PDA

View Full Version : [Released] FSX Solomon 1943

roger-wilco-66
August 13th, 2010, 03:35
It's in the download area:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=4&linkid=2390

Enjoy, and to the SOH members that helped me so much to bring this further than I imagined in the beginning: THANKS!

Cheers,
Mark

Crusader
August 13th, 2010, 05:11
This link only takes me to SOH's Download Library maze . I looked FSX Others category and it wasn't there . I'll keep looking . I love SOH and it is diffinately my favorite place to be and I certainly appreciate your hard work and others on this project .

Thoe6969
August 13th, 2010, 05:23
Just looked in FSX other ,it says last entry AUG.13th but there is nothing
there dated for that date.This library sucks.I love SOH but the library is the worst ever.

Henry
August 13th, 2010, 05:48
i just released it
we do check uploads first for viruses etc
H

Henry
August 13th, 2010, 05:51
and thanks
H:salute::salute:

italoc
August 13th, 2010, 05:56
Downloading now: no problem :salute:
Italo

Crusader
August 13th, 2010, 06:03
Thanks Henry for the prompt service . You have a lot of middle aged men here who are short on patience . Me being high on the list . LOL I wasn't trying to be critical of the upload speed but I must admit I am a little hesitant on the download library as IMO it's not very user friendly as others have mentioned .

fliger747
August 13th, 2010, 07:24
These are a lot of fun and add a period feel to the older aircraft that we often favor.

Just an idea of the surprising detail, a small seaplane base in the Russels, a bit to the west of Guadalcanal.

Cheers: t

tpet
August 13th, 2010, 08:12
Thank you for your time and efforts. I know I will be spending alot of time in the area. Hopefully even some good multiplayer sessions. Thank you again.

Tartuffe
August 13th, 2010, 08:15
Many thanks !

peter12213
August 13th, 2010, 08:19
Awesome Idea for a part of the world I rarely fly, guess I'm going to need my compass for this one!:salute:

dogfish
August 13th, 2010, 09:31
downloading now cant wait to fly over your scenery. Again thank You very much.

Henry
August 13th, 2010, 09:53
Thanks Henry for the prompt service . You have a lot of middle aged men here who are short on patience . Me being high on the list . LOL I wasn't trying to be critical of the upload speed but I must admit I am a little hesitant on the download library as IMO it's not very user friendly as others have mentioned .
not gonna disagree
i do not get around like i used to
H

Crusader
August 13th, 2010, 10:53
Ok , that's it ! My present navigator is grounded . Last pic is me " getting the hell out of Dodge "

Love this scenery . I havn't even scratched the surface and at the rate i'm going I'll get shot out the sky before I finish . I better fly this bird at night like it was designed to do .

Rich

mal998
August 13th, 2010, 12:19
Great job on this scenery. It makes flying around this area so much more interesting and fun!

Thanks!

roger-wilco-66
August 13th, 2010, 14:54
I can't tell you what a huge relief the release of this project is for me, and I hope there are not too many errors in the scenery.

The best is - I get to fly again. Most of my time spent in FSX the last four months was slewing around and constantly reload the scenery database after updates. For example, I bought the A2A B17 when it was released, but the first time I flew this fine bird was today!

The best experience in developing this scenery was reading a lot of books and learning the history of this scenario while developing it, this was a great source of inspiration.

Another great experience was the willingness to help and the enthusiasm of many fine people here in the SOH community - cheers to you all! This really gives me the kick to plan new projects and work on my skills to achieve better results in the future.

Mark

roger-wilco-66
August 13th, 2010, 15:23
Ok , that's it ! My present navigator is grounded . Last pic is me " getting the hell out of Dodge "

Love this scenery . I havn't even scratched the surface and at the rate i'm going I'll get shot out the sky before I finish . I better fly this bird at night like it was designed to do .

Rich

Geez, Rich, you don't land a PBY at Rekata Seaplane base, you are going to have a rug dance with the CO for that!!

These are a lot of fun and add a period feel to the older aircraft that we often favor.

Just an idea of the surprising detail, a small seaplane base in the Russels, a bit to the west of Guadalcanal.

Cheers: t

There's even more on the Russels, have you seen the Pavuvu Cub Strip for the L4 Grasshoppers (demanding to land!) or the big 1st marine division camp there?

Wifes will hate me.

Cheers,
Mark

PRB
August 13th, 2010, 15:38
Man, this looks great! Just downloaded. Next, install. Then, dawn patrol over The Slot...

roger-wilco-66
August 13th, 2010, 15:52
I spotted that there is something wrong in the pictures here.
The beaches are missing. Could someone please copy the beach texture that is included in the package into the

\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Texture\

folder and have a look at the beaches? Strange!

The beaches should look like the one on the picture below.

Mark

PRB
August 13th, 2010, 16:37
Ok, wait. Why are those guys from the crash and salvage department standing around looking at me waiting to take off? They're making me nervous!

This is a great package!
:ernae:

PRB
August 13th, 2010, 16:44
I spotted that there is something wrong in the pictures here.
The beaches are missing. Could someone please copy the beach texture that is included in the package into the

\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Texture\

folder and have a look at the beaches? Strange!

The beaches should look like the one on the picture below.

Mark

I can't find a beach texture... What's the exact filename? Maybe it didn't make into the release..?

roger-wilco-66
August 13th, 2010, 17:12
PRB,

its in the folder "alternative coastline" in the package and the texture is named

o_whitesand_ls.bmp

It should be a default FSX texture. I checked some images sent to me by beta testers during the beta phase, and there the coastline definitly showed up.

I'm still flabbergasted about that and can not reproduce it in my installation. It could be that some add-on sceneries that I do not have make adjustments to the FSX terrain.cfg, but that is only an assumption as of now.

The guys from the crash department expect you to torque roll and wreck your Wildcat on liftoff to have something to do (they are bored)!

Cheers,
Mark

PRB
August 13th, 2010, 17:29
Here's some pics after moving the o_whitesand_ls.bmp file to the scenery\world\texture\ folder. I'm not sure I'm flying over the right place, but it is some beach area, and it looks the same on my system as it did before the file move.

fliger747
August 14th, 2010, 13:11
Paul:

This would be great for another "slot race" like we had before!

Cheers: T

roger-wilco-66
August 14th, 2010, 13:19
I think I have figured the missing shorelines out. Long ago I installed a free addon that modifies the terrain.cfg and adds new landclasses and texture definitions:

(Quote from Simviation)

FSX Modified Terrain Textures Config File (http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=scenery&file=fsx_modified_terrain_cfg.zip). . Flight Simulator X terrain is defined in the terrain.cfg file. During testing, we have determined a certain number of modifications to this file that will correct some problems with the FS world and also provide more options for scenery designers. For example, in some places, water bodies display rocky areas - this file fixes that. Note: It does not smooth out the terrain - just colors it so it isn't so obviously flawed. Richard Ludowise, Luis Féliz-Tirado. 318K

The link for the package is:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=scenery&file=fsx_modified_terrain_cfg.zip

My design software grabbed the configuration and I thought it was default (lesson: always develop on a clean install). I used the FS9 shorelines, which are not scaleable in width by default. Above mentioned package enables the designer to change the width, which I did, but without the new terrain.cfg, you won't see them in FSX. Oh well.

So, if you can go without shorelines, it's fine, but if you want them, you must install the above mentioned package.

Thanks, and sorry,
Mark

Butcherbird17
August 14th, 2010, 14:02
Everything good on my end, installed perfect. Now all we need is some AI fleets running up and down the slot. Thanks for this great scenery Mark.:salute:

Joe

roger-wilco-66
August 14th, 2010, 14:11
Everything good on my end, installed perfect. Now all we need is some AI fleets running up and down the slot. Thanks for this great scenery Mark.:salute:

Joe

Joe, if you want to improve the look of the shorelines (the default ones have this dark shading on the waterside of the beach), you might want to install the alternative coastline (see isntallation instructions).

As for the AI fleet, try Davids (dwso) naval traffic for the Solomons:

http://www.box.net/shared/9ing89m5u3

thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=462961

Cheers,
Mark

italoc
August 14th, 2010, 14:21
Hi Mark
very good your Solomon 1943 :applause::applause:
I really enjoy flying it. :jump::jump:
Only a question: is this the correct rendering of the result of bombings

or did I do something wrong :isadizzy: ????

Ciao
Italo

roger-wilco-66
August 14th, 2010, 14:34
Hi Mark
very good your Solomon 1943 :applause::applause:
I really enjoy flying it. :jump::jump:
Only a question: is this the correct rendering of the result of bombings

or did I do something wrong :isadizzy: ????

Ciao
Italo

Thanks!

your question: disable ground shadows :-) enabling them will draw a shadow under the part of the texture that is transparent by an alphachannel. This is because the object (crater, here) is slightly elevated to prevent a flickering image, which is unsightly.

Cheers,
Mark

NoNewMessages
August 14th, 2010, 15:10
So, if you can go without shorelines, it's fine, but if you want them, you must install the above mentioned package.

Uh oh! Roadblock ahead! While everyone should install the modified Terrain.cfg file mentioned, there needs to be some caveats if they don't have it and want to install it.

The Terrain.cfg file can be opened with Notepad and if it is the default, unaltered version then the first few lines will read;

[General]
DefaultTextureCount=383
AutogenCount=14

Many addons will adjust the Terrain.cfg file and that number count will change. If that number count IS NOT 383 do not do a straight replacement of the Terrain.cfg file. Ultimate Terrain X, Ultimate Alaska X, FTX and many other products will add entries to the Terrain.cfg file and the DefaultTextureCount will be higher.

If someone wants to change their Terrain.cfg file to the modified Ludowise/Tirado version and your DefaultTextureCount is not 383, please ask before doing so.

SADT
August 14th, 2010, 15:49
Hi Italoc,

What aircraft is that? There arent that many jap aircraft for fsx, so if that one does work well, i will probably add it to my hangar.

Butcherbird17
August 14th, 2010, 17:59
Hey Mark, installed the alternative coastline and looks good. Haven't got around to installing David's AI tracks yet, will do tomorrow.

Joe

roger-wilco-66
August 15th, 2010, 01:14
Hi Italoc,

What aircraft is that? There arent that many jap aircraft for fsx, so if that one does work well, i will probably add it to my hangar.

It's the
<CENTER>FSX Nakajima Night Fighter Type-11 Gekkou
</CENTER>
you can get it from

http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&match=j1n*&fsec=96

I wanted to include it as static model in the scenery, but decided against it, because they were not stationed in the Solomons/Bougainville. The closest unit to the Solomons operated from Rabaul.

Cheers,
Mark

italoc
August 15th, 2010, 05:52
Thanks!

your question: disable ground shadows :-) enabling them will draw a shadow under the part of the texture that is transparent by an alphachannel. This is because the object (crater, here) is slightly elevated to prevent a flickering image, which is unsightly.
Cheers,
Mark

Thanks
Everything in order now (and understandable)
Ciao
Italo

Sundog
August 15th, 2010, 06:59
Thanks RW66!!! I love this scenery, I went up in a mission in the FSD P-38 last night. I really like how you gave us the info on which aircraft were based out of each respective airfield.

Sundog
August 15th, 2010, 07:01
Uh oh! Roadblock ahead! While everyone should install the modified Terrain.cfg file mentioned, there needs to be some caveats if they don't have it and want to install it.

The Terrain.cfg file can be opened with Notepad and if it is the default, unaltered version then the first few lines will read;

[General]
DefaultTextureCount=383
AutogenCount=14

Many addons will adjust the Terrain.cfg file and that number count will change. If that number count IS NOT 383 do not do a straight replacement of the Terrain.cfg file. Ultimate Terrain X, Ultimate Alaska X, FTX and many other products will add entries to the Terrain.cfg file and the DefaultTextureCount will be higher.

If someone wants to change their Terrain.cfg file to the modified Ludowise/Tirado version and your DefaultTextureCount is not 383, please ask before doing so.

I wondered about that. So what do I do? My numbers are 539/28 respectively, without the Solomons.

NoNewMessages
August 15th, 2010, 08:39
I wondered about that. So what do I do? My numbers are 539/28 respectively, without the Solomons.

The simple way to check is what's up at the top? The modified RTM Terrain.cfg has this header;

//------------------------------------------------------------------------
//This modified FS X terrain.cfg is the result of discussions among
// various scenery designers during testing of Flight Simulator X.
// The modifications are the work of
// Richard Ludowise and Luis Féliz-Tirado.
// November 2006
//------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Terrain.cfg file is divided into texture and autogen references, textures coming first. The last default texture call before the autogen entries in number 382, modified is 388.

If someone had the default Terrain.cfg file with additional entries, it is possible to change to the modified version. It involves cutting and pasting and renumbering, much like adding a new texture to an airplane. Making a backup copy beforehand would be highly recommended!

PRB
August 15th, 2010, 09:35
Paul:

This would be great for another "slot race" like we had before!

Yes, that would be great!

PRB
August 15th, 2010, 12:40
I have beaches now! Thanks to Mark (roger-wilco-66) for suggesting the fix. In the terrain.cfg I added the "guid=" line, that's it, and now I have beaches. Very cool.

// Ocean Shorelines - Perennial - ocean / white sand / perennial
[Texture.2]
Name=Shorelines_Ocean_White_Sand_Perennial
Color=FFC0C000
guid={42E70A8E-6A7D-4279-9A0C-2AE9C2FCFD16}
LegacyId=1026
Textures=o_whitesand_ls.bmp
Layout=3_PLUS_4
Size=4
Effect=wavecontroller
LandClassRemapType=natural
ExcludeAutogen=Yes
RenderToTexture=Yes
RenderPriority=90000
Water=No

FAC257
August 15th, 2010, 16:17
Well after two solid days (25 flt. hrs.) of flying I finally made it to the new Solomons '43 scenery area.

Here's from the first landing in the rear area at Cristobal Field (AGGK). The P-47 "Sylvia" is slightly out of time, from the later part of '44 in New Guinea.

This is the very first I've the scenery in person and just this little bit I've seen is incredible.

Mark, thanks for all the work you put into this project.

FAC

robert41
August 15th, 2010, 16:40
Thanks Mark. Incredible work.

Stickshaker
August 16th, 2010, 03:17
I have beaches now! Thanks to Mark (roger-wilco-66) for suggesting the fix. In the terrain.cfg I added the "guid=" line, that's it, and now I have beaches. Very cool.

I don't know if it is relevant, but I already have a 'guid' line in the terrain.cfg. It looks like this:
guid={2D3FC985-A72B-473D-B23B-D78E72E63B53}.

I have yet to try out if it makes any difference for the beaches.

dswo
August 16th, 2010, 04:42
Update on AI boat traffic: I just got a bundle of repaints, so in the next day or so I'm going to post an update. I'll need at least one tester just to make sure I have everything packaged right.

italoc
August 16th, 2010, 04:55
Update on AI boat traffic: I just got a bundle of repaints, so in the next day or so I'm going to post an update. I'll need at least one tester just to make sure I have everything packaged right.

Great
If you think a "good to nothing" (my spouse expression :wiggle:) can help as a tester .... i'm willing to try
Italo

olderndirt
August 16th, 2010, 12:00
The addition of the 'guid=' line from the 'modified terrain.cfg' (same section) to the 'texture .2' portion of the 'oceans etc' PERENNIAL section of the existing 'terrain.cfg' works great.

langereis
August 17th, 2010, 10:17
Hi all,

See the link for free WW2 plane such as the Beaufighter with a lot of different textures:
http://classicbritishfiles.com/

(Homepage, new releases)

:jump:

dswo
August 17th, 2010, 11:06
I've just uploaded what I hope is the last beta version of the traffic files: http://cid-24a84147c2763f11.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Solomons%20Traffic%201.7.zip. Give them a try and let me know, good or bad, how it goes. If they seem to be working, I'll upload them to the usual sites.

icycle
August 17th, 2010, 11:37
David,

Don't know if it was just me, but the file name had a "_" after the ".zip", making it unreadable. If I renamed to ".zip" it was okay.

I'll let you know what I see with the files in game.

Thanks for doing this!

Bill

SADT
August 17th, 2010, 22:44
Hi,

I seem to have had a total space-out, but I cant for the life of me get this installed? I have dropped all the Solomon Is. folders into the Addon scenery directory, (Not the scenery and textures folders) but when I navigate to find the new scenery in the Add Scenery menu, I can navigate to the Solomons folders, but there is nothing inside for me to check??????? Any ideas? Please? :p::p::confused::confused::frown::frown:

BTW - I have Windows 7 32, FSX Accel.

EDIT: SOLVED!

SADT
August 18th, 2010, 02:19
Hi Mark,

What airfield is that where crusader landed his PBY and got attacked? Also, are there any sound effects? Finally, what is the code for Rekata seaplane base? is there a flight that has been made so I can get there? Thanks in advance.

huub vink
August 18th, 2010, 05:07
Very nice Mark, thanks for all your efforts!

To explore this area I can recommend Dave Garwood's Beaufighter with Jeansy's Australian textures, which can be found at OZx (http://aussiex.org/forum/).

Does somebody know whether the Australians were present at the Solomons and where?

Thanks again,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/jeansy_DG_Beaufighter_1.jpg

Crusader
August 18th, 2010, 06:06
Hi Mark,

What airfield is that where crusader landed his PBY and got attacked? Also, are there any sound effects? Finally, what is the code for Rekata seaplane base? is there a flight that has been made so I can get there? Thanks in advance.

SADT: Unfortuately I was just joking about my navigational skills . The airport code is AGGV which is the original Suavano in FSX . Mark has deleted this original FSX airport but Rakata Japanese Seaplane base is still there . If you click on AGGV in FSX's airport list it places just inside the treeline close to Rekata and if your in an amphib AC you can slip into the water and Rekata is close . I love this base and Mark has done an excellent job with the scenery objects especially the Japanese seaplanes . Wish I could find a Japanese AI seaplane that works in FSX as I am in the process of making an AFCAD(I use AFX) file with a water runway and parking spots . A flightplan would be possible if I'm successful with the AFCAD file . As far as the sounds I can't really answer that . I do know there are bases in Mark's scenery package where there is explosions and smoke . Mark would have to answer that .

Rich

huub vink
August 18th, 2010, 07:05
Piglet's Kingfisher is a great plane to do some reconnaissance as well......

Cheers,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Solomon_2.jpg

Crusader
August 19th, 2010, 10:21
I am embarassed to say I have tried unsuccessful with trying to add AI . I am usually fairly good at AFX but I have run into a few snags . I have attempted AGGH , AGBK , and also tried to add a water runway to AGGV-Suavanao which was deleted in the scenery but now places you just inside the treeline close to the Japanese Seaplane Base at Rekata . I have made sure I have a tower and ground communication and add proper parking space that match the particular AC I use . I make sure I use AI AC that I or others have used in other FSX sceneries . Yes , I actually use the "fault finder" at the end and correct any mistakes . I really suspect I may be adding incorrect elevation/altitude numbers which I'm sure would render no AI showing up .

Question : If anyone has made some AFX(AFCAD) files or I should say changes for this scenery and would you mind sharing ????

Would be much appreciated:salute:

Rich:ernae:

mal998
August 19th, 2010, 13:10
Mark,
you did a great job, thanks again!

15872 15871

FAC257
August 19th, 2010, 13:51
Starting the trip towards the front lines. Here's a couple from the hop from AGGK over to AGHS.

Departing Cristobal Base:

Arrival at Havalo Seaplane Base:

FAC

expat
August 19th, 2010, 13:57
Wonderful aircraft and scenes from the Solomons guys.

expat
August 19th, 2010, 13:58
That A-20 Havoc looks brill Mal, which model is that?

Pips
August 19th, 2010, 15:38
Does somebody know whether the Australians were present at the Solomons and where?

Hi Hubb,

Here's a brief history of the RAAF involvement in the Solomons.

*No.24 Squadron was based at Vunakanau on Rabaul from Decemeber 1942 until driven out by the Japanese in February 1942. It was equipped with a mix of Wirraway (10) and Hudson's (4).

*No.11 Squadron also operated out of Rabaul during that period, although its base was Port Moresby in New Guinea. No.11 was equipped with a mix of Short Empire and Catalina flying boats. Re-equipped in November 1942 with Catalina's and based at Port Moresby it undertook reconnaissance, mining and rescue operations throughout the Solomons until 1945.

*No.5 Squadron operated Wirraway and Boomerang's over Bougainville from November 1944 to wars end.

* No.6 Squadron, while based on Goodenough Island in November 1943, flew night raids against Rabaul. It was equipped with the Beaufort bomber.

* No.8 Squadron was also based on Goodenough Island from August 1943 to April 1944. during that time it operated anti-shipping missions in and around New Britain.

Most RAAF units operated over New Guinea and points further north and west eg NEI, Morotai, Philippines etc. The Beaufighter was operated by No's 30 and 31 Squadrons, which saw action over New Guinea, Timor and the NEI.

Hope that helps. :)

mal998
August 19th, 2010, 18:51
That A-20 Havoc looks brill Mal, which model is that?

It's the old AS Boston ported over.

Sundog
August 20th, 2010, 07:33
I only have one problem with the scenery. I have a large triangular white Polygon in the water south of San Cristobal. Is anyone else getting this? It doesn't really affect anything, I just happened to notice it yesterday on my first flight to the island.

NoNewMessages
August 20th, 2010, 08:53
A picture or coordinates would help.

Sieggie
August 20th, 2010, 11:04
I saw it there too. Just go to overhead view from the Island and zoom out, you can't miss it.

Dave

mal998
August 20th, 2010, 12:10

Sundog
August 20th, 2010, 12:48

That's it! I guess I should have been more specific, but it is so large I thought it was obvious, but if you haven't seen that you wouldn't know that. I'm guessing it's just an incorrectly labeled landclass, but having not made any terrain/scenery mods for FSX, I just don't know. I'll remember the overhead shot next time. I'm just glad someone else is seeing it and it isn't unique to my system. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not crazy. ;)

NoNewMessages
August 20th, 2010, 13:00
The overhead helps when trying to know which island's scenery files to look at when using the tools of the SDKs.

I can see what's wrong and why, but am pondering a temporary "fix" until Mark returns from his vacation.

NoNewMessages
August 20th, 2010, 13:24
I wouldn't normally "fix" another developer's work, but I know Mark a little bit and do not think he will mind a quick and simple fix. He can make the permanent fix in about 30 seconds when he returns from vacation.

Take the BGL file in the Zip and copy it into the \Solomon 1943 Landscape\scenery folder and all the water should be back.

FAC257
August 20th, 2010, 20:17
Just finished off the complete Solomons recon tour heading out of the area via the northern Japanese bases.

The attention to details made this a very enjoyable exploration. There are things to discover tucked in all over the place.

FAC

roger-wilco-66
August 21st, 2010, 02:21
Just a little note from a beach on the coast of France: it is a pleasure to see that people enjoy this! Love the screen shots!

I see that there is an error with a water polygon near San Cristobal, I will fix that upon returning - thanks NNM for stepping in.

Gotta close now, my little one keeps running away!

Cheers,
Mark

Stan V.
August 21st, 2010, 05:33
Just a little note from a beach on the coast of France: it is a pleasure to see that people enjoy this! Love the screen shots!

I see that there is an error with a water polygon near San Cristobal, I will fix that upon returning - thanks NNM for stepping in.

Gotta close now, my little one keeps running away!

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

It is gratifying to hear that you are enjoying a well deserved vacation with your family. Thank you and also the rest of your team of SOH'ers for all your hard work on this project. You and the others put in a lot of effort on this and it shows. Excellent!

Stan (Maryland, USA)

expat
August 21st, 2010, 08:38
Mark, you did a great job! Now enjoy your vacation.

expat

icycle
August 22nd, 2010, 06:37
I am embarassed to say I have tried unsuccessful with trying to add AI . I am usually fairly good at AFX but I have run into a few snags . I have attempted AGGH , AGBK , and also tried to add a water runway to AGGV-Suavanao which was deleted in the scenery but now places you just inside the treeline close to the Japanese Seaplane Base at Rekata . I have made sure I have a tower and ground communication and add proper parking space that match the particular AC I use . I make sure I use AI AC that I or others have used in other FSX sceneries . Yes , I actually use the "fault finder" at the end and correct any mistakes . I really suspect I may be adding incorrect elevation/altitude numbers which I'm sure would render no AI showing up .

Question : If anyone has made some AFX(AFCAD) files or I should say changes for this scenery and would you mind sharing ????

Would be much appreciated:salute:

Yes, I've tried to add parking spaces to add some extra places to start, if nothing else, but every time I try and add ANYTHING, half of the objects on the airfield disappear. AI flights are certainly a NO GO too.

The lack of other aircraft is making me think I'm in a Stephan King movie!! I'm a bit perplexed.

Bill

Hanimichal
August 22nd, 2010, 10:58
Thanks, wonderful work

Are there any way to carrier/naval traffic unlock for multiplayer?

Sundog
August 22nd, 2010, 15:38
OK, some pics of the fun I've been having.

http://www.sdwaypoint.us/pics/sol1.jpg

http://www.sdwaypoint.us/pics/sol1.jpeg
http://www.sdwaypoint.us/pics/sol2.jpg

http://www.sdwaypoint.us/pics/sol3.jpg

http://www.sdwaypoint.us/pics/sol4.jpg

dogfish
August 22nd, 2010, 18:15
went back to the default scenery to see the difference, all i can say is it is night and day, i definitely need a better computer to really enjoy it. maybe some developers will take notice with what's possible, i know this is not a combat sim, but with the right scenery and effects as You have shown it becomes a whole different experiance. thanks to everyone involved.

expat
August 23rd, 2010, 00:38
AI flights are certainly a NO GO too

Sorry to hear others are having issues with AI in the Solomons with the new scenery. I set up some AI flights e.g. Henderson to Vella, Munda etc and back and they seem to have survived installation of both the beta and final versions of Mark's scenery.

Think I may have had to add some parking to the default airfields to get certain aircraft, e.g. some B-24's needing a larger diameter parking spot, to show up.. I use ADE. Also need to convert the flightplan compiled with TTools with the FS9>FSX converter tool. Had success adding water runways in FS9 and will try that next - need some Black Cat PBY's at Tulagi - and report back.

icycle
August 23rd, 2010, 13:07
I think I got the AI sorted - I think

I found my issue with ADE was that I had not imported all the Solomon's 1943 object libraries into ADE. Once that was done, when I added parking, I did not lose all the custom objects.

I've put in parking spaces at Henderson, Lunga (Fighter 1), and Munda, and have some simple back and forth traffic at this point. With a little massaging, I have F6F's,F4F's,F4U's,SBD's and P-40's around. With a little ambition, I might try some B-24's,B-17's,A-20's & C-47/R4D's next. Finding a suitable A6M,G4M, and maybe a "Mavis" or "Emily", could mean that the Japanese bases might not be too far behind.

Bill

expat
August 24th, 2010, 01:29
I have F6F's,F4F's,F4U's,SBD's and P-40's around. With a little ambition, I might try some B-24's,B-17's,A-20's & C-47/R4D's next. Finding a suitable A6M,G4M, and maybe a "Mavis" or "Emily",

Now that sounds like the just the right plan! It was a busy place then. Interestingly, nothing much ever happened there before or since . .

Regards,

expat

Crusader
August 25th, 2010, 07:14
As most of you know , Japanese AC are few and far between . Found this G4M1 Betty on Flightsim or Avsim ? (g4m1bty.zip) . Visual outside view is good and I primarily plan to use as AI but need some different props . Any suggestions ? The only other Japanese plane I've found thats works very well as an AI is Shockwave's WWII Fighters "Zero" which actually has alittle age to it now . Not only as a AI but flys well in FSX too . There is also a Mavis by "Ito" that I might try as AI . Any other AC suggestions please post as we need Japanese AC to even up the odds .

Rich

Forgot to add I already have the FSX

Nakajima J1N1-S</PRE>

expat
August 26th, 2010, 00:17
Think there is another Mavis by Alphasim, now freeware, you might want to check out.

I had also started to populate the Solomons with Japanese AI aircraft in FS9 before defecting to FSX and got about as far as you have. Problem with FSX is that the CFS2 models offer some nice choices, e.g. Rufe seaplane version of the Zero among others, but these don't show up at all in FSX and the FS9 models often have the prop issue like in your screenie. Sometimes this can be fixed by swapping out other props from a different FSX a/c, sometimes not.

Let us know how things progress.

Crusader
August 26th, 2010, 02:45
expat wrote :"Think there is another Mavis by Alphasim, now freeware, you might want to check out. "

I stand corrected .The Mavis I have is the one from AlphaSim . If I stumble on to anything that works (Japanese) i'll post it .

Thanks for the info ,

Rich

thunder100
August 26th, 2010, 06:38
I have not the AI problem but in general the problem that CFS2 planes dont show in FSX

This has recuced the WW2 japanese planes to a handfull(one hand)

If there are more suggestion then seen here allready-->very very welcome

One still exists and flys is the Donationware(HERE) Oscar

Roland

No Raiden,no Hayabusa,no Shusui,no bombers

Crusader
August 26th, 2010, 06:48
I finally have managed to start populating some of the various bases in this excellent scenery . The one major problem I'm having is seaplane bases . I apparently haven't learned the proper techniques yet . Anyone want to share their (AFX) files or anything I might be able to convert . Specific parking space names(Various AC) no problem . I can always change those in AFX .

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance ,

expat
August 26th, 2010, 07:14
Crusader,

Interested in this as I have yet to create a seaplane base/runway for AI in FSX and very much want to try this in the Solomons. Was just looking at old FS9 AFCADs and reminding myself how I did it before. Will keep you posted how I do using the ADE utility, as and when I get some free time (without "FOS" - family over shoulder).

Regards,

roger-wilco-66
August 26th, 2010, 09:15
Hi guys,

if you can wait a little I can release a version 1.1 of the scenery with the proper AFCAD elements for AI flights from the airfields. Need to make the San Cristobal correction anyhow.
The release was a little hurried because of the vacation that was coming up.

If anyone wants to share work he has already done, please PM me or send an Email to the address mentioned in the release note of the project. All contributed work will be credited there, of course!

Mark, out.

Crusader
August 26th, 2010, 13:18
Can you imagine being a Betty pilot and looking up and seeing this coming down the runway . You might as well grab your scarf and tie it around your neck and take a quick shot of Saki cause you are about to enter "The House Of The Rising Sun" LOL . Having waaaaay too much fun with this scenery Mark . Besides being an excellent piece of work it's also a history lesson in itself with the documentation , maps , units and their locations . If I can just master AFX/AI Flight Planner maybe I can finally start contributing . I am in the process of testing and converting a bunch of Japanese AC I've found on the net and I know a few others are doing the same so maybe one of these days we all can have a bunch of AC to populate the skys and airfields . I'm not a mission builder but maybe some can throw a few together for us . This scenery was made for it . I have messed around with the Weapons Pack that came out early this year but other than bombs most of the weapons are too modern for this era .

<DT style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 14px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; PADDING-TOP: 1px">Goodbye. (long-term) (To my fellow pilots in the Betty)<DD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 12px; PADDING-TOP: 1px">さようなら。 Sayōnara. (sa-YOH-nah-rah)

Rich

</DD>

Cleartheprop
August 28th, 2010, 01:55
Piglet's Kingfisher is a great plane to do some reconnaissance as well......

Cheers,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Solomon_2.jpg

Hello! I am desperatly looking for this Kingfisher by Tim Conrad, FSX version.
Does anyone know where I can get it ?
Thanks!

rohan
August 28th, 2010, 03:57
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10784

Cleartheprop
August 28th, 2010, 05:44
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10784

thanks Rohan, I am very grateful! :ernae:

PRB
August 28th, 2010, 15:51
This scenery is just too much fun. Flew around the Shortland Islands today, off the southern tip of Bougainville. There is tons of Japanese “stuff” out there. Ships, army bases, airports, boats, it's a veritable bee-hive of enemy activity. There was a serious BBQ going down next to the airport on Ballalae Island (AGGE). Not sure what that was all about, but I did a fly over to check it out. Then I found this IJN light cruiser or destroyer. Bot sure of the ID. Looks like a Jinstu or Nagara type CL, but not 100% sure about it. Could be a old DD.

fliger747
August 28th, 2010, 17:30
Three stacks... very light cruiser. Tenryu, Kuma, or Nagara classes.

Two Fletcher's might have been a better use of the sheet metal.....

langereis
September 6th, 2010, 11:39
Hi All,

For the missing P-39/P-400 just look here (link in the FSX forum here at Sim-Outhouse P-39 or P63):
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=42391

http://cr1-software.com/addons/bell-p39-promo/

To fly it in FSX, you need to replace the prop disk texture: Look inside the texture folders and replace the prop3.bmp bitmap with the new DDS bitmap I attached in this ZIPfile: prop3.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17884&d=1283792181)
(See the first link in the FSX forum here at Sim-Outhouse).

Cheershttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

robcap
October 18th, 2010, 10:32
Thanks Mark,

I feel a bit ashamed that I didn't download and install it before.
It's a gem. Off to explore it further!

Cheers, Rob

roger-wilco-66
October 18th, 2010, 23:52
Thanks, Rob.

Just a little information on the project: I'm working on the first update for FSX Solomon 1943. The update will consist of a few error corrections (missing islands, etc), AFCAD elements on major airfields for AI operations, advanced effects and making the area around Bougainiville a bit more hostile as it is now. I also had some ideas if including more static scenarios like downed aircraft, ships or land units in distress, and so on.

I also work on a new project called "FSX WWII Pacific Fleet" which is about 70% done . Here, I ported almost all of Usio's CFS2 ships and some of our SOH members Psullykeys (with his kind permission) as well as a few others to native FSX standard, with bow wakes and shipsmoke and everything. The fleet will consist of around 80 ships, with a large contingent of japanese ships (here alone at least 10 aircraft carriers, and a few of those desperate attempts of the IJN to convert BBs to carriers), as well as british, australian and US vessels and a few civilian contemporary types.
The ships will be AI and in a static bgl for static mooring scenarios.

The ship project must be finished first, because I want to include the new vessels in the Solomon scenario. So it will take another few weeks before it's going to be released.

Cheers,
Mark

expat
October 19th, 2010, 02:46
Just a little information on the project: I'm working on the first update for FSX Solomon 1943.

This all sounds wonderful Mark. Thanks for the continuing fine work.

Sundog
October 19th, 2010, 12:57
Excellent Mark, I'll be looking forward to those updates! I love the "scenarios" you have in it now, such as the flak and the bombed out airfields. It's great having someplace to fly PTO warbirds now.

expat
October 20th, 2010, 03:54
Just finally got my Hellcat out around Bougainville and enjoyed seeing the existing "hostile environment" - particularly the enemy ships and fire and smoke on the island. Making it more hostile and also the downed/distressed plane/ship are great ideas.

Looking forward to the other project featuring Usio's and other ships. Great you were able to do the conversion to FSX. Want to learn more about this as it could make a big difference porting older aircraft models - particulalry CFS2 WWII planes for AI - that others have not succeeded in porting to FSX heretofore!

robcap
October 20th, 2010, 04:10
The ships will be AI and in a static bgl for static mooring scenarios.
The ship project must be finished first, because I want to include the new vessels in the Solomon scenario. So it will take another few weeks before it's going to be released.

WOW, that all sounds wonderfull.
Will you also include Allied carriers?
Will the carriers be landable (in FSX acceleration) with catapults and cables?
Now that would be super!

For some reason I'm into deck launching and trapping.:kilroy:

Cheers, Rob

roger-wilco-66
October 20th, 2010, 08:48
WOW, that all sounds wonderfull.
Will you also include Allied carriers?
Will the carriers be landable (in FSX acceleration) with catapults and cables?
Now that would be super!

For some reason I'm into deck launching and trapping.:kilroy:

Cheers, Rob

There will be three allied carriers:

CV2 Lexington
CV3 Saratoga
HMS Eagle

and around 13 japanese Carriers. If you want to have a look at the ships, here they are:

http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/

Almost all ships are included, except the german ones.

I'm afraid, in the first version, these carriers won't be landable. I would need to penetrate the 3D model with GMAX for that and I do not have the permission from Usio (yet) to do so. It's somewhat a pity, but I respect the work and the terms of usage of the designer and don't want to get into trouble with him. These designs are gourgeous and look great in FSX, so we will have to do with the simple models in the beginning. I still hope I get the permission, though, maybe Usio will even step in himself.

I really look forward to this myself!
Maybe people start building missions (I'm lousy at that) when dense and historical sceneries can be designed with these ships.

Cheers,
Mark

robcap
October 21st, 2010, 00:50
I'm afraid, in the first version, these carriers won't be landable. I would need to penetrate the 3D model with GMAX for that and I do not have the permission from Usio (yet) to do so. It's somewhat a pity, but I respect the work and the terms of usage of the designer and don't want to get into trouble with him. These designs are gourgeous and look great in FSX, so we will have to do with the simple models in the beginning. I still hope I get the permission, though, maybe Usio will even step in himself.That's a pity, but fully understandable. Still, looking forward to the results!

Cheers, Rob

Rich
October 21st, 2010, 01:05
Lost here, where does HMS Eagle come into it ? as far as I know the only British carrier in the area in 1943 was HMS Victorious working with Saratoga

expat
October 21st, 2010, 01:06
What would be great would be to have Usio's ships e.g. enemy task force groups sailing in AI tracks around the islands, and smaller destoyer/cruiser wolf packs (ie Tokyo Express) sailing on tracks in the Slot. Guess I can experiment adding/substituting these AI ships using the existing tracks Dave made.

expat
October 21st, 2010, 01:19
. . . almost forgot! Usio also has some great looking Elco USN PT boats that can be based e.g. at or around Tulagi and Rendova, a la JFK . .

Rich
October 21st, 2010, 01:35
Needs looking at historywise since HMS Eagle was sunk in 1942.

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_eagle.htm

roger-wilco-66
October 21st, 2010, 02:07
. . . almost forgot! Usio also has some great looking Elco USN PT boats that can be based e.g. at or around Tulagi and Rendova, a la JFK . .

If you look closely in the FSX Solomon scenery (which has Usios Elcos as scenery objects), I added the Macambo PT Boat base on that little island in the Tulagi Harbour, as well as the Todd City Navy base at Rendova. Here, PT109 is mooring at the beach... :wiggle:

As for HMS Eagle: my bad. I mistook something here... I already converted it, though. I'll leave it out, maybe I'll make a second package with european ships as a follow up. Thanks for the correction! Nice ship, by the way, very distinctive.

Cheers,
Mark

expat
October 21st, 2010, 04:17
If you look closely in the FSX Solomon scenery (which has Usios Elcos as scenery objects), I added the Macambo PT Boat base on that little island in the Tulagi Harbour, as well as the Todd City Navy base at Rendova. Here, PT109 is mooring at the beach...

Apologies - I obviously need to explore the area further & have much to look forward to!!

dogfish
October 23rd, 2010, 06:57
Really glad to hear that You are expanding the project with more scenery and ships, and now that Mr Usio has allowed the use of His ships, there will be many more possibilities, one o them being able to recreate the final voyage of the Yamato and Her battle group. Thank You.

roger-wilco-66
October 24th, 2010, 06:38
I already converted the Yamato, what a mighty ship this is! The scenario you have mentioned is possible, the ships needed for that are available in the package.

Er, I must mention something which is bugging me a lot, now that you mentioned Usio and his "permission". I wrote several mails in the last half year to Usio, and never got a response from him. I do not know if he is active anymore. Personally, I feel I do not violate his terms of usage he set in the readme file of his ships by porting them to FSX as long as everything is transparent, he gets the credits and the ships are exclusivly distributed as freeware and the original text of his conditions remains in the readme files.
The only thing I am absolutly reluctant about is penetrating and altering his 3d designs without his permission (which is a pity, the carriers look awfully good). I think that's a no-no.

Oh well.

Cheers,
Mark

rohan
October 24th, 2010, 08:40
Mark,
Usio is certainly active in the sense that he has added new or updated ships to his website several times this year. It's obviously disappointing that he has not yet replied to any of your emails, but perhaps if you try one more time ...
regs,
Ro

roger-wilco-66
October 24th, 2010, 09:28
OK, I'll do that. Also, if anyone here knows him or has had contact to him, please shoot me a PM.
I really would like to put this on a solid ground which is not based upon my assumptions.

Thanks,
Mark

dswo
October 26th, 2010, 18:47
From the AVSIM file library. Also uploaded to Flightsim.com.

<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" align="left">Flight Simulator X - Miscellaneous Files (http://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=fsxmisc) </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" width="*"> New! Solomon Islands 1943 AI Boat Traffic </td> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap"> http://library.avsim.net/images/ZipDive.png (http://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=153917) http://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png (http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=153917) </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td> http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=274496 </td> <td width="*"> File Description:
This project was inspired by Mark Schimmer's World War II-era Solomon Islands scenery, with routes are based on his outline. There are two US carrier groups, light carriers, destroyers, supply boats, PT boats, and IJN destroyer patrols. All ship models and textures are included, with permission from their respective authors.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" width="50%"> <tbody><tr> <td width="25%">Filename:</td> <td width="75%">solomon_islands_1943_naval_traffic_18.zip</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">License:</td> <td width="75%">Freeware</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Added:</td> <td width="75%">26th October 2010</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Downloads:</td> <td width="75%">36</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Author:</td> <td width="75%">David Wilson-Okamura, Mike Barnes, Phil Crowther, Mark Fitch, Bruce Fitzgerald, Alberto Garcia, Ron Jeffers, and Ian Thatcher</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Size:</td> <td width="75%">29939kb</td></tr></tbody></table>

robcap
October 27th, 2010, 12:04
Thanks David, took the first flight from the carrier. Looking nice, wiil explore more later.
I hope it will not interfere too much with Mark's enhancement package, we'll see.

Cheers, Rob

ZsoltB
November 28th, 2010, 07:47
Hello,

I use the Solomon 1943 package,
but I encounter such anomalies

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9492/76783524.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/76783524.jpg/)

What causes this phenomenon?
Irritating!

Thank you!

Zsolt

mal998
November 28th, 2010, 11:13
Looks like the trees are more than your video card can handle...try turning down your autogen slider a bit. If that doesn't work your card could be on the blink. What kind of card are you using?

ZsoltB
November 28th, 2010, 12:07
Looks like the trees are more than your video card can handle...try turning down your autogen slider a bit. If that doesn't work your card could be on the blink. What kind of card are you using?

Ati HD5800

ZsoltB
November 30th, 2010, 02:42

Any idea?

dswo
November 30th, 2010, 02:54
Tree spikes = something is overloading FSX. Solution: turn something down. It could be autogen; or, with this scenery, it could be the special effects.

Mark, I wonder if, in the next version, effects could be tied to the scenery slider?

ZsoltB
November 30th, 2010, 03:54
Tree spikes = something is overloading FSX. Solution: turn something down. It could be autogen; or, with this scenery, it could be the special effects.

Mark, I wonder if, in the next version, effects could be tied to the scenery slider?

Thanks for the info!
Immediately try

expat
November 30th, 2010, 04:46
I have experienced on occassion similar effects after simming for a while e.g. 30 minutes near fps intensive scenery, which is caused by heat build up. Improving ventilation outside box and inside by cleaning out dust on fans etc with compressed air (careful to first ground yourself so you don't fry the circuits with static electricity discharges - search/read how to do this correctly) makes a big improvement.

ZsoltB
November 30th, 2010, 04:50
Now I'm only curious as to why the black grabber?

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1521/2010113014414062.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/i/2010113014414062.jpg/)

roger-wilco-66
November 30th, 2010, 05:06

The effect is most likely linked to the autogen slider and the graphic card. I was able to produce a similar - but transient - effect on my Nvidia 9600 GTO card. It only showed when panning around the aircraft in flight. Turning the autogen down, as suggested, should be the remedy (or better, get a new graphic card). I think this is a texture problem, induced by not enough RAM on the gfx card.

The scenery effects can not be tied to a FSX slider (at least AFAIK), because they are fixed, static elements in the scenery. The only scenery objects you can control with sliders are autogen objects and AI.

Sorry guys, the Solomon update is still cooking. Had a bit of a hiatus for a few weeks because of r/l obligations.

Cheers,
Mark

ZsoltB
November 30th, 2010, 05:12
The effect is most likely linked to the autogen slider and the graphic card. I was able to produce a similar - but transient - effect on my Nvidia 9600 GTO card. It only showed when panning around the aircraft in flight. Turning the autogen down, as suggested, should be the remedy (or better, get a new graphic card). I think this is a texture problem, induced by not enough RAM on the gfx card.

The scenery effects can not be tied to a FSX slider (at least AFAIK), because they are fixed, static elements in the scenery. The only scenery objects you can control with sliders are autogen objects and AI.

Sorry guys, the Solomon update is still cooking. Had a bit of a hiatus for a few weeks because of r/l obligations.

Cheers,
Mark

This is my configuration:

RAM 2GB
Graphics card Ati Radeon HD5800 1GB

From then on, I do not understand

Zsolt

roger-wilco-66
December 1st, 2010, 01:51
This is my configuration:

RAM 2GB
Graphics card Ati Radeon HD5800 1GB

From then on, I do not understand

Zsolt

Hmmm, 1 gig should be enough, there must be another bottle neck.
I'd suggest that you set the autogen slider to sparse and see if the problem still persists.
That would proof where the problem is located.

BTW, there are much more demanding sceneries out there than Solomon 1943. Besides the trees, there are absolutely no other autogen objects, for example.

HTH
Mark

ZsoltB
December 1st, 2010, 02:30
Hello Mark,

Yes!

The slider has improved things
So far, Very Desne was
Now the Dense was enough

Thanks!

Regards,

Zsolt

sambt
December 1st, 2010, 16:49

Cheers,
Mark

I am enjoying your Solomons scenery. I am a fan of the PTO and your work in this area has been a blessing. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Is there a way I can help, with maybe a small donation?

Thanks again

Sam

Meshman
December 2nd, 2010, 06:24

Effects get coded as any other BGLComp item and the XML allows for the density toggle;

<SceneryObject
lat="20.8247357"
lon="-156.5560077"
alt="0"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
heading="0"
imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<LibraryObject
name="{16d8c12c-1f60-4914-a84d-e51fbd28d190}"
scale="1" />
</SceneryObject>

<SceneryObject
lat="20.8247357"
lon="-156.5560077"
alt="26.87M"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
heading="310.995483398438"
imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<Effect
effectName="fx_AAX_Red30"
effectParams="DAWN=1"/>
</SceneryObject>

Wind generator and flashing red light sitting on the top.

mfitch
December 7th, 2010, 19:05
Finally I have had time to begin exploring this scenery. Using Just Flight's F4F-4 Wildcat I started at Henderson Airfiled and have worked my way to Buka Airfield stopping at various fields along the way. This has been great fun. The amount of detail is amazing. I am considering switching to a ground vehicle after landing to explore more.

There have been some issues with frame rates, but I can't figure out what is causing it, since most of the time they are fine. The optimization web site (other thread) did seem to help some.

fliger747
December 8th, 2010, 09:40
I have probably mentioned this before, but I use this scenery to test fly some of the WWII aircraft that I have been or am currently testing such as the AT-11, F7F series, P-61, XP-47J. That along with Michael Davies great Essex boats sailing down (or up) the slot makes for a terrific period test area.

newcomer
June 23rd, 2011, 11:57
Does anybody know if that scenery is still available somewhere?

hawkdriver
June 23rd, 2011, 13:54
Been lookin for three days and can't find a valid link.
Hawkdriver

rayhere48
June 23rd, 2011, 21:34
Can't seem to find a active link to the scenery. Can some helpful person direct me to a download source?

lazarus
June 24th, 2011, 10:44
I'm looking for it, when a link manifests ,I'll post it. As the saying goes; 'Please stand by...'

Roger
June 24th, 2011, 11:12
Last I heard Mark was looking to update the package as there was some issue with some scenery elements.

roger-wilco-66
June 26th, 2011, 01:15
Hi guys,

the download is suspended and I work on a second release due to a copyright problem - I need to replace a few scenery objects (houses, huts, tower etc).
It might take some time, because I'm a bad scenery object designer. If anybody could lend me a hand it would go along faster!

Cheers,
Mark

CrisGer
July 9th, 2011, 14:20
I hope the project can be put back on the air, look forward to seeing it.

trucker17
September 19th, 2011, 15:53
the black and whites were sent by a friend in washington....they are from VMF214s file

roger-wilco-66
September 19th, 2011, 21:14
Nice images, trucker, thanks.

I want to do a few corrections on Munda airbase for the update. These images help a lot, because they show the area around Kokengolo Hill nicely.

Cheers,
Mark

TuFun
September 19th, 2011, 22:43
Hey Mark... I flew over Kahili to check out the flak as you suggested. #1 engine got hit on the B-25, feathered prop and landed on a beach. Waiting to be rescued.

Flak was heavy around 7k to 9k... thanks for letting my know about this.

roger-wilco-66
September 19th, 2011, 22:58
Hey Mark... I flew over Kahili to check out the flak as you suggested. #1 engine got hit on the B-25, feathered prop and landed on a beach. Waiting to be rescued.

Flak was heavy around 7k to 9k... thanks for letting my know about this.

Send in a PBY :-) The USN PT boat base Todd City over near Randova (just a bit to the west of Munda across the channel, where Kennedy's PT109 was stationed) is a good starting point for a rescue mission. With a bit of luck you'll see PT109 mooring in the harbour....

Glad you like it!

Cheers,
Mark

TuFun
September 19th, 2011, 23:19
Cool flak effects...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2011-09-1923-54-33-92bmp.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2011-09-2000-04-29-47.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2011-09-2000-07-17-53.jpg

fliger747
September 20th, 2011, 22:35
Ya should be able to fly single engine back to Henderson? Unless of course the beach was lined with young ladies....

Mark: Thanks for the great addon!

trucker17
September 21st, 2011, 20:59
Nice images, trucker, thanks.

I want to do a few corrections on Munda airbase for the update. These images help a lot, because they show the area around Kokengolo Hill nicely.

Cheers,
Mark

Glad they help....Like everyone else...I am waiting for final to release....In mean time i will see what my friend can get in photos surrounding the basees buildings, if there are any around of the area...

trucker17
September 21st, 2011, 21:23
Cool flak effects...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX WW2 Aviation/fsx2011-09-1923-54-33-92bmp.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX WW2 Aviation/fsx2011-09-2000-04-29-47.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX WW2 Aviation/fsx2011-09-2000-07-17-53.jpg

I have heard that Vertigo Studios is currently working on a new version of the B-25 Billy Mitchell.....Can hardly wait to get my hands on it......you can view the progress in the FORUM section.......If you have not been their before, go to products, click on any aircraft, scroll down....On right side of screen will be area with( Visit forum,,,Download PDF manual,,,,Download product paintkit,,,,and product support......) click visit forum....B-25 will be towards bottom of list....

roger-wilco-66
September 22nd, 2011, 05:18
I also look forward to the Vertigo B-25, and also very much for the RAZBAM Helldiver!
I hope that they release it not too soon, though, because that would keep me from working on the Solomon update...:isadizzy:

The update, which first had the goal to just to bring the package back online ASAP again, went a bit over the top. I made a lot of error corrections in the scenery, rebuild a few areas, and most of all restructured the scenery libraries, and that is a hell of a work, because of the numerous objects. That work is still not finished....

Cheers,
Mark

Crusader
September 22nd, 2011, 06:29
I also look forward to the Vertigo B-25, and also very much for the RAZBAM Helldiver!
I hope that they release it not too soon, though, because that would keep me from working on the Solomon update...:isadizzy:

The update, which first had the goal to just to bring the package back online ASAP again, went a bit over the top. I made a lot of error corrections in the scenery, rebuild a few areas, and most of all restructured the scenery libraries, and that is a hell of a work, because of the numerous objects. That work is still not finished....

Cheers,
Mark

Mark , we all are really looking forward to the Solomon's update . It is really relaxing flying in a B25 , PBY , or whatever your AC of choice is , on a bright moonlit night over the Solomon Islands(especially Kahilli) at 7-8000 ft until the AAA starts lighting up the sky . :icon_lol: Absolutely outstanding scenery, effects , objects etc and it sounds like the update is going to make something already great even greater .

Rich:guinness::guinness::ernae:

roger-wilco-66
September 29th, 2011, 12:10
Thanks guys and gals.

I worked most things over now except some glitches on the airfields (floating bomb-craters and stuff like that) and decided to add something to the intermediate update now. I converted about 70 aircraft from FS9 (with the permissions of the authors or copyright holders, of course) to native FSX static aircraft and can add 4 new libraries to the Solomon objects now. Tonight was my first scenery try with US fighters and they show up real good. My biggest worry was that the static models rob a lot of FPS, but I threw 30 different aircraft on a field and still got 30 FPS on my lowly system. Phew!!

Here are a couple of pictures:

Now I have to populate the airfields with them...

Cheers,
Mark

Roger
September 29th, 2011, 14:21
Great stuff Mark:ernae:

lazarus
September 29th, 2011, 14:28
:jawdrop:Wow! The last version was crazy. how in the heck do you find the time for that. You snapped up all the unemployed elves from the workshop made redundant when St.Nick out sourced to china, didn't you?

TuFun
September 29th, 2011, 14:54
Roger... Project Solomon Islands is a fantastic add-on, and plan on producing another movie. Looking forward to the update.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2011-09-2712-21-15-89bmp.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2011-09-2712-26-04-30bmp.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2011-09-2915-28-22-92.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2011-09-2915-21-14-29.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2011-09-2915-18-42-54.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2011-09-2915-29-33-71.jpg

roger-wilco-66
September 29th, 2011, 22:48
Tufun, nice shots! What effect causes the water spray on the side of the moving IJN patrol ship, if I may ask? Looks very authentic! I had to laugh because a british commando must have taken the ship over and replaced the Rising Sun with the Union Jack. That ship (and all the others) are also already updated, by the way. I changed the alpha channel properties of the windows of the bridge for example, now you can see through them and there's a lot of stuff in there :-)

I don't spend very much time on the project (I can't, because of family / job / other interests), but when I get active I seem to be productive :-) I use the same methods like at my IT job: structuring the work on the project helps a lot (action item lists etc) and prevents unproductive or frustrating chaos. No need for St. Nick's unemployed elves!

Cheers, and thanks for your moral support,
Mark

TuFun
September 30th, 2011, 10:41
Not into ships, but wanted to check out this add-on to see how it operates and maybe use it as a point of view for fly overs. I thought the same, was going to remove the flag or replace it with Japanese flag.

The bow spray is one the effects file in the package... WWII-Frigate/Effects/FSX_AI_ship_BOW_SPRAY_l.fx

Description:
FSX features for a pilotable WWII frigate ("grumman_wildcat-ruler_class_cve_royal_navy.zip" from the "Retro Carrier Group" required). This japanese warship from Mark Schimmer is originally used as scenery object or as a generic escort ai-ship (with british flags) within the addon from the Retro Carrier Group. My AddOn provides a pilotable ship with bridge, sounds and special effects like forward firing AA-guns or exploding depth charges, causing a oil leak at a hitten submarine. 7 camera views let you explore the ship: Standing at the stern you can see the detailed deck or you can turn around to handle the AA-gun. Man 3 of 5 triple AA-guns, stand on the fly bridge or at the bow, fire the AA-gun at the front deck or the main turret. Bitmaps and configuration by Erwin Welker

roger-wilco-66
October 3rd, 2011, 13:09
[...]
This japanese warship from Mark Schimmer is originally used as scenery object or as a generic escort ai-ship

[...]

Holy cow, that is not a creation of mine, just for the record. Usio made it and I merely converted it from CFS2, which is a lot of work, nevertheless.
Thanks for the head up, anyways, I'll contact Erwin for some ideas on a WW2 Pacific fleet....

Cheers,
Mark

TuFun
October 3rd, 2011, 16:49
Hey Mark, have any pics of your work in progress? -Ted

roger-wilco-66
October 4th, 2011, 09:22
Hey Mark, have any pics of your work in progress? -Ted

Yes, I brought the static japanes aircraft library into the test scenery, but I once again saw that some of the textures are messed up. I'll have to redo the some of them from the beginning, don't know where the fault started (probably during the drawcall reduction). But the G4Ms, the Ki102 and the Tenrai showed up flawless!

Cheers,
Mark

TuFun
October 4th, 2011, 10:39
Nicely done Mark... making good use of Gary's jeep! ;)

roger-wilco-66
October 4th, 2011, 12:07
Not into ships, but wanted to check out this add-on to see how it operates and maybe use it as a point of view for fly overs. I thought the same, was going to remove the flag or replace it with Japanese flag.

Just replace the flag texture of the ship with the original one with the rising sun from the Solomon scenery! It's called YAKU-ESCORT-VESSEL_2.DDS and resides in the solomon objects \texture\ folder.

Cheers,
Mark

rayhere48
October 4th, 2011, 12:18
So I take it that this scenery is still not ready yet. I keep hoping, the pictures sure look good.

TuFun
October 4th, 2011, 13:13
Just replace the flag texture of the ship with the original one with the rising sun from the Solomon scenery! It's called YAKU-ESCORT-VESSEL_2.DDS and resides in the solomon objects \texture\ folder.

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks Mark for the info! -Ted

TuFun
October 4th, 2011, 14:22
Ok... proper flag hoisted!

roger-wilco-66
October 4th, 2011, 23:42
So I take it that this scenery is still not ready yet. I keep hoping, the pictures sure look good.

As a matter of fact, I could release it now, but it would incorporate quite a few glitches that I built in by error or lack of experience in the first version. Besides that, some new sources of effects and scenery objects opened up, and I want to employ at least a few of them in this intermediate update.
So it is still in the works indeed, but the wait will be worth it, I think...

Cheers,
Mark

P38man
October 5th, 2011, 00:32
I am really looking forward to this.

Be a real buzz flying over it with the new A2A Mustang!

Will a certain avsim reviewer's ship package be compatible or not needed ? Love the flags!

roger-wilco-66
October 5th, 2011, 01:33
I am really looking forward to this.

Be a real buzz flying over it with the new A2A Mustang!

Will a certain avsim reviewer's ship package be compatible or not needed ? Love the flags!

You mean Davids (dswo) Solomon naval traffic package? Yes indeed, he made it for the FSX Solomon 1943, and it is an addon. It adds a lot of liveliness to the scenario!

Cheers,
Mark

P38man
October 6th, 2011, 01:02
That is great news.

Thank you so much for this !

TuFun
October 7th, 2011, 08:41
Testing the waters around Mark's Solomon Islands scenery... taking a little cruise IJN ship!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuF87Rzyw48

trucker17
October 10th, 2011, 22:52
Testing the waters around Mark's Solomon Islands scenery... taking a little cruise IJN ship!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuF87Rzyw48

The picts are looking great.....Going to have fantastic detail from what i can see......I dont know about everyone else....But take your time.....The more eye candy the better.....
Still dont see "Pappy" LOL...

fxsttcb
October 11th, 2011, 02:58
Yessir! Thanks and take your time Mark. It looks incredible so far. Thanks also to Ted, for the added look see.
I have my VMO-251 (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?234059-Marine-Corps-Squadron-251&p=1587050#post1587050)(Espiritu Santo) planes almost all painted properly in '42-'43 colors, waiting for their Recon missions over the Solomons.
Doggone ketchup commercial keeps running thru my head...Don

TuFun
October 11th, 2011, 12:51
Quick flight exploring the Islands! A little test flight of this P-61... didn't like my FSX. :frown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRFARPFzTFQ

trucker17
November 29th, 2011, 02:02
Quick flight exploring the Islands! A little test flight of this P-61... didn't like my FSX. :frown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRFARPFzTFQ

Mark.
Any word yet on the scenery.....all i have seen it looks great....

fxsttcb
November 29th, 2011, 03:51
Christmas is coming up. ??...Don

roger-wilco-66
November 30th, 2011, 01:07
After I had somewhat of a hiatus form FSX over the summer I started working on the scenery again October, but then about four weeks ago I had a fatal crash of my system disk.
I was able to recover most of my work, but it is a bit of a disorganized mess.
Then I also did my thing with the Iwo Jima scenery and develop two applications for FSX scenery design (converting Google-Earth vector lines into the SBuilderX SBX data format for importing, and automatically correcting anomalies in the raw ASTER DEM Data for the use as high-res mesh in FSX). So time is a bit scarce, oh well.
Good thing is that my corrections (about 40) to the scenery and the airfield are saved. If I can get the libraries straightened out I could release it soon, and I think I'll do that. It won't be as far as I had planned, but it's better than the first release and without a certain issue.
I'll depart by the mid of December for a 6 week trip to Southeast-Asia, and I would like to push it out before leaving. Way to go!

And then there's that thing with Christmas... :mixedsmi:

Cheers,
Mark

trucker17
December 9th, 2011, 20:15
Mark.
Hope to see the scenery available for down load soon....If not have a great christmas, and happy new year.....Will be waiting for scenery when you have it finished.
Trucker17

roger-wilco-66
December 11th, 2011, 13:53
Trucker, and to all who wait for this,
I thought I could upload it this night, but I ran into problems with a load of scenery objects that were so massive that I can't release it now. I'm off for a five week trip to southeast-asia in a few hours, so there won't be time anymore to correct anything. Sorry to say that.
I also gave the Iwo Jima project a bit of priority so Tom can go ahead with a solid basis concerning the design of the island.

Anyhow, in advance, a merry christmas and happy new year to you all,
Mark

stovall
December 11th, 2011, 15:04
Trucker, and to all who wait for this,
I thought I could upload it this night, but I ran into problems with a load of scenery objects that were so massive that I can't release it now. I'm off for a five week trip to southeast-asia in a few hours, so there won't be time anymore to correct anything. Sorry to say that.
I also gave the Iwo Jima project a bit of priority so Tom can go ahead with a solid basis concerning the design of the island.

Anyhow, in advance, a merry christmas and happy new year to you all,
Mark

And to be sure I really appreciated Mark adjusting the color situation and making Iwo Jima essentially what it must have looked like May - July 1945. With the delay of the Solomon Islands scenery objects this will delay the release of Iwo Jima as well. Testing will continue to make the final Iwo Jima scenry something very special. Have a great vacation Mark!!!

trucker17
December 19th, 2011, 16:35
And to be sure I really appreciated Mark adjusting the color situation and making Iwo Jima essentially what it must have looked like May - July 1945. With the delay of the Solomon Islands scenery objects this will delay the release of Iwo Jima as well. Testing will continue to make the final Iwo Jima scenry something very special. Have a great vacation Mark!!!True....But seeing the work going into both sceneries they will be spectacular.....Have a great holiday season, and see you next year.....

fxsttcb
February 26th, 2012, 14:23
Getting a lot of practice in, while I wait! Iwo and this one are gonna be awesome...Don

trucker17
March 6th, 2012, 22:42
Just wondering if their is any word on the Solomons as of yet

roger-wilco-66
March 6th, 2012, 23:08
I'm at it again, no worries! :wavey:

I did a large number of corrections and reviewed the complete scenery, that part is finished now. Unfortunately, while restructuring the object libraries, I produced an error which I noticed too late. I already had build them. So I have to redo quite a few entries, which is very time consuming (Tom Stovall knows what that means :-) ).

Cheers,
Mark

stovall
March 7th, 2012, 06:23
Yes I certainly do understand and appreciate the time involed. You guys waiting for Solomon Islands have a real treat in store. To say the least, Roger-Wilco-66 has real talent. This is going to be fantastic.

trucker17
March 13th, 2012, 19:28
Thanks for the update....
I will be waiting for the scenery.....

trucker17
March 27th, 2012, 10:28
I'm at it again, no worries! :wavey:

I did a large number of corrections and reviewed the complete scenery, that part is finished now. Unfortunately, while restructuring the object libraries, I produced an error which I noticed too late. I already had build them. So I have to redo quite a few entries, which is very time consuming (Tom Stovall knows what that means :-) ).

Cheers,
Mark

Thx for the update...and again thx for the help with the airport build advice...all is going good sofar...the ADEX system is new to me, and works great....espically when you figure out everything....

roger-wilco-66
March 28th, 2012, 02:33
Glad ADEX works for you, Trucker.

For what it's worth here, a short update:

The Solomon progression came to a intermediate stop, because I work with Tom Stovall on Chi Chi Jima 1945 and worked out some new techniques in my scenery design for that.
E.g., I developed a new application to import traced vector lines from google Earth to SBuilderX, which was a huge success and allows very accurate and high resolution contours of coastlines or other scenery elements like paths or roads or small rivers, lakes....
The new Bonin Islands (I did the whole island chain consisting of 92 islands) are really something to be seen!
Then I developed a workflow that allows original reconnaissance aerial photos to be used as a basis for a photo scenery on FSX airfields. Tom and I research on the best way to use that on the Susaki airfield of Chi Chi Jima, and it looks marvellous, very original and not as sterile as when you work with standard FSX AFCAD scenery elements.
I also develop a new coast line, that has rocks and bump mapping, as well as a few new landclass textures, e.g. palm plantations, that were very common in the Solomons.
I want to employ this at least on some airfields like Munda, Seghi or Henderson in the Solomons, and Chi Chi is my test bed for that. So there's a lot going on, as you can see.

Cheers,
Mark

trucker17
August 11th, 2012, 14:51

The Solomon progression came to a intermediate stop, because I work with Tom Stovall on Chi Chi Jima 1945 and worked out some new techniques in my scenery design for that.
E.g., I developed a new application to import traced vector lines from google Earth to SBuilderX, which was a huge success and allows very accurate and high resolution contours of coastlines or other scenery elements like paths or roads or small rivers, lakes....
The new Bonin Islands (I did the whole island chain consisting of 92 islands) are really something to be seen!
Then I developed a workflow that allows original reconnaissance aerial photos to be used as a basis for a photo scenery on FSX airfields. Tom and I research on the best way to use that on the Susaki airfield of Chi Chi Jima, and it looks marvellous, very original and not as sterile as when you work with standard FSX AFCAD scenery elements.
I also develop a new coast line, that has rocks and bump mapping, as well as a few new landclass textures, e.g. palm plantations, that were very common in the Solomons.
I want to employ this at least on some airfields like Munda, Seghi or Henderson in the Solomons, and Chi Chi is my test bed for that. So there's a lot going on, as you can see.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark.....
Thx for all the help you have been while i was getting use to ADEX......
I have found alot of aircraft and have been making use of its ability to add them to sceneries....
I would also like to update and add some other buildings as well.....
One airport i am working on is very large....Main runway is 15,000 feet, just short of the shuttles runway at Edwards... The buildings with ADEX are ok, but i would like some custome buildings to add....Is their someplace i could get the downloads from....I tried to do a search for them but got nothing.....
Also, ADEX includes a billboard in their list....Is their anyway i can add a message to it before adding it to the scenery?
I am also looking for a couple of more planes....the Hawker harrier jet as a static aircraft, and the Boeing 377 as a static aircraft...Any ideas ?...

trucker17
August 11th, 2012, 14:55

Cheers,
Mark

Almost forgot.....
Word thru grapevine.....
Vertigo Studios Aircraft carrier CV-6, the Enterprise, is currently in game being tested....the screens look great, and will be a nice addition to the Solomons scenery....