PDA

View Full Version : RAZBAM T-2 Buckeye FSX Compatibility

delta_lima
August 13th, 2010, 18:02
Hello all,

Yes, it works!! All gauges appear to work, looks great all-round.

Prowler - or anyone else in the know - can't deploy the tailhook ... any ideas? Command mapped to "T" - works fine in fs9, all other hooked planes work fine in FSX, checked aircraft.cfg to ensure the [tailhook] line was there ...

thanks for the help.

dl

Prowler1111
August 13th, 2010, 18:42
Well, it works just fine using FSX acceleration keys, which in the case of the tailhook is shift+Q..

Best regards

Prowler

delta_lima
August 13th, 2010, 21:17
Thanks Ron,

Tried that, remapped to other keys - nothing the hook won't deploy in the model. Very frustrating. I haven't tried trapping yet - but assuming it works "virtually", given the [tailhook] line is in the aircraft.cfg - but I'd really like to have it deploy "physically" ... anyone have any thoughts?

thanks,

Well, it works just fine using FSX acceleration keys, which in the case of the tailhook is shift+Q..

Best regards

Prowler

delta_lima
August 14th, 2010, 07:05
Reinstalled the model, no go

Checked other models - tailhooks fine.

tried trapping aboard the Nimitz - no go. That is to say, not even the "virtual" hook is working. I've never used a plane where there was no hook modeled, and merely added a virtual hook in the aircraft.cfg, but decided to treat this as that - no go.

So the modelled hook doesn't move, and the virtual one doesn't work ... am I relegated to shore duty .... :( ?

thanks for any other ideas you all may have.

dl

Prowler1111
August 14th, 2010, 07:07
Delta_lima..
I will load the Buckeye in my FSX acceleration install, looking for what might be the issue, but then again, port overs usually behave or simply donīt...anyway we do have a native T-2 in the works, same quality as our last release.

Best regards
Prowler

delta_lima
August 14th, 2010, 07:42
Delta_lima..
I will load the Buckeye in my FSX acceleration install, looking for what might be the issue, but then again, port overs usually behave or simply donīt...anyway we do have a native T-2 in the works, same quality as our last release.

Best regards
Prowler

Thanks P, looking forward to what you find. Nice to know there's a true FSX T-2 coming, too.

cheers,

PS:

Just tried the RAZBAM TA-4J - hook works great. Some textures on the gear are wonky, though ... sigh. Tried Ito's TA-4J - his hook doesn't work either - so I guess maybe certain models just don't port over well, or keep their functionality.

Z-AZ1USN
August 15th, 2010, 04:32
Thanks P, looking forward to what you find. Nice to know there's a true FSX T-2 coming, too.

cheers,

PS:

Just tried the RAZBAM TA-4J - hook works great. Some textures on the gear are wonky, though ... sigh. Tried Ito's TA-4J - his hook doesn't work either - so I guess maybe certain models just don't port over well, or keep their functionality.

I too am experiencing the same issue with the tailhook. I use FSX w/Acel and the hook
doesn't lower. I too tried to remap the key for it and no joy. Bummer.
Just out of curiosity, is the hook action coded inside the mdl file? Wonder if/how one could
"tweek" whatever it is to make the hook raise/lower.

delta_lima
August 15th, 2010, 06:35
Thanks - it's somewhat reassuring when someone else experiences the same thing. Maybe Ron can throw us a bone on the tweak until the FSX T-2 comes, knowing it'll be a while for that ... :jump:

cheers,

I too am experiencing the same issue with the tailhook. I use FSX w/Acel and the hook
doesn't lower. I too tried to remap the key for it and no joy. Bummer.
Just out of curiosity, is the hook action coded inside the mdl file? Wonder if/how one could
"tweek" whatever it is to make the hook raise/lower.

Prowler1111
August 15th, 2010, 06:59
Maybe this can fix it
Open the aircraft cfg and look for the following, IF itīs missing, then add it

[TailHook]
tailhook_length=4 ;(feet)
tailhook_position=-23.6, 0.0, 1.2 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
cable_force_adjust=1.0

If you want it to be able to use the catapult, add this as well

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot=1.30, 0.00, -0.80
launch_bar_lug=1.30, 0.00, -3.80

Best regards

Prowler

Z-AZ1USN
August 15th, 2010, 08:41
Maybe this can fix it

[TailHook]
tailhook_position=-23.6, 0.0, 1.2 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
cable_force_adjust=1.0

[launch_assistance]

Best regards

Prowler

I was ahead of you. I failed to mention in my last post that I did in fact do a "Find" in the aircraft.cfg file for "tailhook" and the info you provided popped (It reads identical to your suggestion here). So...I guess we are SOL on that one.
"So out of luck....

delta_lima
August 15th, 2010, 13:28
You must be low on sleep .... 'cause I said I did that already ... :)

no worries. Such a drag, because it really hasn't aged that much for me - still looks good. Is fixing the mdl code a big job? What can I say - I'm a fan of the plane ... :)

cheers,

Maybe this can fix it

[TailHook]
cable_force_adjust=1.0

[launch_assistance]

Best regards

Prowler

Rich
June 15th, 2011, 21:28
Mr Ito's model was also missing hydraulic pressure and his hook animation only, like some of his other models is mapped to / the spoiler key but still needs the normal hook key command to lower the virtual hook.

cheers,

PS:

Astoroth
June 15th, 2011, 23:38
Check the hydraulic section of the aircraft.cfg, and make sure it has pressure, I think it needs at least 500 PSI. Some FS9 planes when ported over will have that little booboo.

Rich
June 16th, 2011, 00:06
This thread was linked by another thread for the same aircraft and the Hydraulic pressure was fixed there, I think people are now reasonably happy with the results

Check the hydraulic section of the aircraft.cfg, and make sure it has pressure, I think it needs at least 500 PSI. Some FS9 planes when ported over will have that little booboo.

delta_lima
June 16th, 2011, 07:32
This thread was linked by another thread for the same aircraft and the Hydraulic pressure was fixed there, I think people are now reasonably happy with the results

Thanks Rich,

Looking back, I should have posted in this thread. Regardless, yes, as I mentioned there, the plane works well - handles beautifully, and of course, hook works properly.

Here's the shot I posted in the other thread.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40085&stc=1&d=1308165361

regards,

dl

delta_lima
July 2nd, 2011, 19:32
DL try the hook shot on a runway and extend the hook, at the moment it sounds as if it is to long/ hook attach point not correct, with a trike the visual hook should extend till the virtual hook touches the ground.

To check the hook attach point copy past this into your lights section make light xx the next higher number

light.xx = 3, , fx_navgre // Tailhook Att pt

copy paste your tailhook_position= settings from the comma after the three to the comma before fx into the above light setting, change the 0.0 which is left or right of centre to -2.0

if you get it right in spot view on the left side of the plane with your lights switched you should see a green light, this is the hook attach point

OK Rich - here goes ...

Can't shoot pic on the runway - tailhook doesn't deploy on ground - but here's next best ...

So, on first inspection, yeah, there's something funky going on with the hook. I always thought "tailhook attachment" meant the coordinates for where on the a/c the hook attaches ... this is neither that, nor the end of the hook. Regardless, some editing is in order.

For review, my current (adjusted) tailhook settings are:
[TailHook]
tailhook_length=5.32
tailhook_position= -12.66, 0.00, -2.57
cable_force_adjust=3.0

Stock was as above, save for the length of the hook ...

[TailHook]
tailhook_length=4.32
cable_force_adjust=3.0

thoughts?

dl

Rich
July 2nd, 2011, 20:38
DL, did you do the light thing I mentioned and if yes do you see the light, the attachment you have in your previous post does not work, it may be a pic of the light position ????.

light.xx = 3,-12.66, -2.00, -2.57, fx_navgre // Tailhook Att pt this is what you should have in your lights section the xx being 1 higher than the last light in the default.

Before messing about editing the tailhook attach point juggle the light to get it on the model visual hook attach point then you can use the settings from the light as the hook attach point remembering to change the -2.00 to 0.00

Try reducing your hook length by 50% and see if you get any hook movement

delta_lima
July 2nd, 2011, 21:46
Hi Rich-light worked fine. Don't know why my screen isn't showing up. The light (hook attack pt) was hanging way down below the fuselage. Will adjust and advise. Can you advise again if the coords go aft/fore, u/p down - or vice versa? ThanksDL

Rich
July 2nd, 2011, 21:48
DL, just pulled Mr Ito's model back out of my recycle bin to hopefully give me some ideas, your modified tail hook attach point is exactly the same as his as modified by someone else for Fs9 where there was no accel only gauges where it did not matter that much if the attach point was a bit out, it may be that the scale of the Ito model and the Razbam model may differ and Mr Ito's datums are always model dead centre.

delta_lima
July 2nd, 2011, 21:53
Ok Rich - will check and advise results. Your patience and help is much appreciated.Daniel

Rich
July 2nd, 2011, 21:57
DL have another go at posting that pic if the light is way below the fuselage that is why your hook will not come down on the ground< I have said it many times bunging any old settings from another model rarely works.

-12.66 is fore and aft minus puts it behind the datum

0.00 is centre line and should always be 0.00 for tail hooks

-2.57 is below the the datum line a positive figure is above

Hi Rich-light worked fine. Don't know why my screen isn't showing up. The light (hook attack pt) was hanging way down below the fuselage. Will adjust and advise. Can you advise again if the coords go aft/fore, u/p down - or vice versa? ThanksDL

delta_lima
July 3rd, 2011, 06:59
DL have another go at posting that pic if the light is way below the fuselage that is why your hook will not come down on the ground< I have said it many times bunging any old settings from another model rarely works.

-12.66 is fore and aft minus puts it behind the datum

0.00 is centre line and should always be 0.00 for tail hooks

-2.57 is below the the datum line a positive figure is above

OK - here's the pic:

I had just a min before running out the door with the kids - so will repost once I've edited the hook position. It's obvious that it's a good two or more feet low and slightly aft of where it needs to be ... Thanks for this - will start a similar thread on the Rollus Crusader. I suspect it has similar issues.

dl

Rich
July 3rd, 2011, 16:11
DL as soon as you said originally the hook was bouncing up of the deck I knew it was set too low/too long and you lengthened the hook to fix it, add the hook length from your green light and you are way below, have'nt got the model so can't show you with show markers how much below.

Do your editing on the light line you added that way you can see what you are doing, editing the tailhook bit which does not allow you to see where you have moved anything, REMEMBER to change the -2.00 to 0.00 when you copy paste that light setting into the hook setting to centralize the hook

Re the Crusader the problem is with the contact points and until that is sorted I would leave the hook alone as it is pretty close to being right.

Rich
July 3rd, 2011, 19:37
DL, re cat launch speed it can be reduced by adding 1 line in FSX.cfg re read this thread from this page, not my find but I use it now and the Swordfish launches at 70 kts as opposed to 170 kts

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?54718-Moving-Ships-what-s-the-big-deal/page3

delta_lima
July 3rd, 2011, 20:05
OK mates ... she's done. Rich - your technique - both in it's fiendishly simple diagnosis and fix - is magnificent. Many thanks.

Not only does the Buckeye now get arrested in a more civilized manner - but the hook actually deploys on the ground. The former was the real objective - but the latter was a nice touch.

So, my recommended tailhook settings for this bird are as follows:

[TailHook]
tailhook_length=4.32
tailhook_position= -11.00, 0.00, 0.90
cable_force_adjust=3.0

I went back to the stock length - but the key was nailing the tailhook position. As you see, I got it fairly close:

Total time spent: 15 min. Satisfaction from the fix: priceless.

Thanks Rich, and I hope this helps others ....

dl

ps: Yes, Rich did the launch force fix - fabulous fix for the earlier jets/props. Why the sim wouldn't come standard to that setting baffles me ... but thanks to whomever discovered that.... :icon29:

Rich
July 3rd, 2011, 20:56
DL,

Not only does the Buckeye now get arrested in a more civilized manner - but the hook actually deploys on the ground. The former was the real objective - but the latter was a nice touch.

The latter would not have occurred if the former had not been fixed, the virtual hook has to be right first as the visual hook follows the virtual and since the virtual hook was practically on the deck to start with you would only get the vis hook to go down in the air whereas it should at least go down until the virtual hook catch point touches the deck.

Rich
July 4th, 2011, 00:11
DL, try these contact points in your Crusader, not yet finished so see how you get on with a arrested landing using the current tail hook, hopefully this will have removed your nasty bump.

Crusader contact points test.

[contact_points]
static_pitch = 1.967539
static_cg_height = 6.416002
tailwheel_lock = 0
gear_system_type = 1
max_number_of_points = 14

point.0 = 1, 8.64, 0, -6.887, 2500, 0, 0.8, 34, 0.4, 3.0, 0.5, 5, 5, 0, 200, 300
point.1 = 1, -9.65, -4.5, -6.20, 2500, 1, 1.2, 0,0.336, 2.5, 0.7, 7.9, 7, 2, 200, 300
point.2 = 1, -9.65, 4.5, -6.20, 2500, 2, 1.2, 0,0.336,2.5, 0.7, 8.1, 8.1, 3, 200, 300
point.3 = 2, -14.17, -17.9057, -1.0579, 787.4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 5, 0, 0
point.4 = 2, -14.17, 18.0173, -1.1334, 787.4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 6, 0, 0
point.5 = 2, -30.1246, 0, -3.7877, 1574.8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 9, 0, 0
point.6 = 2, 22.7403, 0, 0.5672, 787.4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0
point.7 = 5, -3.90, 0.0, -0.300, 1600, 0, 0.00, 50.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.00, 1.0, 1.2, 0, 0.0, 0.0

Back up the aircraft.cfg first

delta_lima
July 4th, 2011, 07:46
Thanks Rich,

Yes, the rationale behind the hook placement makes total sense.

Will try the F-8 fixes tomorrow - for kicks and giggles, I'll check the hook attach point.

Many thanks!!!

dl

delta_lima
July 4th, 2011, 20:54
Hello Rich,

Taking up the discussion here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=44

I'm done with the T-2 = perfect. Thanks.

dl