PDA

View Full Version : What MP3/Ipod to buy

jmig
November 19th, 2008, 04:11
I picked up my new 2009 Acadia yesterday. I want to buy either a MP3 player or Ipod to play my music collection through the audio system.

I want at least 8Gb of storage, more would be better. I do not plan on watching any videos on it. It will be strictly for music.

What do you guys & gals recommend? Should I go solid state memory, minidisk or something else?

djscoo
November 19th, 2008, 04:17
I picked up my new 2009 Acadia yesterday. I want to buy either a MP3 player or Ipod to play my music collection through the audio system.

I want at least 8Gb of storage, more would be better. I do not plan on watching any videos on it. It will be strictly for music.

What do you guys & gals recommend? Should I go solid state memory, minidisk or something else?
If you plan on purchasing more music in the future, I would go with the Ipod, or Zune. Both come with user-friendly music marketplaces.

Panther_99FS
November 19th, 2008, 05:15
Dang - that's a nice vehicle...:applause:

jmig
November 19th, 2008, 05:19
Dang - that's a nice vehicle...:applause:

Yes, I really love it. I wanted something that gave me the stability & storage of my pickup but had better gas mileage and performance. This fit the bill perfectly. Then..........
There's the HUD!!!!!!

Saw that and I asked, "Where do I sign?" :costumes: That thing is just too cool!

jmig
November 19th, 2008, 05:22
Anybody have experience with the Creative Zen 16GB MP3 Player?

It looks like it will meet my needs and give me audio format flexibity. Don't know about the quality, however.

hey_moe
November 19th, 2008, 05:47
Ya just can't hide money:mixedsmi: Can I borrow a dollar daddy?

jmig
November 19th, 2008, 06:13
Ya just can't hide money:mixedsmi: Can I borrow a dollar daddy?

:costumes: No Moe. You are seeing one of the few opportunities small business owners still have to save what little money we make from the government's insatiable appetite for taxes.

My company bought this vehicle. I just get to drive it. In doing so right now, we can depreciate it rather quickly and save thousands of $$ in taxes. Same for the iPod and new laptop I plan on getting, although to a lesser extent. :costumes:

Come next year, we may not have any profits to need tax write-offs.

And for those who have always worked for a company and think I am taking advantage of something, for the ability to do the above I get the following:

I pay double the FICA and medical taxes. I don't get unemployment benefits. I may make less than an employee and he gets paid before I do. What money I do make gets plowed back into the company.

Oh..and I get to stay awake at night worrying how we will make some bank payment after our politicians screw up the economy and don't consider bailing ME out.

Still... I would hate having to get a real job. :costumes:

Anyway, enough of you derailing this thread. You have to help me decide what to buy, or I might make a poor decision and blame you for the rest of my life.

MaddogK
November 19th, 2008, 08:37
Ipod shuffle with 2 gig CHEAP !! I have 16 hours of music in less than 1 gig space tho any EQ will need to be done to the track before it's stored to the Ipod. The file format will also effect playback quality and storage size, mines set to maximum compression, and have NO problems with quality. My wife has the 8 gig Nano and I had to rip a few movies just to take up space- 3 times the price/4 times the capacity and 70% of the 8 gig is wasted space.

ColoKent
November 19th, 2008, 08:47
I don't think you can go wrong with the new 16Gb iPod for $199. I bought mine by mail before they even got to the stores here, and I loaded it up (about 110 albums and counting, a TON of podcasts, and there is still 5 Gb left!).

You **could** get something for $50-75 with 1 or 2 Gb [and I have a 1Gb Shuffle as well for workouts, and it's fine...but small]...but unless you are destitute, why not go for the "ultimate weapon"??? I was waiting for baited breath for the 16Gb for months, and it's worked out well. My theory has always been this:

If I spend $75 for something that has 2Gb, but I quickly fill that with music and podcasts (and I already had 6.5Gb of that stuff I wanted to keep before I bought the 16Gb unit), I'll either have to "make do" with a crappy (but admittedly cheap) solution, or I'll end up having to go fork out even MORE money to get what is really needed to do what I want. I chose the latter solution.

So my thing is this: It depends on how much music you will want to have loaded, and if you want to use it for podcasts as well...and as as an adjunct hard drive. So figure out your requirements, and then execute. Remember the shuffle does not have playlist capability (I love my Shuffle, but that aspect of it gets irritating at times).
The 16Gb iPod has been a great unit for me!

Kent

Snuffy
November 19th, 2008, 10:18
I got an old 8-track I'll sell ya ... you remember how 8-tracks use to repeat the play tracks cuz there was no way to kick the tape out after it was done ...

It'll trick !!!! :d

ColoKent
November 19th, 2008, 11:26
....reminds me of the late summer of '73-- I could have got a great Panasonic AM/FM and 8 track with two nice speakers (wood case and all)-- but it was expensive: $110!

K.

jmig
November 19th, 2008, 12:29
I got an old 8-track I'll sell ya ... you remember how 8-tracks use to repeat the play tracks cuz there was no way to kick the tape out after it was done ...

It'll trick !!!! :d

:costumes: Reminds me of that scene from Men in Black where tommy Lee Jomes puts the 8- track tape in.

redrooster
November 19th, 2008, 12:38
I had a Zen Vision M, which is fairly similiar to the regular Zen, and the audio quality was great.

redrooster

MaddogK
November 19th, 2008, 13:20
I don't think you can go wrong with the new 16Gb iPod for $199. I bought mine by mail before they even got to the stores here, and I loaded it up (about 110 albums and counting, a TON of podcasts, and there is still 5 Gb left!).

You **could** get something for $50-75 with 1 or 2 Gb [and I have a 1Gb Shuffle as well for workouts, and it's fine...but small]...but unless you are destitute, why not go for the "ultimate weapon"??? I was waiting for baited breath for the 16Gb for months, and it's worked out well. My theory has always been this:

If I spend $75 for something that has 2Gb, but I quickly fill that with music and podcasts (and I already had 6.5Gb of that stuff I wanted to keep before I bought the 16Gb unit), I'll either have to "make do" with a crappy (but admittedly cheap) solution, or I'll end up having to go fork out even MORE money to get what is really needed to do what I want. I chose the latter solution.

So my thing is this: It depends on how much music you will want to have loaded, and if you want to use it for podcasts as well...and as as an adjunct hard drive. So figure out your requirements, and then execute. Remember the shuffle does not have playlist capability (I love my Shuffle, but that aspect of it gets irritating at times).
The 16Gb iPod has been a great unit for me!

Kent

Podcasts, that says it all- no wonder you run outta room so quick.
:)
to each his own,

Anyhow since me shuffle needs to be recharged every 30 playing hours or so it's easy to upload a new playlist at the same time, takes all of 30 seconds or so to swap the entire contents of the shuffle while charging.

My wife has killed her Nano cable (took 3 weeks) already so she uses my shuffle dock for her charges and media additions- a little stereo extension cable was needed to patch the 2 together.

I tried to talk her into the Sony 16Gig Mp3 player (Sony Mp3 watchman IIRC) but she didn't like the button layout, but the Sony has UNBELIEVABLE battery life, easily 25% longer playtime than the Apple or Zune we looked at.

ColoKent
November 19th, 2008, 13:37
....it's like I said...IMHO, it starts out as a "requirements definition" exercise in my mind. I LOVE my 1 Gb Shuffle as well as my 4th Gen Nano...either would be a good choice...just depends on what he wants to use it for.

K.

Lionheart
November 19th, 2008, 15:10
Im with ColoKent... Definately the 16Gig iPod Touch. You have extreme flexibility in media and 'amount' of media. I had 3 gigs of music on my iPod in one day and I have hardly any CD's, (perhaps 15, 20 max). The room can be used up quick.

Also, iTunes / iPod have some cool 'shuffle' and playlist programming qualities.

If you do get iPod, you get iTunes on your computer free and that can link you with obtaining Podcasts (as mentioned).

Lastly, if you are stuck somewhere while the little lady is in a store shopping around, you can play games, and if in a WiFi carrier distance, you can check emails, go to SOH and see who posted what, etc. If you are boared (doctors office, waiting in the waiting room), it can really come in handy.

But if you just want to hold about 10 or 20 CD's, the Zen is more then adequate. $100 more and you get the iPod.

Bill

Here's a mini movie on iPod Touch;

kj0UZjrSVLA