PDA

View Full Version : So, who owns this place, anyway?

Bone
August 11th, 2010, 07:38
In another thread, JMIG makes reference to the only member at SOH who is always right...the person who owns this place. That got me to thinking...who owns this place? I lurked here for about two years before joining, but it's never registered with me on who this might be. I know there are those that put their blood, sweat, and bouts of absolute frustration into the SOH, but that's all I have.

Who's the King!?? :)

Butcherbird17
August 11th, 2010, 08:05
As far as i know there are 2 founding members to SOH, (Canelo_kid and Ickie) there may be a few more. As to who owns SOH i believe that is Canelo_kid (could be wrong). Its been so long that i have been a member here i don't remember. I was a member of cfs2online (aka Netwings) when i first learned about SOH, i think the site was rather new at the time and no where as big as it is today. Come to think about it, i think this site goes back to cfs1 hayday. I'm sure one of the older members here will put the record straight. Willy would know as he has been a member here from the beginning.

Joe

Willy
August 11th, 2010, 09:15
There were 3 founding members of SOH, Canelo Kid, TekWorm and Ickie. Henry and I came in like the next day. Plus Panther very soon after. The ancestor site of SOH, Combat Flight Center was started by Wreckerman in 1998 but CK ran it for him. Tek, Ickie and I were on the staff there (Henry might have been too, but I didn't know him that well back then). There was a falling out about 2000ish and Tek decided to start his own site, got us onboard and named it Sim Outhouse.

Basically Ickie has been running the show for the past few years. Tek retired due to health reasons and CK works in the background.

Bone
August 11th, 2010, 09:30
Thanks for history, Willy.

Ickie
August 11th, 2010, 13:41
when SOH first started Tek owned the name, Ck owned the scripts and I owned the server.

Everyone said we would never make it work.

Henry
August 11th, 2010, 18:31
i seem to recall there was one other
who's name is not mentioned often
Douglas
he always gets left out
and he does not deserve that
he has been working in the background for years
quietly, not complaining, never stopping his work
H

Tako_Kichi
August 11th, 2010, 18:38
As I understand it without Douglas there would be no file library!

Bravo Douglas! :salute::ernae:

Panther_99FS
August 11th, 2010, 18:50
The ancestor site of SOH, Combat Flight Center was started by Wreckerman in 1998 .

Phew!
Talk about a blast from the past!

Lionheart
August 11th, 2010, 19:21
And Panther had the highest posts I have ever seen of mankind... He was the actual poster of NewsHawks. I think that the great rebellion though of 2008 against the monster women he would post on actually hindered his popularity. That or he now hangs out at the gym now ALL THE TIME......

:d

Willy
August 11th, 2010, 20:02
Yep, I forgot about Douglas. He's saved our bacon with the file library many times. I remember once I was going to "help him" and promptly got told to keep my fingers out of it before I mucked things up for him.

Willy
August 11th, 2010, 20:07
Another blast from the past. Back in the CFC days we had Ted Rogers (Trog100) on the staff. He got tired of flight sims about the time we had the falling out at CFC and never made the move to here. I sure miss him at times as he was quite the character.

Ickie
August 12th, 2010, 01:31
I remember once I ask CK "Who The Hell Is Henry"

Ickie
August 12th, 2010, 01:41
Here is more tid bits,

Most everyone hated Ickie Berleim because he had all these IBA Mods and one had 13,000 guns, they ruled the Zone. I had a P-51 MOD that would pass the security check to get into stock rooms and kill everyone. Very few would fly against me on the zone.

Ickie Berleim was a name I created with address and CC and everyone thought that it was my real name, what a mess I had to straighten this out, even the Government thought Ickie was real.

For the first 3 years I paid for the bandwidth and server upgrades out of my pocket.

Once we had 5 servers, thats why we have all the dot com names. Our servers were in Canada at Tera-Byte in Alberta Canada. They had the best deals on bandwidth.

Once we gave everyone an email account, what a ******* headake and I still get spam from some of these accounts. ickie@sohmail.com

Netwings.org use to be our sister website It saved our butts many times, thanks Neil.

Ickie
August 12th, 2010, 02:05
Here is a little known tid bit.
When SOH first came online Tom Woods "crash woodie" promised Tek a server but never delivered, after 3 weeks and several low cost/free servers from companies that advertised unlimited space and bandwidth, gave CK the boot.......... I offered my brand new state of the art web server, it had a 550 MHz processor and 256 MB of memory and a 80 GB hard drive. Tek at first turned me down than another one of them unlimited companies gave CK the boot again and tom and his promises never came through, Canelo_Kid called me.

I was the Panel man with a forum I ran it along with Mopar Mike.

Tek was the Police Man.
Douglas was the librarian
CK was the script mechanic
Willy was the hummm, what the hell did Willy do? lol

Tek had his own website called Tek's Outhouse, thats why we used outhouse in our name.

Ickie
August 12th, 2010, 02:18
Back in 2000 everyone had dial up and most planes were about 1-2 MB's.
I was one of the first to have Cable internet offered by Excite and Cox

Over the years I made 10,000 calls to Canelo_Kid in Arizona from Florida.

We were a Combat FS website until Tek brought in Roger around 2002 to run the Flight Sim Forum and Roger was well known in the Flight Sim World and so we started down the road of the Flight Sim 2002 and above. Back than very few used the Flight Sim Forum, lol

Toastmaker
August 12th, 2010, 02:52
Very interesting history of the 'early days" !

Ickie
August 12th, 2010, 03:33
this is another tidbit,
When IL2 first came out SOH hosted their website for the first year.

Henry
August 12th, 2010, 05:24
I remember once I ask CK "Who The Hell Is Henry"
LOL now ya know
i was never a mod at cfc but i did get very verbal when the break up happened
Tek invited me info the fold the first day the SOH opened
my hair was dark then:salute:.
Actually we have hosted a few sites
over the years with all thanks to Ickie for watching over them

H

yank51
August 12th, 2010, 06:17
WOW, neat thread to say the least... And Henry, you probably had more of it too...!!! :mixedsmi:

Chacha
August 12th, 2010, 08:37
Wow, that is a great HISTORY of SOH.
For 10+years (is it eleven plus years?)
Some tried to attack but
SOH is getting stronger!

BRAVO SOH!
:ernae:

We can display the "History Of SOH" by the front door!
On the main entrance, next to the concierge...
Over looking the BAR!
:)

Astoroth
August 12th, 2010, 11:23
Back in 2000 everyone had dial up and most planes were about 1-2 MB's.
I was one of the first to have Cable internet offered by Excite and Cox

Yup, I remember when cable was first starting up. Playing CFS on the Zone, and trying to get an open slot on anyone with the tag "cable host" on their room info. Finally one of the guys in our squadron got cable, and man did our rooms get popular all of a sudden, lol!

crashaz
August 12th, 2010, 12:22
I do miss P's errrr....landings.

:d

CH_OldZeke
August 12th, 2010, 13:03
Cool thread :)
And I remembered most all the names too ;)

crashaz
August 12th, 2010, 13:45
Yep Zeke I remember you too from back in the day. I have only been a regular forum member since 2002.

Henry
August 12th, 2010, 18:58
Cool thread :)
And I remembered most all the names too ;)
thats it bring them on
nice to see old faces
theres a bunch of people who have been here since then
some we forget wees getting older too
H

HundertzehnGustav
August 12th, 2010, 20:30
this is another tidbit,
When IL2 first came out SOH hosted their website for the first year.

What the funk? wow!

Ickie
August 13th, 2010, 10:28
IL2 ..... Olig was Russian and money was hard to come up with and nobody would help him get this off the ground.
Canelo and myself talked this over and bought a server and put them into it for the first year, I think the website was called IL2 Central. We both got a free CD before it came out.
They got in contact with us through a girl we all knew as Diamond Debbie, she had many names and faces, lol. She was part of the original IL2 crew.

Mickey D
August 13th, 2010, 11:31
Hey good stuff there chaps. Ickie it's OK to say titbits over here. :) They can't touch you for it.

TARPSBird
August 13th, 2010, 12:40
This is quite a trip down Memory Lane. I remember so many folks from back when I first got into flight sim and found CFS2 Online and then the Outhouse. Tekworm, Hawkeye and Moparmike were among the first guys to answer my questions and help me out. I remember Jeff "Ranger" Hendricks' very helpful list of websites for downloads and info. Great bunch of people, then and now.

HouseHobbit
August 13th, 2010, 12:54
WOW I remember all of this,

Yea Ickie, I remember your super mods for CFS, LOL...

And CombatFS, and the begining of SOH..
I seems like a lifetime ago, I do miss the online dogfights, and the fun it all was..

And I remember Teks outhouse also..Netwings and combatfs were big in CFS days and as CFS2 came out..
Then CFS3 which if I remember some were Not impressed with in the begining.

I had a account here at SOH from the begining, but lost the internet for a few years and had to re-register..
Boy.. this has been a walk down menory lane..
Thanks all for this great information..

To the crew..:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

CH_OldZeke
August 13th, 2010, 15:40
IL2 ..... Olig was Russian and money was hard to come up with and nobody would help him get this off the ground.
Canelo and myself talked this over and bought a server and put them into it for the first year, I think the website was called IL2 Central. We both got a free CD before it came out.
They got in contact with us through a girl we all knew as Diamond Debbie, she had many names and faces, lol. She was part of the original IL2 crew.

Deb is still about, she posts occasionaly at cfsipgames.

HundertzehnGustav
August 14th, 2010, 13:43
people come and people go...
history of life.
even i hang about this place, and have done so for the last 8, 9 years.
a few people i miss... others not so much.
good to see the old guard still firmly holding the steering wheel.
*sigh* getting old...