PDA

View Full Version : Texture Question

kdriver
August 9th, 2010, 08:35
Greetings Everyone,

What is the significance of the "b" and "h" textures, e.g. 056b2su1.bmp & 056h2su1.bmp?

I notice quite a few of the replacement texture packs have new "b" textures but not "h" ones.

Are the "h" textures actually used in CFS 2?

Thanks,
Kevin

UncleTgt
August 9th, 2010, 12:31
Kevin,

My understanding is as follows:

CFS 2 shipped with the "h" textures, covering the south west PTO.

FS2002 shipped with "b" textures, representing North American textures. Much of the sim architecture was shared, so it made sense to ship CFS 2 with "b" textures, & these are called for & used for areas outside the SWPTO.

The intention was to have the world covered with different regions, that way each could have it's own texture sets whilst using a common language for land & water classes.

For instance, a typical european city has a different look to an asian city, but they are both "cities".

This intention was never fully realised.

So, within the SWPTO, the sim calls up "h" textures, but outside the SWPTO (the rest of the world), it calls up & uses "b" textures.

If you want South East Asia to look "asian", you need to create a texture set that uses the "b" textures. You can still keep the "rest of the world" textures, so long as you create a landclass scenery (with textures) that you can load & activate (or deactivate) within the sim.

Rhumbas CFS2 Tropical landclass is an excellent example of this. If you have it loaded, deactivate it, & go fly over Burma, or Japan - unless you've converted all your "b" textures to look asian, it's not very asian is it?

Hope this helps

kdriver
August 9th, 2010, 22:15
UncleTgt,

Thanks very much - now it all makes sense.

BTW I love your Andaman and Nicobar Islands scenery. It looks great, especially with the small villages scattered across the landscape.

Cheers,
Kevin