PDA

View Full Version : A4 K Shot!

peter12213
August 9th, 2010, 12:52
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae166/Peter12213/2010-8-9_21-30-49-937_edited-1.jpg

Bjoern
August 9th, 2010, 12:56
The lowcost F-16...

With an afterburner, the thing would have been even MORE awesome!

peter12213
August 9th, 2010, 13:00
Agreed but the ultimate version the US navy used could still climb turn and burn with the best! Remember for the date it was built and designed it was an outstanding performer!

blazefox2
August 9th, 2010, 13:01
i want my scooter so bad....

Naki
August 9th, 2010, 13:29
Waaah....I get grumpy every time I see an A-4K..the RNZAF examples are in open air storage due to the shortmindiness of the previous goverment of scrapping the F-16 deal (an incredibly cheap deal) and then the combat force in its entirity (..and then spending a huge amount on way too many LAV-25s).

They suppose to be heading to the US with a civilan defence contractor but they need to come up with $144m - looks like this is not going to happen though and the whole sale process that has been dragging on for 9 years is a joke.

In updated form, the RNZAF Skyhawks had F-16 avionics and weapon system - they would of even been better if they had re-engined them with GE404s like the Singaporeans did.

Good shot though!

kilo delta
August 9th, 2010, 13:37
suppose to be heading to the US with a civilan defence contractor but they need to come up with $144m

$144m for how many airframes...does that include a spares package....SOH whip around?

:bump:

Nice pic,Peter...the Scooter was/is one of my all time favourites. I preferred the USN examples,however. :)

Bjoern
August 9th, 2010, 13:45
Agreed but the ultimate version the US navy used could still climb turn and burn with the best! Remember for the date it was built and designed it was an outstanding performer!

I don't quite get your point. The A-4K was so good because it was lighter and cleaner than the Navy's ultimate A-4F (hence the missing hump).

If you want to compare the A-4K, take the Marine's A-4M or the A-4AR or A-4SU.

peter12213
August 9th, 2010, 14:39
What I was simply saying was, that in its final form for Top Gun, (granted stripped down), that even without a burner the skyhawk would often go vertical with the Tomcat, not many single engine non afterburning powered aircraft could do that especially 20 years ago, the Mig 17 certainly couldn't which this was supposed to be in adversary training and that had a burner!