PDA

View Full Version : Animating aircraft fuselage doors

Sid2008
August 11th, 2010, 07:06
Hi, in Makemdl I only know of 2 tags "F_canopy" and R_canopy" to get the doors to open and shut when Shift E is pressed in FS.

Some folks have put in multiple doors and have animated them so they open and shut when one presses Shift E 1/2/3/4.

I was wondering if there are any other tags in Makemdl vis which i could animate fuselage doors. Do these animate using keyframe 0 (shut) and keyframe 100 (open)?

Thanks,
Sid

Milton Shupe
August 11th, 2010, 09:55
You can also use door_passenger for shift + E, but those you mentioned are the ones to use.
There used to be a door_cargo for shift +E, 2 but that no longer works.

If FSDS uses makemdl.parts.xml, you can use a gauge to better control the doors individually.

You might find xml already avaiable over at FFDS in the working xml code library forum.

http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=XML

Sid2008
August 11th, 2010, 12:01
OK Milton, so what is the XML code library all about? Is it some way of modifying Makemdl?

If so, how is that accomplished?

Milton Shupe
August 11th, 2010, 16:39
OK Milton, so what is the XML code library all about? Is it some way of modifying Makemdl?

If so, how is that accomplished?

The makemdl.parts.xml is an editable configuration file that allows you to define additional animation tags or build 3D gauges to be included in your model.

When you export your project, the makemdl.parts.xml code is included in the model by default. It contains, as shipped, all the documented and useable animation tags.

You can open the file with notepad and edit it directly. The language is xml. The format and constructs are rigid but you can learn as you go, and copy useable code from available forums, or copy existing code, and modify it.

You usually add your code at the beginning of the file to make it easily accessible, and if it does not work, none of the code will work so that is a good indicator of success. :)

You will find this file in the C:\gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\plugins if that is where you have gmax installed. Open it and browse through it to get an idea what is there.