PDA

View Full Version : Apple Tries to Squash Jailbreakers

Lionheart
August 13th, 2010, 08:48
Well, seems Apple is trying to crush all the Jail Breakers. They are sealing a 'security hole' in the iPhone/iPod Touch Safari which Jailbreak uses (via Cydia) to get into the unit and make changes to the OS, which takes perhaps seconds to do from what I have seen on YouTube.

The patch will be an update when people plug in their iPhones and iPods and iPads into itunes for updates.

I dont know about you guys, but I am really tired of their being no freedom and all. Now, I do not have jailbreak, but it almost makes me want to try it.

If you go to war with your customers, who wins? I ask you. This is just a common sense question....

Allen
August 13th, 2010, 09:02
If you go to war with your customers, who wins? I ask you. This is just a common sense question....

Google.

Butcherbird17
August 13th, 2010, 09:14
I'm a jail breaker :wiggle::wavey::wiggle: and it is very easy to do now. I'm using 4.1 OS on a 3G. Give it a try LH, you can always restore it if you don't like it in itunes. Just open up Safari and type in www dot jailbreakme dot com and let it do its thing, takes a couple minutes. And yes it works on 4G. If you have updated past 4.0.1 firmware jailbreak will not work.

Joe

jmig
August 13th, 2010, 09:15
Google.

Yes! Or even Microsoft. If they can get their mobile Win 7 to actually compete, this could open the door.

I will say this. my 28 yr old son told me he his getting rid of his Apple Iphone, getting a andriod phone and switching to Verizon.

Bjoern
August 13th, 2010, 11:32
Google.

/Thread

Wing_Z
August 13th, 2010, 14:25
Apple just made the transition from "Us" to "Them".

NZ iPhones do not have these restrictions, why does the US market need "protection"?

azflyboy
August 13th, 2010, 14:44
This is why I have a Droid.

Not only can I get cell reception pretty much anywhere and an unlimited data plan (plus free tethering), but since Google doesn't try to control absolutely every aspect of the Android OS, hardware manufacturers are free to create whatever phones they want to and the Android app store has a ton of very good free content without the BS "approval" process Apple forces on it's app store.

Honestly, I think the iphone has been a huge boost for Google and Verizon, since Apple tied their flagship product into a miserable carrier and focused on micromanaging everything possible while totally ignoring Android until it was in a position to wipe out the iPhone's market share.

I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone v. Android wars end up exactly like the original Mac versus Windows fight, with Apple being forced into a smaller niche market because of their refusal to cooperate with other companies.

Allen
August 13th, 2010, 15:46
I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone v. Android wars end up exactly like the original Mac versus Windows fight, with Apple being forced into a smaller niche market because of their refusal to cooperate with other companies.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

"He who commands the past, conquers the future. He who commands the future conquers the past" - Kane

Lionheart
August 13th, 2010, 16:35
Yes! Or even Microsoft. If they can get their mobile Win 7 to actually compete, this could open the door.

I will say this. my 28 yr old son told me he his getting rid of his Apple Iphone, getting a andriod phone and switching to Verizon.

One of the reasons I came to Apple (computer) was that Microsoft had me locked into vista, saying my warrany on my new computers (2) would be void if I dare load WinXP on them. After having dealt with vista for several months, I was pretty upset. I went and bought an iMac and have been happy ever since.

But now, seeing how this iPhone fiasco is going, I am kinda let down. They have become huge....! Why in the world make mountains out of mole hills... arrghh..

<--- kicks the dirt with his shoe