PDA

View Full Version : De Havilland DH 103 Sea Hornet NF 21 FSX is Out

noddy
August 7th, 2010, 07:42
http://classicbritishfiles.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=162&func=fileinfo&id=1860

Butcherbird17
August 7th, 2010, 07:55
Thanks for HU. Off to get her.

Joe

Roger
August 7th, 2010, 08:05
Great news! Thanks for the hu:ernae:

raptor19
August 7th, 2010, 08:09
Thanks for the HU, downloading now!:ernae:

noddy
August 7th, 2010, 08:36
I seem to be having trouble with it, I take off Ok and then the engines cough and splutter and catch fire?

Everything is in the green, so not sure what I am doing wrong?

Tako_Kichi
August 7th, 2010, 08:40
Do you have FSX SP2 or Acceleration?

I was on the beta team for this one and had no problems in Acceleration.

I just did a quick test flight from RNAS Culdrose to St. Mawgan around the coast and everything was fine.

Check Coles Specials (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?coles/) and Big W Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?big-w/).

Roger
August 7th, 2010, 08:45
No fires here noddy!

Enjoying an obscure aircraft that wouldn't see the light of day but for Rob! :ernae:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/seahornet-1.jpg

noddy
August 7th, 2010, 08:50
Yep got Acceleration, will give it another go and see what happens.

noddy
August 7th, 2010, 09:26

Not a successful test!

Tako_Kichi
August 7th, 2010, 09:28
Noddy do you have 'Engine stress damages engine' checked in the FSX Realism setting page?

If so try turning it off for the Hornet. I just turned it back on here (I normally set it to off unless I am using an Accu-Sim aircraft) and get the same flaming engines if it is active and you run full bore at low altitude.

noddy
August 7th, 2010, 09:44
That did the trick Larry, many thanks.

:salute:

Tako_Kichi
August 7th, 2010, 09:59
Glad you are sorted out now. :ernae:

Daube
August 7th, 2010, 10:31
That did the trick Larry, many thanks.

:salute:

This setting will damage the engines if you get past the maximum manifold pressure.
When you said that "everything was in the green", did you include the manifold pressure too ?

clmooring
August 7th, 2010, 11:18
hmm every time I load the plane, the flight automatically pulls up the flight end window. I have to select the option not to end the flight.

also the plane loads with the engine off and I cant get it started....

Any ideas?

raptor19
August 7th, 2010, 11:39
No problems running in FSX Acceleration. Son of Mossie so naturally I love it. Nice Job! :ernae:

John N

RyDraiggoch
August 7th, 2010, 12:29
Glad to see the general consensus is positive

no downloading problems ??? makes me think w might have cracked that problem over at the Pond.

Rob has a Single seat (nice nose) Sea Hornet and a stock Hornet in the works too.

by the way - the over boost problem -- might I suggest you download Dave Gerrams gracious

gift of the Pilots Notes for the aeroplane (also at The Pond).

Cheers

Leif

hairyspin
August 7th, 2010, 12:41
Thanks for this, I have a soft spot six miles wide for the Hornet. Great news about the single-seat versions too, I'll watch for them! :jump:

clmooring
August 7th, 2010, 12:50
hmm every time I load the plane, the flight automatically pulls up the flight end window. I have to select the option not to end the flight.

also the plane loads with the engine off and I cant get it started....

Any ideas?

I loaded closed FSX loaded a different plane first. Things seem to be working properly....

great plane, beautiful model and the sounds are outstanding.

SADT
August 7th, 2010, 15:41
Hi,

Would someone be able to post pics of the VC please? :jump:

Dain Arns
August 7th, 2010, 15:44
Glad to have a native FSX version in the hangar.
Especially come next February (*wink wink*) :icon_lol:

Pips
August 7th, 2010, 15:50
Rob has a Single seat (nice nose) Sea Hornet and a stock Hornet in the works too.

Cheers

Leif

The single seat version is the one for me. :)

mmann
August 7th, 2010, 17:19
This is the first aircraft that I have ever had to uncheck 'Engine stress damages engine'. With barely enough power for the aircraft to leave the runway the engines would clatter to a stop and start on fire! No kneeboard checklist or reference and no manual so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Yes I am running FSX Acceleration.

Regards, Mike Mann

Cirrus N210MS
August 7th, 2010, 17:39
this plane rocks! i just been playing around with it around denver wow its a nice plane

mmann
August 7th, 2010, 17:59
I tried to load the aircraft on from a Carrier Tracks flight but every few seconds the flight end window would pop up and I would have to tell it not to end my flight. The engines were stopped and nothing I could do would start them! The flight was started with an aircraft that had the engines running. Any ideas?

Regards, Mike Mann

Dain Arns
August 7th, 2010, 18:05
Sooo...
This only works with "Engine Stress" turned off? :confused:

CG_1976
August 7th, 2010, 18:11
This hornet rocks:jump:

deathfromafar
August 7th, 2010, 19:01
Ran this model on the Ark in AI Carriers a few times. No issues at all. Quite easy to land and launch!

Henry
August 7th, 2010, 19:30
i had given up flying for a while
this just got me back
cheers
H

Tako_Kichi
August 7th, 2010, 20:14
i had given up flying for a while
this just got me back
Thought you'd like it H ......it's just like a baby Mossie after all! ;)

Dain Arns
August 8th, 2010, 01:47
Sooo...
This only works with "Engine Stress" turned off? :confused:
:bump:

SkippyBing
August 8th, 2010, 03:27
CG 1976, Where did you get that Gibraltar scenery? I've been looking for some for ages.

RyDraiggoch
August 8th, 2010, 04:26
Yes Dains that would be a correct statement. (see the begining of the thread with Noddy's comments.

For anyone who feels the need -- Larry (Tako) found a little niggler after Rob went to press - it takes a little twisting to find - but Rob thought before someone found it he would replace the whole thing -- If you look down into the cockpit from directly above you can see through the
the floor aft of the seat and forward of the bulkhead.....your choice but Rob has replaced the whole model fixing it....its on the library at "The Pond" now.....also thought you might like to see the NF21s cuter older sister.....

Cheers

Leif
www.classicbritishfiles.com

clmooring
August 8th, 2010, 06:21
I tried to load the aircraft on from a Carrier Tracks flight but every few seconds the flight end window would pop up and I would have to tell it not to end my flight. The engines were stopped and nothing I could do would start them! The flight was started with an aircraft that had the engines running. Any ideas?

Regards, Mike Mann

I had the same problem starting at my local airport. I restarted fsx and loaded a different plane first and the problem went away.

mmann
August 8th, 2010, 08:21
I had the same problem starting at my local airport. I restarted fsx and loaded a different plane first and the problem went away.

But why would this problem even exist in the first place? I have many dozens of other freeware and payware aircraft and not one of them, under any circumstances, has ever created this kind of problem.

Regards, Mike Mann

Dain Arns
August 8th, 2010, 08:26
Yes Dains that would be a correct statement. (see the begining of the thread with Noddy's comments.

Just making sure that this is how it was designed to be operated.
Thanks.

kilo delta
August 8th, 2010, 08:33
CG 1976, Where did you get that Gibraltar scenery? I've been looking for some for ages.

Looks like Aerosoft's new GibraltarX http://www.aerosoft-shop.com/products/gibraltarx/gibraltrax.html

kilo delta
August 8th, 2010, 08:37
Rob has replaced the whole model fixing it....its on the library at "The Pond" now

Leif
www.classicbritishfiles.com

Thanks for the HU,Leif... download link is http://classicbritishfiles.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=162&func=startdown&id=1863

CG_1976
August 8th, 2010, 08:51
Looks like Aerosoft's new GibraltarX http://www.aerosoft-shop.com/products/gibraltarx/gibraltrax.html
:salute:Bingo

SkippyBing
August 8th, 2010, 09:21
Thanks CG, downloading it now!

Henry
August 8th, 2010, 12:26
Thought you'd like it H ......it's just like a baby Mossie after all! ;)
yup many years ago a really great guy got me involved with one
loved them ever since
H

peter12213
August 8th, 2010, 13:35
Quite a nice model, but the FDE is way off, anybody else noticed if you point the nose up 90 degrees with only the 2 wing tanks full the thing will hover! I know it was a powerful aircraft but thats just crazy lol, really nice addition to fsx though! I just can't wait for his Attacker to be released!

deathfromafar
August 8th, 2010, 15:36
Quite a nice model, but the FDE is way off, anybody else noticed if you point the nose up 90 degrees with only the 2 wing tanks full the thing will hover! I know it was a powerful aircraft but thats just crazy lol, really nice addition to fsx though! I just can't wait for his Attacker to be released!

I wouldn't say it's too unrealistic. An aircraft of that weight with twin Merlin's and 4 bladed props with that much area on them could in all probability be hung on it's props in the vertical. I remember my demo flight back in the 90's in an SU-29 and the instructor hovering & torque rolling the plane staying perfectly vertical. Shocked the hell out of me! I've seen a Grumman F7F Tigercat do things in the vertical I had previously thought impossible. But, if you want to know the original Sea Hornet's Test Pilot's feelings:

Just after VE Day the first semi-navalised Sea Hornet PX 212 arrived at the RAE, Farnborough. Eric Brown initiated "work-up-to deck landing" trials. 37 years later, he was still impressed:

"...The next two months of handling and deck landing assessment trials were to be an absolute joy; from the outset the Sea Hornet was a winner!"
"The view from the cockpit, positioned right forward in the nose beneath a one-piece aft-sliding canopy was truly magnificent. The Sea Hornet was easy to taxi, with powerful brakes... the takeoff using 25 lb (2,053 mm Hg, 51" Hg) boost and flaps at one-third extension was remarkable! The 2,070 hp (1,540 kW) Merlin 130/131 engines fitted to the prototypes were to be derated to 18 lb (1,691 Hg, 37" Hg) boost and 2,030 hp (1,510 kW) as Merlin 133/134s in production Sea Hornets, but takeoff performance was to remain fantastic. Climb with 18 lb boost exceeded 4,000 ft/min (20.32 m/sec)"...

"In level flight the Sea Hornet's stability about all axes was just satisfactory, characteristic, of course, of a good day interceptor fighter. Its stalling characteristics were innocuous, with a fair amount of elevator buffeting and aileron twitching preceding the actual stall"...
"For aerobatics the Sea Hornet was absolute bliss. The excess of power was such that manoeuvres in the vertical plane can only be described as rocket like. Even with one propeller feathered the Hornet could loop with the best single-engine fighter, and its aerodynamic cleanliness was such that I delighted in its demonstration by diving with both engines at full bore and feathering both propellers before pulling up into a loop!

peter12213
August 8th, 2010, 17:46
That's very interesting actually mate thanks for the explanation!

RyDraiggoch
August 8th, 2010, 17:58
And we thought that the rate of climb was a little far fetched......the power to weight ratio of the Hornet was indeed phenomenal......Much like its older brother...I remember being told by a
BAC1-11 Captain for Dan Air many years ago about flying Mosquito's, and that one of the party tricks of the squadron was to take off with a fully loaded Mossie and with the gear and flaps still down feather one engine and roll the aircraft around the dead engine.....not many aircraft you could do that and live to tell the tale. Oh yes, the gent (now long gone) was a Mosquito pilot for 487 Squadron RNZAF so I never doubted his estimation of the DH Mosquito. As part of the Beta team I spent quite a bit of times doing aerobatics in various conditions, but , never managed to do what Peter described , I did however manage a series of rather impressive vertical maneuvers usually ending in a very marked stall turn in which ever direction my foot was heaviest. My suggestion is , if you find the FDE "unrealistic" then you bin the thing.

Cheers

Leif

mikezola
August 8th, 2010, 22:50
Wow! What a ride! I had forgotten how beautiful the Hornet is! The only problem I had occurred after I got curious and enabled the engine damage- sure enough, I was barely off the runway and I started losing power, with engine fires soon after. I ended the flight and went to fly it again and it seemed the entire front of the plane was engulfed in a cloud of smoke- from both the cockpit and external views. I switched to a different aircraft and got the same smoke cloud. Closing and reopening the sim and unchecking the Engine Damage box set everything to rights again, no worries. This one's very, very definitely a keeper- I'll be looking forward to the other variants! My compliments! Any chance we'll see the prototype paint scheme for one of the next ones? -Mike Z.

Stickshaker
August 9th, 2010, 02:30
Thanks for the HU,Leif... download link is http://classicbritishfiles.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=162&func=startdown&id=1863

I’ve downloaded the file several times now, but each time I try to unzip it I get the message that the file does not seem to contain a valid archive. Has anyone else had that problem?

RyDraiggoch
August 9th, 2010, 02:54
Stickshaker

If your experiencing difficutly downloading at www.classicbritishfiles.com - go to the support forum there - I set up a thread for Roddymod with an alternative link to the file - it will be active for a couple more days.

Usually Im sorry to say the problem is with the download speed at your end. but the alternative link will give it to you I promise

Leif

RyDraiggoch
August 9th, 2010, 02:59
Wow! What a ride! I had forgotten how beautiful the Hornet is! The only problem I had occurred after I got curious and enabled the engine damage- sure enough, I was barely off the runway and I started losing power, with engine fires soon after. I ended the flight and went to fly it again and it seemed the entire front of the plane was engulfed in a cloud of smoke- from both the cockpit and external views. I switched to a different aircraft and got the same smoke cloud. Closing and reopening the sim and unchecking the Engine Damage box set everything to rights again, no worries. This one's very, very definitely a keeper- I'll be looking forward to the other variants! My compliments! Any chance we'll see the prototype paint scheme for one of the next ones? -Mike Z.

Mike - after Noddy and MMann reported the same problem I did a little experiment
if you read the real F20 pilots notes (specifically the care and feeding of the Merlins)
you CAN use fly it with engine damage ON however the tendency for most people is to
overboost the engines on take off....you can do EXACTLY the same thing with Del Palmers
Dove if you your not very quick coming off the power and Boost after takeoff - the secret
lies in the correct prop settings and careful mangement of the engine and prop rpm

Cheers

Leif

Dain Arns
August 9th, 2010, 03:31
Mike - after Noddy and MMann reported the same problem I did a little experiment
if you read the real F20 pilots notes (specifically the care and feeding of the Merlins)
you CAN use fly it with engine damage ON however the tendency for most people is to
overboost the engines on take off....you can do EXACTLY the same thing with Del Palmers
Dove if you your not very quick coming off the power and Boost after takeoff - the secret
lies in the correct prop settings and careful mangement of the engine and prop rpm

Cheers

Leif

I'm just going to relate this information to you then.
I was attempting to take off from KFCA the other night, which sits at about 4000' ASL.
Prop RPM was reduced as recommended, and when I slowly applied throttle, I got halfway to the 'green zone' on the boost gauge, and both engines lost power entirely.
I never saw any smoke or fire, so I have to assume they dismantled themselves.
This happened repeatedly at the same airport, despite making adjustments.
I have gained enough experience over the years to manage throttle and prop settings properly.
Respectfully, I don't think it's mismanagement of the quad that's causing the problem for some of us. :salute:

jojohnson9
August 9th, 2010, 03:40
I’ve downloaded the file several times now, but each time I try to unzip it I get the message that the file does not seem to contain a valid archive. Has anyone else had that problem?

I had the same problem the first few times I tried to download. Each time the file was in the process of downloading I left the download site to do something else. Each download came up
empty or only partially filled. I had a successful download when I stayed at download site
until the entire file was completely downloaded.

mmann
August 9th, 2010, 04:32

Cheers

Leif

My mistake. I thought the low end of the green zone would be safe. Most aircraft use green for the zone of safe use. I didn't realize that green should be thought of as red and that as soon as the gauge reached it the engines will trash themselves!!

Regards, Mike Mann

robcarrich
August 9th, 2010, 05:06
Hi all,
Sorry your having trouble with the engine settings on the Sea Hornet.
We decided to use the detonation system in FSX for a bit of realism as the real aircraft did not use full power on takeoff, less than 80% as I understand it, we copied the settings straight out of the P 51 Racer and de-tuned the power from over 3000HP!!! down to 2030HP, and it needs VERY careful handling on takeoff, but I can see it was a mistake to use these settings as it spoils the enjoyment of a casual flight if, Like me, you don't read the pilots notes!
The fix is a simple one, just go to the aircraft cfg. file and delete this line....'detonation_onset =80.0000', that's under the [piston_engine] section and that will solve the problem.
I wont include those settings in the single seat Hornet, which should be out in a few weeks.

Rob Richardson

mmann
August 9th, 2010, 05:19
Hi all,
Sorry your having trouble with the engine settings on the Sea Hornet.
We decided to use the detonation system in FSX for a bit of realism as the real aircraft did not use full power on takeoff, less than 80% as I understand it, we copied the settings straight out of the P 51 Racer and de-tuned the power from over 3000HP!!! down to 2030HP, and it needs VERY careful handling on takeoff, but I can see it was a mistake to use these settings as it spoils the enjoyment of a casual flight if, Like me, you don't read the pilots notes!
The fix is a simple one, just go to the aircraft cfg. file and delete this line....'detonation_onset =80.0000', that's under the [piston_engine] section and that will solve the problem.
I wont include those settings in the single seat Hornet, which should be out in a few weeks.

Rob Richardson

Could you use settings similar to the Acceleration P51. I have no problems whatsoever using that aircraft yet it still can trash the engine if you overdo it.

Regards, Mike Mann

Stickshaker
August 9th, 2010, 05:24
Stickshaker

If your experiencing difficutly downloading at www.classicbritishfiles.com (http://www.classicbritishfiles.com) - go to the support forum there - I set up a thread for Roddymod with an alternative link to the file - it will be active for a couple more days.

Usually Im sorry to say the problem is with the download speed at your end. but the alternative link will give it to you I promise

Leif

Thanks, Ry, it worked. Off to fly now!

Dain Arns
August 9th, 2010, 08:15
... but I can see it was a mistake to use these settings as it spoils the enjoyment of a casual flight if, Like me, you don't read the pilots notes!...

Just a suggestion that you might include the pilot's notes or some type of documentation, next time?
The only thing I found within the .zip file was the 'readme' which had no reference to the situation with controlling the engines.
The only reference regarding pilot's notes was made in a previous post in this thread about them being up at "The Pond", with no link provided.
I have no idea what "The Pond" is other than the reference to the Atlantic Ocean.
Some of us 'Casual Users' do in fact read the documentation quite often. :salute:

Thank you for posting the adjustment information to the aircraft.cfg file.
Please don't get me wrong, I do in fact enjoy your Sea Hornet.
It is much appreciated. :applause:

RyDraiggoch
August 9th, 2010, 09:16
<<Just a suggestion that you might include the pilot's notes or some type of documentation, next time?
The only thing I found within the .zip file was the 'readme' which had no reference to the situation with controlling the engines.
The only reference regarding pilot's notes was made in a previous post in this thread about them being up at "The Pond", with no link provided.
I have no idea what "The Pond" is other than the reference to the Atlantic Ocean>>.

Well that would be my bad -- I assumed that people who come to www.classicbritishfiles.com (http://www.classicbritishfiles.com) with any frequency are aware its referred to as "The Pond" because of our gracious benefactor Rob English who uses the name "The Happy Otter" --- it makes little difference either way - AMONG the jewels hidden in the library there are a fairly extensive set of real world pilots notes for many WW2 and Post War British aircarft (courtesy of one David Jerram who collects them and has made them available to you all.

Cees Donker
August 28th, 2015, 22:33
Reviving this old thread for some information. I've got two things that don't work on my system: I can land this baby with no trouble at all, but the taihook doesn't seem to grab the cable. Fortunately I can brake enough before I reach the end of the ship! :biggrin-new: The second thing is that the catapult SHIFT+I causes the plane to sink through the deck, tail first! :dizzy:

Has anyone got a solution for these problems?

Cees

hairyspin
August 28th, 2015, 23:14
That might be because the catapult is pulling the aircraft apart? Sea Hornets didn't use the catapult afaik, they had over 4,000 hp behind those 4-blade props...

Cees Donker
August 28th, 2015, 23:33
That might be because the catapult is pulling the aircraft apart? Sea Hornets didn't use the catapult afaik, they had over 4,000 hp behind those 4-blade props...
Well, the Hornet did have a catapult provision as it seems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Hornet

Cees

delta_lima
August 28th, 2015, 23:56
Indeed. Large engines or not, the available takeoff-area length (roughly 300') of either the Majestic or Illustrious class carriers wouldn't, to my knowledge, be enough for an unassisted takeoff. I don't have off the top of my head the Sea Hornet's takeoff distance, but by way of very rough comparison, the Mosquito's was over 2400' in still air. Even factoring in better HP/W, and a headwind plus forward carrier speed, I highly doubt it could cut that takeoff distance to an eighth ...

As to his questions .... Cees,

1) what carrier are you trying to land on?
2) what does your aircraft.cfg have by way of launch assist and tailhook entries?

Here's mine, and they work fine on both the Flying Stations Victorious '45 and Lazarus' HMS Ocean conversion:

[TailHook]
tailhook_length= 4.000 //(feet)
tailhook_position= -26.800, 0.000, 0.000 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
cable_force_adjust= 2.0 //cable_force_adjust = 2

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot = 5.0, 0.0, -2.22 //launch_bar_pivot = 5.41,0.00,-2.0
launch_bar_lug = 9.923, 0.0, -7.52 //launch_bar_lug = 11.583333,0.00,-7.50

Hope that helps,

dl

Cees Donker
August 29th, 2015, 00:05
Hi dl,

I tried to land it on the Nimitz. And these are the entries in the cfg.

[TailHook]
tailhook_length= 4.000 ;(feet)
tailhook_position= -26.800, 0.000, 0.000 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
cable_force_adjust=2.0//cable_force_adjust = 2

[launch_assistance]
launch_bar_pivot = 5.0, 0.0, -2.22//launch_bar_pivot = 5.41,0.00,-2.0
launch_bar_lug = 9.923, 0.0, -7.52//launch_bar_lug = 11.583333,0.00,-7.50

So these are the same as yours.........

:wavey:

Cees

Stickshaker
August 29th, 2015, 00:20
Why don't you try taking off without the help of the catapult and then see if the hook works during landing, just to be sure? The Nimitz catapults might be way too powerful for the Sea Hornet.

SkippyBing
August 29th, 2015, 02:58
Why don't you try taking off without the help of the catapult and then see if the hook works during landing, just to be sure? The Nimitz catapults might be way too powerful for the Sea Hornet.

In FSX all catapults are equal, however from memory there is a setting in FSX.cfg that makes the catapults adaptive to the mass being launched rather than just jet fighters. Why it was set at that by default I have no idea.

From FSX Developer

fsx.CFGIn the [Realism] section.
Add/edit to enable -

CatapultForceLimiter=1 - Only fighter type aircraft can be catapulted.
CatapultForceLimiter=0 - Enables the catapult systems to generate the required force for any type of aircraft.

hairyspin
August 29th, 2015, 12:58
Well, the Hornet did have a catapult provision as it seems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Hornet

Cees

Right enough: Leahy on the Sea Hornet says they had US-style 3-point catapult fittings. Lovely aircraft!