PDA

View Full Version : severe lag from fraps

blazefox2
August 7th, 2010, 13:10
This is more of a question to video makers,
how do you get the fps from running fraps to quit crashing to a ridiculously low amount
from
to
the first fps was decent and i could work with that but 6-7 fps is absolutely horrible
so is there any tips for improving?

falcon409
August 7th, 2010, 13:39
Good question. I used to do a lot of videos in FS9, but once I moved to FSX (yes I keep updated on all new FRAPS releases), I experienced horrendous fps problems, stuttering and so many other problems, I gave up on FRAPS about 3 years ago.

flyer01
August 7th, 2010, 14:30
I have been using fraps 3.2.3 and getting good FPS.
Will show some pictures later.
I'm using a Intel core Duo E8600 @ 3.33GHz 3.00GB OF RAM.
E8600 loves to be overclocked but have not had to.
Video card Geforce 9800GT with the the setting as high as thy can.
MOBO- Gigabyte GA-EP45_UD3P

I'm Running FSX, Fraps, REX2 with the REX Weather Engine2.0 most all the time.
And at times Free track.
Joystick- Saitek X52.
Monitor- HP-19 or a VIZIO 42in screen.
Running FSX on ultra-high

I have used Fraps on both screens and good FPS.

I,v been told the the E8600 out preformed the new 4 core CPUs when used in Gaming.
Look at this video and you can see what I mean.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=40839

Now if you are looking for really good FPS get GameCamV2.
I use both. GC is ez on FPS and does not clog up WMM.

flyer01

flyer01
August 7th, 2010, 14:56
blazefox2,
You may want to clean your PC also.
That allways Help.
A program that speeds up the PC unbelievable fast is Advance system Care/PRO. Also get iobit_toolbox.

Hope this helps.

flyer01

bazzar
August 7th, 2010, 14:57
Ram, ram, ram and more ram.

If that doesn't work add some ram.:wavey:

roger-wilco-66
August 7th, 2010, 15:00
I also gave up on that. 4 gig ram. When I run FRAPS and try to capture a vid, my framerate goes from around 20 (in a complex scenery) to under 10.

I never install performance increasing software, btw, unless I understand what it exactly does to my system.

my 2ct
Mark

falcon409
August 7th, 2010, 20:02
Ram, ram, ram and more ram.
If that doesn't work add some ram.
My system has 8gig right now and FRAPS has never run in FSX as well as it did in FS9. . .to the point that I found it more of an irritation than anything.

mfitch
August 7th, 2010, 21:38
My systems have never had trouble with Fraps. I wonder if using multiple hard drives has an effect. FSX runs on my system drive, and Fraps records to a second drive (may be on a second drive controller, but I'm not sure how I configured it).

Z-DarthVader
August 8th, 2010, 01:47
blazefox2,

Like some others already said, clean up your system (diskclean utitlity) and defrag your disks. Also, make sure your pagefile (virtual memory) is exactly two times the size of your ram and put it on a non OS non application partition or disk. That usually helps a lot in terms of performance.

But above all, clean and defragment your disks.

You also may want to check the number of services you have running and try to diminish them.

Here is a good link to a page on how to reduce the number of services you have running:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

Hope this helps!

warchild
August 8th, 2010, 02:49
another thng you might want to try is using only a locked outside view.. It should eliminate the stutters and speed things up a little bit..

warchild
August 8th, 2010, 04:22
soooo ok.. i set up a little experiment to try and figure this out as i also have horrendous frame rates with fraps.. I'll let others with more of a clue figure out the details of the results to perhaps fund a solution..

My system is using a Q6600 running on an EVGA 780i mmotherboaard with four gigs of 1200 mhz ram. The CPU's native speed is 2.4 ghz. memory bus speed is 800mhz. My graphics card is an xfx gtx 260.
Thats what i started with..

Step one was to reboot the computer and enter the cmos ram. in there, i overclocked the front side bus high enough to drive the cpu up to 2.64 ghz, and initial speed of the ram to 800 mhz ( for some reason if theres no load, the system throttles the ram speed ).

I rebooted and double checked that my system was indeed no working at 2.64 ghz.
Once in windows, i went into the control panel and set yp an 8 gigabyte page file on a clean 580 gig partition (which is unused for the most part and part of a brand new 1.5 terrabyte drive) , and deleted the system page file on drive c.

I rebooted again.

opening up the task manager ( i have windows 7 ) and going to the process table i started FSX and right clicked on the fsx.exe process when it appeared and set its priority to above normal. I then right clicked on the fsx.exe process and selected set affinity and unchecked CPU 0 ( apparently the affinity mask in fsx config has no effect under windows 7 ) leaving cpus 1, 2and 3 for fsx to use..

next, with fsx still loading, I started fraps and going back to the process table, i right clicked on f4raps.exe and leaving its priority to normal, I selected "set affinity" and unchecked cpus 1,2 and 3 leaving it using only cpu 0.

Now, according to everything thats been said here, everything should be working great. it was working better. FSX itself had slowed down from 40 fps to 30 fps when not recording..
several things happened when i hit the record button..
the first thing that happened was that my frame rates dropped to 1 fps, and the screen froze for somewhere between ten and twenty seconds, afterwhich the framerate rose to 17 fps which is five frames per second higher than i normally get, BUT!!
as i flew over new scnery, the scenery would not load normally. sometimes it popped up directly underneath me, and other times it would not load at all. crs and other road vehicles loaded with no problems though. it was the trees and buildings that wouldnt load.. I do have the film if anyone wants to see it..

Now, i may be wrong , but going on the evidence i saw and above reported, what appears to be happenng is that fraps and fsx are competing not for memory per se, but it appears that they are competing for frame buffer space. Like i said. i can be wrong. i'm no genius. but thats what it looks like to me..
i have one more trick up my sleeve in the form of an ATI 4850 thats laying around, and a little ATI program for it that allows it to use unused graphics space for programs. Theoretically, if all my graphics are going through the gtx 260 the entire ATI card should be available for use by fsx and fraps, and being a gpu maybe it'll make use of its own internal frame buffers as an addition to what already exists on the xfx card.

What it boils down to in my mind other than whats above, us that there is a way to optimize each system. The folks who do not have any problems with fraps, have successfully tweaked theur systems and fsx to run optimally for their machine. thw others of us who are not so fortunate, havent been able to sccomplish that yet, and are temprarily screwed till we figure it out..

What i'd really like to know is the tweaks and system specks ysed by Lotus, Jaggy and the other successful videographers..