PDA

View Full Version : FSD T-38 Question

falcon409
August 7th, 2010, 21:55
Since it appears from the UKMil website that it could be awhile before their T-38 is released, I decided to reinstall the FSD T-38 and see what I could do to make it look a bit better and correct the gauge problems.

I tried this a few years ago and seem to remember it being a lot more of a hassle than it actually turned out to be. Most (but not all) of the main gauges were fine, it was mostly all the engine gauges that required replacing along with the AOA, Clock, ADI and one or two others. I had to tweak the VC_Glass texture to get it transparent again and then re-save all the textures without the mipmaps.

What I have now, is what you see in the first image, some of the gauges have that pesky shiny cover over them. On other aircraft, that turned out to be a problem with the lights. . .if you turned all the lights off, that went away. That isn't the case here as I've already tried that with no success. Has anyone else run into this with the T-38, or have any suggestions as to what might be causing it. . .especially since it doesn't involve every gauge.

Thanks!:salute:

kilo delta
August 8th, 2010, 01:38
Looks like an issue with the alpha textures for those gauges. If you can locate the required file try darkening the alpha (using dxt2bmp or similar). :)

Edit: Great to see the Talon getting a little tlc.

Bone
August 8th, 2010, 03:31
Along with FSX Accelleration, I also run FSX SP1 just to be ble to fly the FSD T-38, because of the glass transparancy issue. If you could zip me a copy of your glass work, I would be very gratefull. As far as the instruments go, I swapped out all of them and don't have any shiney issues. I do love flying this thing, and would like to delete my SP1 file.

jmig
August 8th, 2010, 05:00
I once got it to fly, too. I replaced the gauges with either Alphasim or Iris gauges. They worked fine.

I would be interested in correct canopy alphas'. I still can't get the Section 8th F-86 to have clear glass.

falcon409
August 8th, 2010, 05:57
I have had this "shiny" issue on at least half a dozen different airplanes and the more I read what you guys have posted, I'm thinking this could be something related to my system and not a general problem.

Since I swapped out the gauges as well and still have the shiny covering over some, but you all swapped out the gauges and have no issues. The shiny discs were already visible when I first installed the T-38 and changing out the gauges didn't change the position of those offending discs which made me think it was something with an overlaying texture that required an alpha change. If no one else has seen what I showed in that first screenshot, then I have a problem that's inherent to my system only. Bummer.

Also, there is no texture file that is related to the gauges, so I ruled out a simple alpha change almost immediately. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'll zip my glass textures and post them here for anyone who needs them.

falcon409
August 8th, 2010, 06:32
Here's another interesting scenario, lol. I loaded the airplane at night and with the interior lights on and all external lights on, the problem is gone (except for the two gauges on the left side of the panel). But if I turn off the interior lights, the gauges are covered again. Weird, lol!!

N2056
August 8th, 2010, 08:20
It looks (and acts) like a lightmap texture to me from what I see in your pics.

falcon409
August 8th, 2010, 09:13
Would that be a texture that's part of the model or would I see something in the texture folder? Also, as if I don't have a thing to do, lol, I'm redoing the VC Panel:

Bjoern
August 8th, 2010, 10:05

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe something along the lines of a reflection map to give the gauges an illusion of a glass cover...

Bone
August 8th, 2010, 14:38
Thanks for the glass fix, Ed. Er, can I mooch the new VC panel textures off of you too? LOL. Thanks!

falcon409
August 8th, 2010, 15:28
. . . . . Er, can I mooch the new VC panel textures off of you too? LOL. Thanks!
NP, I hope to have it ready in a few days.

Bone
August 8th, 2010, 15:37
..........:salute: