggle:
i do remember RC79
H

Willy
August 16th, 2010, 12:53
I think the last time that I was in Shreveport visiting with H, you were busy with work RR6.

Henry
August 16th, 2010, 13:00
there are a few people i would love to meet face to face
Gramps, Huub, (almost met him once) Roger,, Baz, Steve, (stalin)
Michael Davis, and cg9 just cos she's cute
and a few others
maybe one day
H

redriver6
August 16th, 2010, 14:15
I think the last time that I was in Shreveport visiting with H, you were busy with work RR6.

ya....the next time you get down this way holler at me....or i may get up that way...theres a bunch of Tenn. CW battlefields i intend to visit.

TeaSea
August 16th, 2010, 16:08
Flew down and picked up Joe Watson for breakfast at Sebring. We'll be going to Punta Gorda when the plane comes out of annual.

Ashamed to say I live just down the road from a couple of folks, including Ickie, and have never met 'em.

Henry
August 16th, 2010, 16:13
Flew down and picked up Joe Watson for breakfast at Sebring. We'll be going to Punta Gorda when the plane comes out of annual.

Ashamed to say I live just down the road from a couple of folks, including Ickie, and have never met 'em.
there are a few close by here that i have never met also
dont know if i want to meet Ickie he has a couple of birds in his house
and they would try to eat me:wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:
LOL
H

Collin
August 16th, 2010, 17:11
well i could go to essex
H

Of course you could H and be welcomed, but I met Dirtbag when my family moved down from Echo Bay, Great Bear Lake to Erin near Torontostan.:jump:

regards Collin:ernae:

Willy
August 16th, 2010, 17:17
ya....the next time you get down this way holler at me....or i may get up that way...theres a bunch of Tenn. CW battlefields i intend to visit.

Shiloh is about an hour and a half to the south of me and if you like stuff from that period, Dixie Gun Works is about 30 mins to the north. Gen Forrest made a cavalry ride through here harassing the Yankees too. Plus Davy Crockett's last home before he went to Texas is in the next little town up the road from my house.

Gramps
August 16th, 2010, 17:30
Shiloh is about an hour and a half to the south of me and if you like stuff from that period, Dixie Gun Works is about 30 mins to the north. Gen Forrest made a cavalry ride through here harassing the Yankees too. Plus Davy Crockett's last home before he went to Texas is in the next little town up the road from my house.

Been to both places Willy, wouldn't mind goin back to Dixie Gun Works again. It's been a long time since I been there.

I've only met one member, RobH. We met at an airshow a couple years ago.

Several on here I'd like to meet tho.

Railrunner130
August 16th, 2010, 17:31
Like Brian Gladden mentioned, we've met. I've also met Reddog, GT182, Bill Rambow and Mark Beaumont. I think there are a few others, but I apologize, I forget who else.

NoNewMessages
August 16th, 2010, 18:01
I almost went to the first SOH meet and greet.

I heard Henry started partying before the rest of the group...

Then things really hit the fan when Panther decided to drop in...

I'll try to make the next meeting! :ernae:

Toastmaker
August 17th, 2010, 02:37
Ha ! that's great ! Panther will never lose that rep. . . sorry P -

Ferry_vO
August 17th, 2010, 02:45

:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

hey_moe
August 17th, 2010, 02:54
I have had the pleasure of meeting, Panther and we hooked up a few times for dinner. I have also had TarpBird over to the house and I met Tom Clayton at a Avsim convention in Washington, DC. along with a couple of other members there. Also went to visit Tom at his house and met his wife ( I don't know how she puts up with him..lol ). Would be nice if we could all hook up at a Central location and meet each other face to face....( no guns ). It would even be better if we set up a ship cruise either on the Eastern or Western Caribbean. Now that would be fun.:jump:

jmig
August 17th, 2010, 03:28

Awwww man, this is classic. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing024.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Too bad we don't have a "Best of" section. I would nominate your post, NNM.

JoeW
August 17th, 2010, 06:06

Maybe one day you could go to Ickies and bring him down here for breakfast on morning.

Bone
August 17th, 2010, 06:27

Obviously, there's a good story behind this concerning Panther. The pics have piqued my interest, how about a textual description of the event. :)

Henry
August 17th, 2010, 06:39
Obviously, there's a good story behind this concerning Panther. The pics have piqued my interest, how about a textual description of the event. :)
the term panther what ever its original meaning rewrote the term for how to crash a plane
in one easy step now "panthering" is a new word in this language
and i was not partying Ickie left one of his darn birds in there
LOL
H:jump:

Snuffy
August 17th, 2010, 07:52
I do seriously hope this doesn't turn into one of my family reunions. :mixedsmi: (on either side of my family.)

Bjoern
August 17th, 2010, 08:06
Too bad we don't have a "Best of" section. I would nominate your post, NNM.

1) SOH Wiki
2) Create new article
3) Name it "Legendary threads/posts"
4) Fill it with (links to) legendary threads/posts and a short description
5) ????
6) PROFIT

;)

Willy
August 17th, 2010, 08:33
the term panther what ever its original meaning rewrote the term for how to crash a plane

In a spectacular fashion..

hey_moe
August 17th, 2010, 08:53
I do have some pictures of Panther when we hooked up last time but he said if I posted them again he would murder me...lol:monkies:

Snuffy
August 17th, 2010, 09:08
I do have some pictures of Panther when we hooked up last time but he said if I posted them again he would murder me...lol:monkies:

I don't think P would do it himself, he'd convince those Panzers of his to get ya ... :mixedsmi: