PDA

View Full Version : FSX Repaints Help

mmann
August 10th, 2010, 06:25
I have created a number of float plane bases on Vancouver Island for ORBX PNW but I would like to create some semi-realistic AI traffic. I have converted the default FSX Beaver to fly acceptably as an AI aircraft but I would like to use some repaints other than just Kenmore Air. What tools do you experts here at SOH use to create your masterpieces? Not that I expect to turn out any masterpieces, I'm not that artistic, but I would at least like to create repaints of some of the local air carriers that would somewhat resemble their corporate colours.

Regards, Mike Mann

falcon409
August 10th, 2010, 07:57
There are three that seem most popular, each having it's own intensely loyal fan base, lol. . .they are
Paint Shop Pro
Adobe Photoshop
Gimp

. . . .also, PhotoPlus

Of those four, Gimp and Photoplus are the only freeware packages. You can also do your own searching for "Graphics Programs" online. . . .most important is that whatever you choose, it must allow for doing "layering". There are several other very good freeware utilities available.

One other word about PhotoPlus, you can get the full version for only $9.99 and it has everything you'd ever need for doing repaints. I used this for a long time and never found anything it wouldn't do.

mmann
August 10th, 2010, 09:33
I have Adobe Photoshop so I guess I take the default Beaver's white paint and try to separate the edge and rivet detail to a separate layer?

Regards, Mike Mann

Tako_Kichi
August 10th, 2010, 09:41
If you are using PS then I suggest you take a look at this page (and watch the video) for tips on painting when you don't have a layered paintkit.

http://iblueyonder.com/no-layered-paint-kit-no-problem/

mmann
August 10th, 2010, 10:51
Many thanks to both of you gentlemen for your help in getting me started!! That video is great, thanks for the link.

Regards, Mike Mann

mmann
August 10th, 2010, 14:49
Wow!! Do I ever have a new found respect for people who do repaints. Trying to figure what parts of the default Beaver to even paint. Then my first text came out looking like a mirror image. You guys do amazing work!!

Respectfully yours, Mike Mann

Tako_Kichi
August 10th, 2010, 15:19
Then my first text came out looking like a mirror image.
Did you open up the original DDS file, work on it and then save it again as a DDS? If so that's where you went wrong!

FSX needs the DDS files to be flipped vertically due to a bug that was left in the software so the usual procedure is this:

1. If starting from scratch or from a paint kit work as normal until everything is as you like it and then save the file in (in your case) Photoshop .psd format.

2. Resize the texture sheet if required and then flip it vertically using the 'Image/Rotate Canvas/Flip Canvas Vertical' menu item.

3. Flatten all the layers to a single layer using the 'Flatten Image' command in the 'Layers' palette options.

4. Save as a .DDS file (you do have the nVidia DDS plug-in for Photoshop so that you can import/export DDS files directly I take it).

If you are opening an existing DDS file to work on then immediately after opening flip it vertically as described in Step 2 above then save it as a .psd file. Once you have done that you can follow all the steps above.

mmann
August 10th, 2010, 17:36
No, actually my problem was I didn't mirror the text for the right side fuselage. I probably would have picked up on the remedy sooner but I didn't realize I had to quit and then restart FSX to see my changes.

Regards, Mike Mann

Tako_Kichi
August 10th, 2010, 19:55
No, actually my problem was I didn't mirror the text for the right side fuselage. I probably would have picked up on the remedy sooner but I didn't realize I had to quit and then restart FSX to see my changes.
There is a way around that problem. ;)

There is an unassigned key command in FSX that allows you to reload the aircraft. Go to 'Settings/Controls/Buttons/Keys' and look for the 'Aircraft (reload)' line and assign a key combination for it (I use CTRL + SHIFT + R as that is not used by anything else and I am unlikely to hit it accidentally while fumbling around the keyboard in flight).

Once you have a key combo assigned click on 'OK' and it will remember the assignment.

Now whenever you make a change to a paint and you have saved the texture to the FSX aircraft folder all you have to do is hit your 'reload' key combo and any changes you made will be instantly visible.

The same 'reload' command can be used if you make changes to the aircraft or panel config files too. It comes in very useful for instance if you are setting up the A2A 3D Lights and you are trying to position them correctly. Make your changes to the aircraft config file, save it and then switch to FSX and hit 'reload' and you can see what moved and where.

The above will save you hours of time if you stick with the painting but most of us 'regular' painters use another way of checking paints that doesn't use FSX at all. FS Repaint is a great tool for checking paints on models but it's not as good as Photoshop when it comes to the actual painting. The demo version will allow you to check paints but not use the painting part of the program but as you only want to check the paint on the model it is not an issue. You may find (as many of us do) that you use the program so much to check paints that you buy it anyway as it is worth it for that feature alone.You will need FS Repaint 2 for FSX though.

mmann
August 10th, 2010, 20:38
Thank you very much for the reload tip!!! This will definitely save a lot of time. I think I will look into FS Repaint 2. Sounds like it could be a real time saver. Thanks again for the great info!

Regards, Mike Mann

huub vink
August 10th, 2010, 23:09
Mike,

When my mind is still correct Henry William (also known as HenryW here at the Sim-Outhouse) did some very nice repaints for the default Beaver. He created a layered paint kit for this purpose.
Which is very habdy as it saves you to draw all panel lines and rivets again....

Success,
Huub

mmann
August 11th, 2010, 04:57
Mike,

When my mind is still correct Henry William (also known as HenryW here at the Sim-Outhouse) did some very nice repaints for the default Beaver. He created a layered paint kit for this purpose.
Which is very habdy as it saves you to draw all panel lines and rivets again....

Success,
Huub

You are right about HenryW posting a number of repaints for the default Beaver but no mention of a paint kit. Tim (Tim-HH at SOH) also did a number of paints for the default Beaver; but when asked for a copy of his paint kit he directed the person to the FSX Beaver white base textures. These are the textures I am using. Actually the video that 'Tako_Kichi' pointed out to me, near the top of this thread, shows tips on painting when you don't have a layered paintkit. My big problem now is where each part of the Beaver is represented on the texture sheet!!

Regards, Mike Mann

Tako_Kichi
August 11th, 2010, 05:18
Mike go and look at this thread down in the 'Paint Shop' section of the forum...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=41042

In one post I added a zip file that contains a larger version of the grid shown in the thumbnail.

Grab that file, unpack it, resize it if you are working at 1024 x 1024 (it's currently 2048 x 2048) but keep the original so you can use it again later if need be and then place it onto a new layer at the very top of your layer stack. If you don't know how to copy layers from one PS file to another shout and I will explain that bit.

Once you have it in place in your layer stack for the paint then save as a .psd, flatten the image then flip and save as a DDS and when you look at the paint in FSX everything will be covered in numbered squares.

All you have to do now is find the parts on the aircraft that are giving you problems and see what colours/numbers are on them and then open up the .psd file again and find the same colours/numbers on the sheet and that will be where the parts are on the texture sheet. Once you have found the area turn off the grid layer by left clicking on the eyeball in the layer palette and you should be able to see what you need to paint on the main texture.

For small parts it is much easier if you reduce the size of the grid down to 512 x 512 or even 256 x 256 and then slide it around until you have it in the right area. Unfortunately trial and error and a bit of intuitive guesswork are the only things that are going to help you find the correct location.

Another method used to identify parts is to start a new layer at the top and then using a fairly fat paint brush start drawing squiggly lines on the various parts making sure you change the colour of the brush for each part. Try to use vivid and contrasting colours for the area you paint in so the lines are easily seen. When you save the file and open FSX the aircraft will be covered in the coloured lines and all you have to do then is find the part you want to paint and see what colour line is on it.

OR

Use the rectangular selection tool to draw a box on a new layer over a suspect area then fill with a bright colour using the 'paint bucket' tool. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

There are lots of ways of finding the tricky parts on a texture sheet. ;)

mmann
August 11th, 2010, 07:47
Thanks for the tips Larry. I downloaded your zip file and it looks like it will be exactly what I need. As I stated in my first post, I'm no artist, so having the tools to help me paint is greatly appreciated. I do have abilities, but I just can't translate being able to play guitar and road race motorcycles (when I was much younger!) into repainting an aircraft in FSX.

Mike Mann

Tako_Kichi
August 11th, 2010, 08:16
No problem Mike...always willing to help someone keen get started.

Just to take this OT for a second....we must come from similar stock...lol....I rode motorcycles for 19 years straight back in the UK, was a riding instructor for 14 years and a riding test examiner for 10. Add to that 20+ years playing bass guitar and the past couple of years I have been trying to teach myself how to play 6 string (although it is hard going at times...mostly due to spending too much time messing with FSX and the computer and not enough time practising! :redf:...mind you the arthritis in my hands (caused by too many British winters on MCs) doesn't help either!)

mmann
August 11th, 2010, 08:27
Well Larry FSX does have a detrimental effect on guitar playing! The computer can be good or bad, it all depends whether your using Guitar Rig and Amplitube versus Photoshop and 3ds Max. So much to do and so little time!

Mike Mann