PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of taking the plunge....

Brian_Gladden
November 19th, 2008, 07:44
Okay guys... I have been drooling over FSX for a while now. The local Wally world has Gold for less than $60. I finally have enough room on the hard drive and I'm debating if I should get FSX or not.

I've got a 3 gig P4, 2 gigs of ram and an ATI 256 meg Radeon X850.

The demo didn't run well but I know it was buggy and the patches helped.

Any suggestions if I have enough horsepower to run it moderately well?

Also what FS9 birds port over fairly well?

Brian

Oh yeah... Running XP service pack 2

MCDesigns
November 19th, 2008, 08:01
Hi Brian, welcome to the new world! Your system is comparable to mine and as long as I stay out of big cities and don't run real weather, I get get good performance with high settings and normal autogen, so hopefully you will also if not better.

While there are a few FS9 birds that work ok in SP2, I tend to just use FSX native ones because the dual MDLs gives better performance in most cases here.

hey_moe
November 19th, 2008, 08:23
Hi Brian...I don't really see a problem with what cha got that a few tweaks wouldn't cure...Mike

Reddog
November 19th, 2008, 09:21
Brian if u want to port over FS9 aircraft just install FSX w/SP1 and most all will work, the older ones will have gauge problems and a lot of the water birds needs the contact points ajusted.

spotlope
November 19th, 2008, 10:54
Using SP1 causes some scenery problems, though. It's a trade off. Being Brian Gladden, I expect that if you don't find port-overs you like, you'll just cook up your own native versions. :icon_lol:

Brian_Gladden
November 19th, 2008, 14:27
I took the plunge and ordered FSX deluxe from Walmart online. Then I can apply SP 1 and perhaps 2 as needed. Then I'll have to slowly begin adding things back slowly.

Also, is there something like Editsoundpack for FSX yet? To ad in airline names and the like for AI.

Brian

Cazzie
November 19th, 2008, 14:40
Jump on in, the water's fine! :d

caz

Roger
November 19th, 2008, 14:46
My FsX runs better and faster in Dx10 mode. You need Vista to use Dx10 so if you don't have Vista then you will find Fs9 aircraft look better in Dx9c but will affect frame rates. Most FsX native aircraft will give better fps than port-overs so maybe we'll see some Gladden FsX native aircraft in the near future??:d

Marlin
November 19th, 2008, 14:57
My only tip would be not to run any port overs from FS9, too frustrating to most of them to work, if at all.

Cazzie
November 19th, 2008, 15:54
My FsX runs better and faster in Dx10 mode. You need Vista to use Dx10 so if you don't have Vista then you will find Fs9 aircraft look better in Dx9c but will affect frame rates. Most FsX native aircraft will give better fps than port-overs so maybe we'll see some Gladden FsX native aircraft in the near future??:d

Not on mine Roger, I never use Preview DX10. Frames rates drop by the order of 4 to 5, runway lines and markers flicker, and very few of my FS9 aircraft work in DX10. I just do not think FSX is quite ready for DX10.

Caz

Henry
November 19th, 2008, 16:00
I took the plunge and ordered FSX deluxe from Walmart online. Then I can apply SP 1 and perhaps 2 as needed. Then I'll have to slowly begin adding things back slowly.

Also, is there something like Editsoundpack for FSX yet? To ad in airline names and the like for AI.

Brian
go for it i have a sloooooow system
but i get to drink a few beverages
while its opening but when it gets there its worth the wait
:ernae:
i dont regret one thing
H

JSkorna
November 19th, 2008, 16:08
There is a beta EditVoicePack or you can copy over the FS9 EVP files.

chinookmark
November 19th, 2008, 23:54
EditVoicePack works. I haven't added any names or anything, but I sped up the ATC speech a bunch, and it worked great.

BTW, welcome to FSX world!

Bjoern
November 20th, 2008, 06:35
There is a beta EditVoicePack or you can copy over the FS9 EVP files.

I got some weird ATC phrasings when I tried that.

Maybe one could just try to open the FSX Voicepack file with EVP 3.1 and add more callsigns?

expat
November 20th, 2008, 06:57
Having held out on FSX for two years, I just picked up FSX Gold and I only regret waiting so long. Have hardly any frame rate or graphic performance complaints, to my surprise having read hundreds of groans on various boards about it. GA and military - particularly carrier ops - are different (ie better) and satisfying. Only nits I can complain of are that the camera views and related controller (eg 2d view point) settings are different than FS9, need fiddling with so still experimenting. Porting over FS9 planes takes getting used to - primarily about swapping out gauges for those that are known to be FSX friendly, to avoid getting incredibly irritating warning messages at entry into the sim. Have not even started with AI, AFCAD and scenery object addons - not to mentino MP - but will do in time. Overall though it's definately worth it. Jump.