PDA

View Full Version : How do you zoom in and out?

CrisGer
August 13th, 2010, 18:52
OK< i plead old age.

How do you zoom the camera in and out in FSX? i tried every key i could think of and looked at the list of controls on the top menu but no joy.

i just want to zoom the external view of the plane that you get in normal flying...so i can see the plane but not have it fill the camera. any help very gratefully appreciated. I have a two button mouse with a wheel in between, got sometihng called Wheel cam and but that did not help at all, when i used the wheel the view ran right up to totally close and refused to change after that.

stormtrooper271
August 13th, 2010, 19:14
You use the "+" and "-" keys in the top row of numbers.

bkeske
August 13th, 2010, 20:01
If you want to customize your keyboard, or link the function to your joystick or yoke, use the FS command 'increase selection', and 'decrease selection'.

You typically need to click on the screen somewhere to activate the fact that you want to 'increase' or 'decrease' the screen (zoom).

FlameOut
August 14th, 2010, 04:00
I use "Ctrl +... and the - or the + on the top row of numbers next to the "Backspace" key.

Snave
August 14th, 2010, 06:34
I use "Ctrl +... and the - or the + on the top row of numbers next to the "Backspace" key.

...or hold the space bar and zoom with the mouse scroll wheel

bkeske
August 14th, 2010, 10:05

As do I, but that is a different setting. Zooming is done per the +/-, then 'chase distance' location is done per the above.

For exterior perceptive, I typical zoom all the way out, then zoom 'two to three clicks' in, then use the increase of the 'chase distance' position (Ctrl+/-) to get the best result. This is the reason (I think) many folks screen shots look so lousy (out of focus and blurry) from the exterior, they attempt to use one, or the other, but not both together. That said, when you are inside the cockpit, typically zooming (+/-) is all that is required.

But you are correct, these must be used in tandem depending on what you are trying to achieve.

CrisGer
August 14th, 2010, 16:28
fantastic, thank you all. that was just what i needed. I have over the years been studying all the flight sims and frankly it just has gotten me rather confused about some of the controls switching between them. this was very helpful if hard for me to ask about :) thanks again

:salute: